+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

February 2020 - Citizenship Applicants

ChopCh0p

Feb 25, 2020
Hello Everyone,

I have quick two questions here:

1) Is that normal/standard that my citizenship application processing office is located in Sydney, NS?
2) My application has been received on Feb 17th which is 5-6 business days ago. Is that expected/normal that I haven't received an official confirmation email from CIC that they have received my application and starting their review etc.? How long it usually takes?

Thank you!

elwaver

Star Member
Jul 6, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I have quick two questions here:

1) Is that normal/standard that my citizenship application processing office is located in Sydney, NS?
2) My application has been received on Feb 17th which is 5-6 business days ago. Is that expected/normal that I haven't received an official confirmation email from CIC that they have received my application and starting their review etc.? How long it usually takes?

Thank you!
You (like all of us here) have a looong wait ahead of you to get that confirmation, buddy. 2-3 months give or take these days.

Reactions: ChopCh0p

ChopCh0p

Feb 25, 2020
You (like all of us here) have a looong wait ahead of you to get that confirmation, buddy. 2-3 months give or take these days.
So I assume that 12 months of citizenship application "processing time" is not even close to being a realistic timeline and it could take longer than 1 year?

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
So I assume that 12 months of citizenship application "processing time" is not even close to being a realistic timeline and it could take longer than 1 year?
12 Months is Avg. timeline. Few could take less than that and few could take more time. Usually the first step is getting AOR email from CIC that acknowledges the receipt of the application after completeness check. The AOR takes around 70-90 days depending on application from the day it is delivered to CIC. So you could expect it sometime in May if CIC thinks its complete.

if anything is missing, then usually CIC will send back the application.

After getting the AOR, the application moves into 'in process' status, which usually takes around ~30 days after AOR. The next step is either getting a Finger Prints request or Test invite.

After Test invite and Interview, the final step is oath, which could take from 1 day to 3 months.

I personally know people whose citizenship application processing took less than 6 months. And there are a lot of posts in this forum with more than 18 months processing time.

So each application is unique, and hope for the best! Good luck.

Reactions: ChopCh0p

ChopCh0p

Feb 25, 2020
12 Months is Avg. timeline. Few could take less than that and few could take more time. Usually the first step is getting AOR email from CIC that acknowledges the receipt of the application after completeness check. The AOR takes around 70-90 days depending on application from the day it is delivered to CIC. So you could expect it sometime in May if CIC thinks its complete.

if anything is missing, then usually CIC will send back the application.

After getting the AOR, the application moves into 'in process' status, which usually takes around ~30 days after AOR. The next step is either getting a Finger Prints request or Test invite.

After Test invite and Interview, the final step is oath, which could take from 1 day to 3 months.

I personally know people whose citizenship application processing took less than 6 months. And there are a lot of posts in this forum with more than 18 months processing time.

So each application is unique, and hope for the best! Good luck.
Thanks a lot for your detailed response! Really appreciate that!

So it is fine that my citizenship application's processing office located in Sydney, NS? Just want to make sure that it's the correct one :)

Reactions: canvisa13

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Thanks a lot for your detailed response! Really appreciate that!

So it is fine that my citizenship application's processing office located in Sydney, NS? Just want to make sure that it's the correct one :)
Sydney, NS is the centralized intake office for all initial applications. After the AOR, your file will be sent to local office depending on your address. If you are in Toronto, it could be either Scarborough or Mississauga.

When the status changes to 'In Process', then you can assume that your file is with local CIC office.

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I think i am still to post my application. I will file my 2016 return and make the correction in application. Take a new print out and submit it. That should work right ?
Yes of course, no doubt. Simple - All the years in the eligibility calculator should be listed and answered.

maxpayne

Aug 23, 2014
Canada
Hi admin could you please add me to the google spreadsheet.
App Sent: Feb 25, 2020
App Received: TBD
Type of application: Single
Physical presence: 1,107 days

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
It is definitely amusing that my PR process - which involved so much more documentation and verifications with work ex, education, proof of funds etc took 3 months from submission to getting COPR. The Citizenship app with barely a few documents will take take so much longer. Is it the backlog? I would think they receive magnitudes more PR applications than Citizenship applications.

Either way, no complaints as thankfully no one is in a rush to get Citizenship

xlnc7

Dec 10, 2015
NOC Code......
A-1122
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2015
AOR Received.
17-10-2015
Med's Done....
19-10-2015
Passport Req..
06-04-2016
Help
In Section 5, List of all names used.

Do i need to mention my current name and the reason in the table? I had only one name in my life which is the principal applicant name at the time of PR as well

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
Help
In Section 5, List of all names used.

Do i need to mention my current name and the reason in the table? I had only one name in my life which is the principal applicant name at the time of PR as well
Just mention your current name and the reason being 'name at birth'. The other reasons are applicable if you had more than 1 name in your life

Last edited:
Reactions: canvisa13

xlnc7

Dec 10, 2015
NOC Code......
A-1122
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2015
AOR Received.
17-10-2015
Med's Done....
19-10-2015
Passport Req..
06-04-2016
Just mention your current name and the reason being 'name at birth'. The other reasons are application if you had more than 1 name in your life
Thanks a ton !

keypad

Sep 29, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-10-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
15-10-2013
Med's Done....
26-10-2013
Passport Req..
15-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-09-2015
I am preparing my application and want to confirm which of the addresses I should use if I send my application through the CanadaPost Xpress post service. Is it considered to be regular mail or the courier mail?

soumya2k2

Star Member
May 4, 2010
United Kingdom
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-04-2017
AOR Received.
31-05-2017
File Transfer...
07-08-2017
Med's Request
07-08-2017
Med's Done....
07-08-2017
Passport Req..
22-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2017
Just mention your current name and the reason being 'name at birth'. The other reasons are applicable if you had more than 1 name in your life
I dont think thats quite right. It clearly says in the instruction guide -

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step4

We need to know all of the names you have ever used in order to verify your identity. If you used any other names other than the one being requested in your grant of citizenship application, print them in the chart. Examples: Name at time of birth, name before marriage, previous married names, married name, nick names or any other names you have used. If you have legally changed your name, see Appendix A – Changing the name on your document.

To be on the safe side - we put it as N/A.

lifein360

Jan 23, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 17, 2017
Med's Done....
Feb 20, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 20, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 24, 2017
LANDED..........
Apr 23, 2017
I dont think thats quite right. It clearly says in the instruction guide -

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step4

We need to know all of the names you have ever used in order to verify your identity. If you used any other names other than the one being requested in your grant of citizenship application, print them in the chart. Examples: Name at time of birth, name before marriage, previous married names, married name, nick names or any other names you have used. If you have legally changed your name, see Appendix A – Changing the name on your document.

To be on the safe side - we put it as N/A.
they’ve asked for all the names you have ever used. If you had only one name then you have to put that in there in correct format matching your official documentation.Are you saying the reason should be N/A? I don’t think putting name at birth is wrong either If it actually was your name at birth.

Reactions: Asfano74