+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Feb 2014 test & interview passers

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But they did not ask for consent from you, did they?

To me, during interview Immi Officer did not say anything but after 2.5 months of test they are asking for the consent.. not sure how much time it will take them to get the records, review and send the oath.

Does CIC has access to CBSA systems or do they request it just like we do from ATIP site?

chakrab said:
I had the same issue, but since I stay in Windsor, I guess the officer understood it better. I mentioned to her I have a really close school friend in Michigan whom I visit almost every month, other than doing grocery, watching sports and movies, going to IKEA. :D

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vinaypuri said:
But they did not ask for consent from you, did they?

To me, during interview Immi Officer did not say anything but after 2.5 months of test they are asking for the consent.. not sure how much time it will take them to get the records, review and send the oath.

Does CIC has access to CBSA systems or do they request it just like we do from ATIP site?
the officer grilled me good for the US visits. in fact I asked her, are applicants advised against US visits even from a border city? she told me nicely that it's only a procedure, anyone can visit anywhere. however applicants will be viewed the same way whether they visit china or usa. just because it's a border city, it doesn't matter in terms of the application.

she already had my report in the file and it felt like she was also viewing them on the screen. did you make many travels after the test? i have heard that travelling too close to the test causes red flag, as if someone just came for the test.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC can get CBSA data any time, but I believe they want your consent for legal reasons.

Purrple

Nov 5, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well there are two ceremonies on the 24th, 25th and 31st - hence im being hopeful :)

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Chakrab.. no I did not make any trips before or after the test. I have one coming up in April mid to LA for business.

I hope they are able to retrieve info. from CBSA and do not issue a RQ.

chakrab said:
the officer grilled me good for the US visits. in fact I asked her, are applicants advised against US visits even from a border city? she told me nicely that it's only a procedure, anyone can visit anywhere. however applicants will be viewed the same way whether they visit china or usa. just because it's a border city, it doesn't matter in terms of the application.

she already had my report in the file and it felt like she was also viewing them on the screen. did you make many travels after the test? i have heard that travelling too close to the test causes red flag, as if someone just came for the test.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vinaypuri said:
Thanks Chakrab.. no I did not make any trips before or after the test. I have one coming up in April mid to LA for business.

I hope they are able to retrieve info. from CBSA and do not issue a RQ.
did the officer mention if he/she was going to recommend you to the judge in the positive?

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
She did not say anything, all she said that your oath will be in 2 Months, you don't need to bring Passport and other documents, all you need is your PR card.

chakrab said:
did the officer mention if he/she was going to recommend you to the judge in the positive?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:
What is your source for this?
source that they can get from CBSA? for the PR renewal they dont ask for permission (not sure if that changed too) but they do a background check from CBSA anyway.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vinaypuri said:
She did not say anything, all she said that your oath will be in 2 Months, you don't need to bring Passport and other documents, all you need is your PR card.
that sounds positive to me. may be the judge wanted a closer look. be positive. hope you don't have to renew the PR card any time soon.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
chakrab said:
source that they can get from CBSA? for the PR renewal they dont ask for permission (not sure if that changed too) but they do a background check from CBSA anyway.
The most recent citizenship application form clearly states that if you DO NOT give CIC permission to get CBSA entry records directly, you will be required to get them yourself and send them in and that it might delay your file. Why all the bureaucratic roundabout, if they can just look them up anytime they want? There are also recent reports of applicants who gave CIC permission to get CBSA records directly at time of application being asked to sign the same form again after the test.

I am skeptical CIC can legally obtain this info without your permission.

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks chakrab, I hope the same. I am glad I already got my PR card renewed until 2017.

If CIC local offices have easy access to CBSA systems then it should be quick. If they do not have that access, it will take another 6 weeks for them to get the records, then another 2-3 weeks to validate.. and probably 2-3 month journey.

chakrab said:
that sounds positive to me. may be the judge wanted a closer look. be positive. hope you don't have to renew the PR card any time soon.

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yeah, I found it weird too... I wonder if the consent they could use only at Sydney not in the local office? but if they did background check, why would the judge have to do it again...

I guess, no one knows the process they follow. Hoping for the best.

links18 said:
The most recent citizenship application form clearly states that if you DO NOT give CIC permission to get CBSA entry records directly, you will be required to get them yourself and send them in and that it might delay your file. Why all the bureaucratic roundabout, if they can just look them up anytime they want? There are also recent reports of applicants who gave CIC permission to get CBSA records directly at time of application being asked to sign the same form again after the test.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
links18 said:

like i said, it's probably for legal reasons. they are kinda snooping into your travel history and am sure someone filed a case against them. may be the CIC is trying to cover all legal bases.

this link says cbsa and cic can share information between themselves.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/mou/mou-cbsa.asp

vinaypuri

Jan 1, 2014
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the link Chakrab... I hope they have access to actual information systems.. or else, if they are relying on postal/faxes.. it will take foreever.

chakrab said:
like i said, it's probably for legal reasons. they are kinda snooping into your travel history and am sure someone filed a case against them. may be the CIC is trying to cover all legal bases.

this link says cbsa and cic can share information between themselves.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/mou/mou-cbsa.asp