File Transfer...
Jun 17, 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 26, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 24, 2014
LANDED..........
Nov 29, 2014
I am attempting to get an FBI background check. Unfortunately, it hasn't been easy, as I assume nothing in this process will be. First I called around to local and state law enforcement. From them I either got the response, "we can take your fingerprints but we don't have the FBI cards to put them on," or "We no longer do fingerprinting for immigration." Eventually after going back and forth with a number of people and agencies all suggesting I go talk to another agency or person, I was told to call Fieldprint. I set up an appointment immediately got my fingerprints taken and they were digitally sent to the FBI. In return I was given my FBI background check in PDF format by email within the day. Unfortunately, I soon realized this was wrong and I need an official copy of my background check and that in order to get this I would have to go directly through the FBI.

But now I just have more questions. For one, it says I can download the fingerprinting form here fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/criminal-history-summary-checks/standard-fingerprint-form-fd-258 but can I just print it out on regular 8X11 printing paper? Does it have to be a special kind of paper? Additionally, I was told by someone that deals with immigration to get my finger prints done digitally because it helps with processing time. But if I get my finger prints taken digitally, how do I send them to the FBI? Do they have to be printed on that form in the link? I had my fingerprints taken digitally when I used the third party but they sent my prints and information to the FBI, not me, and I didn't get a physical copy back.

I feel pretty disheartened at this point that a simple background check has become this much of an obstacle for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
I don't know if there's any way to get digital prints accepted for CIC's purposes. However, I do know that printing the fingerprint card on regular printer paper and using that is absolutely fine. That's how ours were done (I was SUPER paranoid about problems, as I was throughout the PR application process, so I had two sets of prints done, and sent a cover letter stating that I had included an extra set in case they had any difficulty with the first). No problems, and I had my letter less than 7 weeks later.

Cheeseburger

Star Member
Feb 6, 2013
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 16, 2014
AOR Received.
Jun 15, 2014
File Transfer...
Jun 17, 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 26, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jul 24, 2014
LANDED..........
Nov 29, 2014
Thank you, that makes me feel much better!

vctbs1107

Star Member
Jan 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm a bit worried cause they got my package 3 weeks ago and nothing has been charged on my credit card...I just wish to see this 18USD charge on it.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
vctbs1107 said:
I'm a bit worried cause they got my package 3 weeks ago and nothing has been charged on my credit card...I just wish to see this 18USD charge on it.
You won't see a charge until they actually are ready to check your file and send your results. I didn't see the charge on my card for almost exactly 6 weeks from the date they received the package. When you do finally see that charge, depending on where in the world you are having them sent, you should get them within a few days.

quebec23

Star Member
May 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
Doc's Request.
23-09-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013
Passport Req..
24-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2014
LANDED..........
28-01-2014
I'm in Sherbrooke, Québec.
Thanks man!

b4roness

Jun 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2014
Doc's Request.
New Police Cert. 11-02-2014
AOR Received.
Sponsor Approval 19-02-2014
Med's Done....
Nov-2013
Interview........
January 22, 2015 - Vienna - FAILED - Appealing.
Passport Req..
Exempt
LANDED..........
In God's time.
Hi all!

Here's the low down from a local NY-er. I initially did my prints with help of a Notary up in Toronto. I printed the FBI fingerprint form on a regular piece of office paper. No problem. The notary just required that i have two witnesses sign for their own legal purposes... I sent that in around mid May 2013, and when i called the FBI mid August and asked where the application was, at first i was told it didn't arrive but they will double check over the weekend. I called back monday and they found it! It had arrived July 24, 2013, but it was missing my application form! I faxed a signed form over asap and called them an hour later to confirm they got it, and they did! So, it's SUPER EASY to get your FBI clearance (unless you didn't fill in the info correctly or your prints go over the borders of the boxes)
So, give them time. It DOES INDEED take about 70 days or so. If someone's gotten it faster, that was luck. The ladies at the FBI told me they get about 2000 applications a day and they try to enter as many as possible when they arrive. It's a mess. The ladies working there were extremely informative and helpful and found my application.
Hope that my little story gives you guys a glimmer of hope and don't worry.
Also, because it's taking a while for me to apply, since ANY and all clearances have a 3 month 'freshness' period (aka you gotta send them in within three months of receiving them, THEN they last a full year. Hope that made sense) I am re-sending my FBI clearance request this monday, this time from Europe. The local Police dept. did the prints for me, free, no issues, and said that they get at least a handful of people a day to do foreign print requests.
The FBI also confirmed that it doesn't matter where the prints are done and who does them - as long as they are done good and clean and you fill in the little boxes above your prints correctly. Feel free to message me for more details if any of this didn't make sense!!!

Angie

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
70 days is a longer-than-usual wait, based on the experiences others have shared here on the forum. They usually take around 6 weeks, give or take.

Also, I don't believe the police certificates have an expiry date. Yes, they must be received by CIC within 3 months of the date they were issued, but once CIC has them, they do not generally expire. It is possible for CIC to request a new police certificate, but that is not normal. Many people have had to redo medicals, but I've not seen any who had to resubmit police certificates, assuming they were received within the 3 month timeframe to begin with.

B4roness, congrats on them finding your missing request, and on being able to fax in the application form! Would have been a pain to have to redo the whole thing.

b4roness

Jun 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2014
Doc's Request.
New Police Cert. 11-02-2014
AOR Received.
Sponsor Approval 19-02-2014
Med's Done....
Nov-2013
Interview........
January 22, 2015 - Vienna - FAILED - Appealing.
Passport Req..
Exempt
LANDED..........
In God's time.
QuebecOkie said:
70 days is a longer-than-usual wait, based on the experiences others have shared here on the forum. They usually take around 6 weeks, give or take.

Also, I don't believe the police certificates have an expiry date. Yes, they must be received by CIC within 3 months of the date they were issued, but once CIC has them, they do not generally expire. It is possible for CIC to request a new police certificate, but that is not normal. Many people have had to redo medicals, but I've not seen any who had to resubmit police certificates, assuming they were received within the 3 month timeframe to begin with.

B4roness, congrats on them finding your missing request, and on being able to fax in the application form! Would have been a pain to have to redo the whole thing.
Thanks! I know, I was so sad that I had forgotten it. It's easy to skip something so tiny when the rest of your file is huge.

Yes, you got it on point. Three months to file, but, i did ask fellow forum people (and on the facebook extention of this forum), as well as my own lawyer, and they do have a shelf life of one year. I've heard from some members that they were asked to resubmit not only the medical but a clearance too. YES, it's rare though, so you're pretty much right about the lack of resubmissions. On the other hand, the medical CAN be extended a few months past it's one year validity. This decision is the officer's who's handling your case.
Sorry if i sound pressing, just passing all the info I've picked up along the way because it seems like that each individual officer has his/her own little set of guidelines which they abide by. Sigh...

(So glad this forum exists lol)

Angie

dpk1234

Apr 23, 2013
US
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
05-Oct-2013
Med's Done....
15-Oct-2013
Passport Req..
23-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-01-2014
LANDED..........
27-03-2014
My application reached FBI office on Oct 3rd, as of today I didn't receive my PCC. Others please post your fbi pcc status in this forum.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
QuebecOkie said:
Recently the wait has gone up to 10 weeks or more. This is due to the backlog from the government stoppage and other cuts to the department.

dpk1234

Apr 23, 2013
US
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
05-Oct-2013
Med's Done....
15-Oct-2013
Passport Req..
23-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-01-2014
LANDED..........
27-03-2014
Finally, I got my report today. Now, I have to wait for my wife's FBI PCC. Hoping to receive it within the next 1 week.

dpk1234 said:
My application reached FBI office on Oct 3rd, as of today I didn't receive my PCC. Others please post your fbi pcc status in this forum.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
dpk1234 said:
Finally, I got my report today. Now, I have to wait for my wife's FBI PCC. Hoping to receive it within the next 1 week.
why would you need your and your wifes FBI PCC? Which one of you is the sponsor, which the applicant? Only the applicant need the PCC ....

Firebolt3y

Nov 19, 2013
Hi my wife is filing for australian PR and I am secondary applicant. Was following this topic so wanted to contribute. I am in the usa and My application was received on oct 28th and I called them up today. He said that because of the govt shutdown the files are delayed. The current times are by 6 weeks the credit card will be charged. By 8 weeks the Record will be on database and the doc will be mailed after 8 weeks. So the total of 9 to 10 weeks in all
As our application deadline is dec 15th I asked him what to be done for which he said Canada and Australia immigration will consider the fact that there are delays due to govt shutdown and it would be OK.
I hope they consider this

octprwaiting

Star Member
Oct 15, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do we need to send separate request of me and my dependent to FBI or I can send both in one envelope.