+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FBI clearance questions

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
I became a PR in 2018 and was in the US before then on work visa. But I am a citizen of India. After completing my landing in 2018, I went back to the US and then finally moved for good in 2020. I am now planning to apply for my citizenship. I realize that I have lived in the US for more than 180 days continuously in the last 4 years (right before making my move to Canada in 2020). I have the following questions:

- Do I need an FBI clearance certificate in this case? I had submitted it during my PR application process.

- In case I need the FBI clearance certificate, can I use an extra copy of my prints from 2017 that I got when I did it at that time? FBI site says "You must provide a current fingerprint card. Previously processed cards or copies will not be accepted." Mine is a sealed set but I got them in 2017, so they are not really"current".

Any answers would be very helpful. Thanks you.

sidroy09

Jul 26, 2013
I became a PR in 2018 and was in the US before then on work visa. But I am a citizen of India. After completing my landing in 2018, I went back to the US and then finally moved for good in 2020. I am now planning to apply for my citizenship. I realize that I have lived in the US for more than 180 days continuously in the last 4 years (right before making my move to Canada in 2020). I have the following questions:

- Do I need an FBI clearance certificate in this case? I had submitted it during my PR application process.

- In case I need the FBI clearance certificate, can I use an extra copy of my prints from 2017 that I got when I did it at that time? FBI site says "You must provide a current fingerprint card. Previously processed cards or copies will not be accepted." Mine is a sealed set but I got them in 2017, so they are not really"current".

I had the exact same case like yours and timeline as well.
I would recommend getting new fingerprints. I did the same.

Reactions: cicuser

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
I had the exact same case like yours and timeline as well.
I would recommend getting new fingerprints. I did the same.
Hi Sidroy09,
Looks like we are in the same boat. How did you get your fingerprints and FBI background check in the US. And how long did it take for you.

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018

Hi, can you please share how you were able to get fingerprinted and FBI background check while in Canada

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
I didn't get my fingerprints as I decided to wait few more months and then apply for citizenship to avoid this situation. My citizenship application is currently in process and so far no fingerprint request has come.

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
I didn't get my fingerprints as I decided to wait few more months and then apply for citizenship to avoid this situation. My citizenship application is currently in process and so far no fingerprint request has come.
I applied a days back and got a request to upload police clearance certificate