+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FBI PCC for study permit: no time and no solution?

lost_soul

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Hi everyone,

FYI, this is a follow up of this thread.

I am applying for a Study permit for a Master's of Mathematics at McGill for the second time. The first time was in July, I applied online from the US because I worked there. It was denied all together because I didn't attach US immigration documents (I could have sent them as a complement in 30 seconds...). I still have the list of documents required in front of me, and none of them suggested to send immigration documents, nor an FBI clearance or anything like that. The list on the CIC website is simple and I trusted it. It's my fault for not going above and beyond and looking for more lists, I didn't realize CIC was a deceiving piece of s*** at the time.

I am now trying to apply for a second time, with every possible and imaginable document in hand. I am applying from Morocco on paper, and the FBI clearance requirement appears as a small, hidden text in the form IMM5846 listing the documents to provide. Issue is this document takes 4 months to obtain. This would mean I won't have my study permit on time for January 2018. I am aware Immigration services would give me 60 days to provide the document, but they know very well that i takes 4 months to get it...so this is not a solution.

I am kindly asking for anyone who lived a similar situation, or knows of ANY possible solution, because I left my trading job in NYC, my H1B visa and my life in the US for this Master's program at McGill.

P.S: FBI Channelers are not an option because 1) they only provide services for US citizens and green card holders and 2) CIC doesn't accept them...

Thanks in advance for your help

lost_soul

Star Member
Aug 1, 2017
Just wanted to send an update for anyone in my case in the future. I sent a first email with my story to the Canadian Consulate. The first response was generic and spit out whatever is on the CIC website.

My response then took a different tone and was very detailed, alarming and polite, explaining I lost everything (excellent job and salary, H1B visa, and about to lose admission) because of this procedure. I attached CV, Admission letter, CAQ and linkedin profile.

Surprisingly, the consulate mentioned that, assuming my study permit application is accepted, they would issue a study permit without the official FBI criminal history if not received 15 days before start of classes. I would still have to send the FBI application receipt along with my application file, and send the criminal report to them as soon as I receive it.

Let's hope this time all goes well...

Reactions: hossain2