+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Federal Court strikes down key provisions of Citizenship Act

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Judge's ruling basically reinforces that Canadian citizenship is a privilege, not a right.
I respectfully advise you to read the FULL ruling:
"....In my opinion, citizenship is a privilege only when it has not yet been obtained.....Once acquired, the rights flowing from citizenship have vested. Therefore, once acquired, citizenship is a right...”
Justice Gagné

Reactions: quasar81

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It looks like Justice Gagné reviewed the law against the Section 12 related to Crual and Unusual Punishment ONLY. Had the review been against other sections (it all comes down to the case), her conclusion may have been different.

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
"Therefore, once acquired, citizenship is a right...”
Justice Gagné
A right that is from the Bill of Rights which is a statutory right that can be subject to amend by any future government easily, not a constitution right that can last for one's lifetime or the country's lifetime, like in many other civilized countries.

Remember in Canada's history, thousands Ukrainian Canadian during WWI and Japanese Canadian during WW2 were moved to concentration camps? I'm not surprised that similar violation of rights can happen in the future again in the name of war on terror.

Last edited:

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A right that is from the Bill of Rights which is a statutory right that can be subject to amend by any future government easily, not a constitution right that can last for one's lifetime or the country's lifetime, like in many other civilized countries.

Remember in Canada's history, thousands Ukrainian Canadian during WWI and Japanese Canadian during WW2 were moved to concentrate camps? I'm not surprised that similar violation of rights can happen in the future again in the name of war on terror.
Understood. Any right can be violated. But it's still a right. We all have a right to live, but you can be killed by a criminal or a psychopath.
What I meant is that, at least, we now have the recognition by a Justice that citizenship is a right, not a priviledge (like a lot of populist bigots are repeating over and over everywhere these days). Even if I am far from being an expert, I certainly think that this rationale could be used by a Supreme Court Justice to demonstrate that citizenship is also an indirect Constitutional right, as it confers the Constitutional rights in the Charter.

Natan

May 22, 2015
The Judge's ruling basically reinforces that Canadian citizenship is a privilege, not a right.
Governments, like everyone else, make mistakes. Without due process, there are no mechanisms to redress and correct those mistakes. Under the current law, a citizen can have their citizenship revoked, even if they've done nothing wrong; even if it's a case of mistaken identity. Due process allows such a person to redress these mistakes in the courts and have them corrected.

How would you feel, screech339, if you received a letter stating that your citizenship was revoked due to your criminal actions and there was nothing you could do about it? How would you feel if you hadn't committed any crimes, but there was no way to correct this injustice? Would you be enraged? Or would you meekly compliment the Liberal Government for its infinite wisdom in revoking your citizenship and thereby making Canada a better place? Would you continue to sing the same tune, that your citizenship was never a right but only a privilege Government could revoke at its pleasure? Enquiring minds want to know!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Governments, like everyone else, make mistakes. Without due process, there are no mechanisms to redress and correct those mistakes. Under the current law, a citizen can have their citizenship revoked, even if they've done nothing wrong; even if it's a case of mistaken identity. Due process allows such a person to redress these mistakes in the courts and have them corrected.

How would you feel, screech339, if you received a letter stating that your citizenship was revoked due to your criminal actions and there was nothing you could do about it? How would you feel if you hadn't committed any crimes, but there was no way to correct this injustice? Would you be enraged? Or would you meekly compliment the Liberal Government for its infinite wisdom in revoking your citizenship and thereby making Canada a better place? Would you continue to sing the same tune, that your citizenship was never a right but only a privilege Government could revoke at its pleasure? Enquiring minds want to know!
I have no issues with my citizenship being taken away if I was CONVICTED of terrorism, misrepresentation and/or treason. Those are the only THREE options under which citizenship can be taken away. Unfortunately terrorists will win the day C-6 passes HOC and become law. You seems to think that citizenship will be revoked under other offenses besides the three. That is paranoia thinking. If the HOC wants to add a very SERIOUS conviction to the list, they have that right. I would like to know what other serious offenses do you think HOC may add to the list.

Due process seems fair to add to the process of revoking citizenship. It give you a chance to explain why you deserve to keep citizenship under false pretenses. (There are parents willing to misrepresent the facts just so their children can obtain citizenship). But it doesn't change the fact that citizenship can still be taken away, thus it is still a privilege. Once it comes to a point that citizenship can never be taken away under any circumstances, then it becomes a "right".

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

"....In my opinion, citizenship is a privilege only when it has not yet been obtained.....Once acquired, the rights flowing from citizenship have vested. Therefore, once acquired, citizenship is a right...”

Justice Gagné

Generally, if you have a link or citation to the "FULL ruling" please share at least the citation, especially if you purport to be offering a report based on the actual decision.

While I cannot provide a link, the case citation is: 2017 FC 473 (docketed and titled per the various applicants; such as, for example Docket T-1584-15 Abdulla Ahmad Hassouna v. The Minister Of Citizenship And Immigration Canada)

That noted, it appears you are not quoting the decision but rather blogger Elizabeth Raymer (and without attribution).

I would note, for example, that what you purport to be quoting from Justice Gagné's decision is the precise language used by the blogger. In contrast, this quoted language actually is taken from parts of separate paragraphs in the decision (first part of paragraph 75 and the latter part of paragraph 76) and overlooks other critical language necessary to understanding the meaning of these terms in context.

The distinction is actually important. While I will address this further below, if indeed you were following your own admonition to read the "FULL ruling," then you might have quoted the actual decision rather than a blogger, and to avoid misleading, included the following (from paragraph 155 on page 48 of the decision):

"[155] Citizenship or nationality is not a right guaranteed by the Charter."

So, to be clear, Justice Gagné ruled that "Citizenship or nationality is NOT A RIGHT guaranteed by the Charter." (emphasis added)

In any event, the following is overtly wrong:

It looks like Justice Gagné reviewed the law against the Section 12 related to Crual and Unusual Punishment ONLY. Had the review been against other sections (it all comes down to the case), her conclusion may have been different.

Justice Gagné did address whether the revocation procedure will subject an individual to cruel and unusual treatment, in violation of Section 12 of the Charter. This was in Part IV.E. of the decision beginning on page 49 (overall, paragraphs 162 to 190, page 49 to 57).

However, Justice Gagné also addressed, for example, whether the revocation process will interfere with, or deprive a person of, his or her life, liberty or security, in violation of Section 7 of the Charter.

This was done in Part IV. D. titled: Are any of subsections 10(1), 10(3), or 10(4) of the Amended Act unconstitutional as violating section 7 of the Charter?

(see paragraphs 127 to 161; found at page 39 to 49)

I quoted paragraph 155 above. It warrants repeating:

Certified questions:

Justice Gagné certified the question as to whether the revocation procedure violates Charter Section 7 or 12, or Section 2(e) of the Bill of Rights.

Reminder: Justice Gagné did rule that it violates Section 2(e) of the Bill of Rights but does NOT violate either Section 7 or 12 in the Charter of Rights.

Citizenship a privilege or a right:

There are compelling reasons why, in my previous post, I stated:

"However one characterizes what it is that citizenship is, as a privilege or a right, it is not like a license to sell real estate."

To my view, it is preferable to avoid using these terms relative to one another. After all, there are rights which apply to and protect privileges, and the nature and extent of rights which apply to and protect this or that, typically determine to what extent the government can impinge that thing, not the label. In legal decision-making, the label (right or privilege) tends to come after the fact, after the decision-maker has determined what is required to grant or take away this or that thing. In popular discourse, there is an opposite tendency, to take sides, to assert that this or that thing is, for example, a "right" and therefore the government should have to meet this higher hurdle for denying or taking this or that thing away.

A real estate license is, without a doubt, a "privilege." But nonetheless the government cannot terminate or take away a person's real estate license without due or fair process. In contrast, the right to liberty is perhaps one of the most fundamental "rights" recognized as such, but here too, the government can take away a person's liberty, and again to do so the process must be fair.

The difference is more about the nature and extent of procedural safeguards protecting persons from unfair loss of either of these things, a more strict process required to deprive a person of his or her liberty, while the process for terminating a person's real estate license is not so strict.

In particular, outside discourse in jurisprudence, use of the terms "privilege" and "right" relative to one another to characterize an individual interest almost always obfuscates, conflates, and confuses vastly more than it illuminates. Even within the confines of discourse in jurisprudence, including official judicial decisions, these terms tend to be more confusing than helpful and their usage is often badly mangled.

In contrast, for most things one might describe as either a privilege or a right, there are practical attributes, including legal status, regarding which there is usually some body of law (including decisional application) specifying the parameters for granting, issuing, withholding, limiting, infringing, or terminating that subject or thing. Thus, for example, in the hundreds of Federal Court decisions about granting citizenship, maybe a dozen or so refer to the grant of citizenship specifically as a "privilege." The vast majority of decisions address the various legal issues related to the parameters for granting or denying citizenship without relying on or mentioning that the grant of citizenship is a privilege not a right.

While Justice Gagné makes a good effort to avoid the pitfalls and misleading tangents which so often hinder the use of these terms, to some extent her language leaves the door open to the sort of misleading characterizations which too often entangle judicial references to "rights" and "privileges." Note several comments in this topic which tend to react to the characterization of citizenship as a right or privilege.

Whether it is one or the other is not really what is important. What is important is the parameters for granting, issuing, or denying citizenship (as in who and how a person becomes or is denied citizenship, which includes provisions governing who is a citizen by birth). What is important is the parameters for otherwise limiting or restricting or taking away citizenship once a person is a citizen (including revocation for fraud).

Justice Gagné repeats what has been oft cited and affirmed about the grant of citizenship: that a grant of citizenship is a privilege. She then goes on to describe what that means, first by stating this another way: "Access to citizenship . . . is a privilege."

The significance of this is that Section 2(e) in the Bill of Rights has been held to NOT be applicable to the granting of a mere privilege, "such as citizenship." (To my view it is curious that Justice Gagné cites what really is merely dicta from a decision which ruled that Section 2(e) does apply to an arbitrator's decision-making process, generally, but there was no violation of the right to a fair hearing in the particular circumstances of that case, which had nothing to do with citizenship.)

However, that tangent does not deserve much attention, since it is consistent with many other citizenship cases, including numerous revocation of citizenship cases from the old law (prior to Bill C-24).

The more general discussion related to the statement by Justice Gagné that "once acquired, citizenship is a right,", found in paragraphs 76 to 79, is actually quite limited in how the term "right" is used by Justice Gagné . . . and it really is specifically, only about ruling that citizenship (as acquired) falls within the scope of "rights and obligations" protected by the fair hearing requirement in Section 2(e) of the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Which leads this discussion back to the blunt statement Justice Gagné made in paragraph 155, which again warrants repeating:

Let me say that neither pronouncement warrants a lot of attention. Again, it is not really all that important whether one describes citizenship as a privilege or a right, particularly in this context, since what really matters are the governing parameters, for granting or denying citizenship on the access to citizenship side of things, and the governing parameters (including procedures) for restricting or revoking citizenship.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
While I have already waded deep enough into the weeds about this, the decision by then Federal Court Justice Rennie (who now sits on the Federal Court of Appeal) in the challenges to Bill C-24 brought by Rocco Galati and others, needs to be acknowledged and noted.

See Galati v. Canada (Governor General), 2015 FC 91 (CanLII) at http://canlii.ca/t/gg59f

Then Justice Rennie emphatically ruled that "Citizenship is a creature of statute," and however acquired, even if acquired by birth on Canadian soil:
" . . . it is clear that Parliament must enjoy exclusive and unqualified legislative competence over citizenship, subject only to constraints of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms."

Justice Rennie articulated more than a few statements strictly limiting the value of an individual's interest in citizenship, asserting that the Supreme Court of Canada has made it clear "there is no independent or free-standing right to citizenship except". . . as what is provided by statute in the Citizenship Act.

And all this leads back around to why I expressed disappointment in my previous post. In this regard, I must admit that the more disappointing aspects of Justice Gagné's decision are rooted in what the Liberal Minister was arguing, including in particular that the current process is fair. But there were other parts of what the Minister argued which were disappointing, perhaps even disheartening, including an argument that the case should be dismissed as against all the applicants who had not yet gone through the full revocation process, claiming that those applications are premature, when in other cases the Minister has successfully persuaded other Federal Court justices to deny a stay of revocation because those individuals did not seek a stay before Minister had made a formal decision . . . in other words, the Minister has argued that to apply for relief before the Minister rules to revoke citizenship should be barred as premature, and has also argued that a failure to apply for relief until after the Minister rules to revoke citizenship should be barred as too late. That sort of inconsistency aimed at denying judicial review of such important issues warrants more than a little contempt.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi dpenabill. Thank you for your great explanation.

1- Paragraph 155 is not the conclusion of an analysis. It is just a reminder that there is no section on the charter that explicitely says that citizenship is guaranteed as a right (conditional to section 1), as the right to enter and remain in Canada is (under section 6). We could say the same about property (in the Bill of Rights but 9not on the Charter).

2- Another point that you didn't address (or I didn't read in your comment) is that the decision is based on the fact that this is a case of misrepresentation. If you look at paragraph 154 (which I guess you did), it opens the possibility the defendants in misrepresentation cases could be deemed not to have been vested with those rights in the first place (if misrepresentation is proven, there is no citizenship in the first place, so no Charter rights). That's the main point of revocation for citizenship for fraud. If it was a revocation for other reasons (post-citizenship conduct), it would be different.

3- The quote is right. Those are the exact words used in the "FULL ruling" (for which you provided the Citation. How nice of you !). I don't know about the blogger that you cited, but my response targeted a very false and out of context conclusion that is still a very famous propaganda headline. Citizenship as a right or a privilege isn't really the point when you are arguing about misrepresentation. It's about how you prove the misrepresentation occured and how you revoke it subsequently (or not).

Last edited:

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have no issues with my citizenship being taken away if I was CONVICTED of terrorism, misrepresentation and/or treason. Those are the only THREE options under which citizenship can be taken away. Unfortunately terrorists will win the day C-6 passes HOC and become law. You seems to think that citizenship will be revoked under other offenses besides the three. That is paranoia thinking. If the HOC wants to add a very SERIOUS conviction to the list, they have that right. I would like to know what other serious offenses do you think HOC may add to the list.

Due process seems fair to add to the process of revoking citizenship. It give you a chance to explain why you deserve to keep citizenship under false pretenses. (There are parents willing to misrepresent the facts just so their children can obtain citizenship). But it doesn't change the fact that citizenship can still be taken away, thus it is still a privilege. Once it comes to a point that citizenship can never be taken away under any circumstances, then it becomes a "right".
We shouldn't mix the issues. Like conservatives do in purpose in their propaganda...

Citizenship should always be removed when misrepresentation occured before its grant. Because it's a Null and Void Citizenship, it never existed (or should have existed). This has nothing to do with the fact that it is a right or a privilege. It is not a 'legit' citizenship in the first place.

But Citizenship shouldn't be removed for conduct that occured AFTER it was granted. A legal citizenship should, in my opinion, be a right. Especially when you start to pick and choose the people who will be affected by such a measure.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

You are, unfortunately, completely misunderstanding the legal meaning of the words "rights" and "privilege". There are many "rights" that can be taken away from you. For example, you have the right to vote. However, if you commit particular criminal offences, you are stripped of your right to vote. That does not change that it is a right and not a privilege. You have the right to personal freedom. However, if you commit a crime, the government can take this right away from you by putting you into prison. Again: Just because the state can take it away from you that doesn't mean it is not a right. The importance is when and how the government can take things away from you.

The actual distinction between a privilege and a right is this:

A right is something you can DEMAND from the government. They MUST give it to you and/or let you keep it unless they, the government can provide serious reasons as prescribed by law that allow them you deprive you of that right. Examples: Freedom, Life, Citizenship, Free Movement, ...

A privilege is something the government can decide to give you or not or to take away or not. You cannot, under any circumstance, DEMAND to get that privilege. An example are licences. No one can DEMAND from the government to get a licence to open a bar. No one can DEMAND from the government to get a fishing licence. You can ask for one, but the government can simply say "ehm... no". There are, of course some bounds. Even although fishing licences are a privilege the government can't just say "no one whose first name starts with M won't get one because M is an ugly letter". So even with a privilege, the government can't be completely arbitrary and has to show some consistency on who they give that privilege and who they don't. But you can not DEMAND from the government to give you the privilege simply because you fulfil the formal requirements.

You can DEMAND in court that the government lets you move freely within Canada. You cannot, however, DEMAND in court that the government gives you a fishing licence.

So again, it is simply a legally false statement that citizenship is a privilege. You might very well FEEL PRIVILEGED to be a citizen. That has nothing to do with the fact that citizenship is a right.

Even under the current law, where citizenship can be taken away from convicted terrorists etc, citizenship is a right. Because, note again: The government can only take away citizenship from a convicted terrorist. They must FIRST prove that that person is a terrorist and THEN they can take away the citizenship.

It is, again, incorrect, that simply the fact something can be taken away from you under certain proven circumstances (freedom, citizenship, ...) makes it a privilege.

This is not my personal opinion but in fact legal consensus.

Please note, that the naturalization rules in the Citizenship Act are in the first part of the Act which is even labelled "Part I The ------>RIGHT<----- to Citizenship".

You can read up on this in the Act if you want to:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-29/FullText.html

Citizenship is a right. Citizenship is not a privilege. Period.

This does not change that Citizenship is not a right protected by the Charter of Rights and Freedooms. As has been pointed out earlier, Parliament can change the right to citizenship without any constitutional ramification. But as of the current status, it is a right.

Last edited:

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
A right can be taken away from you after the operation of due process of law. That is what this case is about: What is the standard for due process in a citizenship revocation case for misrepresentation? Evidently, in the justice's opinion--and anyone who gives a darn about due process--it is not some bureaucrat in Ottawa deciding you are no longer a citizen according to their whim. This violates all manner of democratic norms and it is very sad that anyone in the political elite of a supposedly democratic polity ever thought such a standard was up to snuff--and in this both governing parties are implicated. But moreover the sentiment afoot in society that "citizenship (once obtained legally) is a privilege not a right" is a scary illustration that all kinds of democratic norms are under threat today from an emerging post-liberal authoritarian sensibility across the West. It is something anyone concerned with democracy and due process rights should fear.

But now for a practical question: what is the effect of this decision on Bill C-6--the sticking point of which seemed to be just this question of what due process requires in citizenship revocation cases?

Last edited:

Natan

May 22, 2015
We shouldn't mix the issues. Like conservatives do in purpose in their propaganda...

Citizenship should always be removed when misrepresentation occured before its grant. Because it's a Null and Void Citizenship, it never existed (or should have existed). This has nothing to do with the fact that it is a right or a privilege. It is not a 'legit' citizenship in the first place.

But Citizenship shouldn't be removed for conduct that occured AFTER it was granted. A legal citizenship should, in my opinion, be a right. Especially when you start to pick and choose the people who will be affected by such a measure.
In my opinion, a "legitimate" determination that misrepresentation occurred before the grant of citizenship can only be obtained via due process of law, including the accused's right to examine the evidence, and confront the witnesses, against them. Adjudication by a government official that allows for inadequate, or no, due process lacks "legitimacy" and should be constitutionally impermissible. Finding a citizenship "null and void" after the fact ought to require all the due process and rigourous safeguards afforded any other serious criminal proceeding.

Reactions: admontreal

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
In my opinion, a "legitimate" determination that misrepresentation occurred before the grant of citizenship can only be obtained via due process of law, including the accused's right to examine the evidence, and confront the witnesses, against them. Adjudication by a government official that allows for inadequate, or no, due process lacks "legitimacy" and should be constitutionally impermissible. Finding a citizenship "null and void" after the fact ought to require all the due process and rigourous safeguards afforded any other serious criminal proceeding.

Well put.

admontreal

Feb 15, 2011
Montreal, QC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I cannot agree more !