+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

February 2022 - Citizenship Applications

mannitscar

Star Member
Nov 9, 2022
They are processed on a first-come first served basis. However, not all applications are the same. For some people, the background check is prolonged because of their countries of origin, maybe people with similar names, travel history, or any other delay. Imagine if they stopped processing every case as soon as they got to a "slow case", if they did that then nobody would get their applications processed in time. The application process is very complex and we don't know all the details of it, I don't personally believe there is any discrimination or favoritism.

This forum is useful to have an idea of the timelines, but it's also anxiety-inducing. Take a step back, and take It easy even if it's not the easiest thing. It's not worth it to cause so much anxiety on yourself over a process that you have absolutely no control over.

Also, for the people who are getting ghost updates, that's good. It means that officers are working on your case. If you haven't been asked for FP then you will probably be asked soon. FP asked for PR purposes do not carry over to Citizenship. I was asked for FP in both processes.
What's perplexing to me is I'm from the UK. I've lived here 10 years. I am married to a Canadian, I have two Canadian children. Worked the whole time, always filed taxes. Always held a passport. Only left the country 3 times in 10 years for vacation. Less than 6 weeks total. Single Applicant. It should be very straight forward. The anxiety is my life is kind of st a standstill til I know what is happening with my application. I was going to book a trip home for Xmas but if I'm waiting for passports I won't be able to, I can't apply for my passport renewal until I know about my application and my kids can't get uk passports until then either.

Reactions: twztedelegance

SPADMASH

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Wow no update in my file. I am waiting.. my last update was dec1 citizenship test completed. How long it will take for them to update to complete and for DM god only knows..

Starbuck1210

Star Member
Mar 14, 2022
Calgary
What's perplexing to me is I'm from the UK. I've lived here 10 years. I am married to a Canadian, I have two Canadian children. Worked the whole time, always filed taxes. Always held a passport. Only left the country 3 times in 10 years for vacation. Less than 6 weeks total. Single Applicant. It should be very straight forward. The anxiety is my life is kind of st a standstill til I know what is happening with my application. I was going to book a trip home for Xmas but if I'm waiting for passports I won't be able to, I can't apply for my passport renewal until I know about my application and my kids can't get uk passports until then either.
My case is similarly perplexing. I have been in Canada since 2017. I haven't left for ANY reason. I lost family members and I didn't get to leave to go to funerals because I was worried about my citizenship and covid (getting stuck there and not being able to return). I'm from the states so not a super sketchy place (lmao). I am also married to a Canadian. I've never been late or owed on taxes. I own my car and have a mortgage. I've never even been late on a library book. I want to know what about my application is taking longer. Because you're absolutely right - they are in NO way processing us in order or even fairly in my opinion. I've been non stop stressed for ALMOST a year. It's crap.

mannitscar

Star Member
Nov 9, 2022
My case is similarly perplexing. I have been in Canada since 2017. I haven't left for ANY reason. I lost family members and I didn't get to leave to go to funerals because I was worried about my citizenship and covid (getting stuck there and not being able to return). I'm from the states so not a super sketchy place (lmao). I am also married to a Canadian. I've never been late or owed on taxes. I own my car and have a mortgage. I've never even been late on a library book. I want to know what about my application is taking longer. Because you're absolutely right - they are in NO way processing us in order or even fairly in my opinion. I've been non stop stressed for ALMOST a year. It's crap.
Yes exactly. I've owned 3 homes here never missed payments. I'd like to know too what could be holding things up. Let's see if I get a response

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
they can pick up but cant process in order. if thats the case then one application stuck in security screening will hold up remaining applications lol.
fifo cant be applied here.

Reactions: Carlinius

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018

On the bright side, both of you have a US or UK country passport so traveling anywhere isn't really a hassle. I am not sure about the UK but I do notice that sometimes a lot of US applicants' applications get held up because data sharing from the US side is slow (especially during covid). Other times, its the fault of IRCC. Some files are assigned to case officers who are no longer on the job, and nobody is processing them for long periods of time. So......in summary, it's hard to say. But I also find it a little difficult to understand why it would take a long time to process applications coming from developed countries with well developed systems already in place.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ircc-immigration-officer-container-placeholder-code-inactive-list-1.6669571

Reactions: somak2001

Starbuck1210

Star Member
Mar 14, 2022
Calgary
On the bright side, both of you have a US or UK country passport so traveling anywhere isn't really a hassle. I am not sure about the UK but I do notice that sometimes a lot of US applicants' applications get held up because data sharing from the US side is slow (especially during covid). Other times, its the fault of IRCC. Some files are assigned to case officers who are no longer on the job, and nobody is processing them for long periods of time. So......in summary, it's hard to say. But I also find it a little difficult to understand why it would take a long time to process applications coming from developed countries with well developed systems already in place.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ircc-immigration-officer-container-placeholder-code-inactive-list-1.6669571
Oh wow. I hadn't heard about that before. That's insane with the one officer from NS with 9k plus assigned. It's disappointing to heat that anyone could end up in that situation.

I know the one time I reached out to them they did answer directly from the testing email and did actually answer the question I had and not just a general response. Hopefully that means I'm safe with an active officer.

Reactions: smash1984

jsjaspreet93

Star Member
Jan 9, 2016
Hello everyone,

applied for citizenship on Feb 11,2022 and completed my oath ceremony on Jan 31,2023.

waiting for citizenship certificate now.

Reactions: Nbjam

RickyT

Star Member
Sep 13, 2015
I wouldn't worry so much as your timeline is relevantly normal for applications that are being processed in Vancouver. I would bet you will receive Oath within a few weeks.

Starbuck1210

Star Member
Mar 14, 2022
Calgary
Don't worry, Vancouver (west) is slow to process. You are at the very last step in the process, it will be any day/week now.
Part of my anxiety comes from the fact that if this takes months longer, I need to start applying for renewal on my PR. Just trying to wait it out as long as I can. I'm 9 months out now from it expiring.

Noslord2003

Star Member
May 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
17-02-2017
AOR Received.
12-03-2017
Med's Done....
June
Interview........
25-01-2018
LANDED..........
25-01-2018
Part of my anxiety comes from the fact that if this takes months longer, I need to start applying for renewal on my PR. Just trying to wait it out as long as I can. I'm 9 months out now from it expiring.
My Pr card will expire next month, i dont plan to renew it until i get my passport, worst case i wont be travelling out of canada.