+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FBI background check takes 3 months, now what?

Jun 10, 2015
My husband is American and I'm sponsoring him. For starters, they're asking for ridiculous things like the date he met my family ( I have no idea) or the date he proposed (I have a vague memory of this) or the details of the time we first met and the venue (I just made up random stuff as my memory is so bad and this is personal information not meant for sharing with the government)

Anyway, I filled out these STUPID POINTLESS forms and now they want an FBI background check for my husband. I went to the website, the FBI background check takes 3 months or longer.

Question: Can I send my application without the background check since the process takes 18 months anyway? And then just send the background check when I get it in 3 months?

I know this means my application is incomplete but I really just want to send it out and be done with it at this point.

canadausa#11

Jan 5, 2016
Stupid pointless forms/information? When you're sponsoring your spouse to come be a PR in Canada, I would say evidence of a real relationship and how it developed is not really pointless information and is kinda needed by the 'government' to make an informed decision.

krishnalynn

May 15, 2015
Calgary, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-12-2015
File Transfer...
08-01-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
16-10-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 15-04-2016
You're immigrating to a new country. The date that your husband proposed to you is an important date in the development of your relationship in the eyes of CIC. And you don't remember how you met your husband so you made something up? These are legal forms and that's misrepresentation. They're trying to assess how genuine your relationship is. If you get called in for an interview, they will ask you these questions and you'll have to answer with the same answers that you made up on your form and hope you don't get called out on the lie.

But to answer your question, yes you can send it without the FBI check and send it later. Just an FYI--it's more like >4 months, I still haven't received mine in the mail yet and I hit the 4 month mark last week.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Don't fake details or dates if you don't know them. That can sometimes catch up with you later. If you don't know an exact date - give the year or year range (e.g. early 2004). If you don't know the exact location, it's pretty easy to find a way around it while still being truthful (e.g. I met my husband when we were both in university, I met my husband through friends traveling, etc).

As explained above, the objective of the application is to convince a complete stranger that your relationship is without a doubt genuine. This by default means you have to share details. Everyone wants fast processing times - putting together a strong application helps to achieve this.

As for the FBI certs - yes, they take several months. You can submit your application without the cert and include a letter saying you've applied and will forward this info later. Many have done this without issue.

M

mikeymyke

Your husband's American, already the hard part has passed without even sending in the application

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should seriously consider submitting an Outland application (which is possible even if he is IN Canada). Most Americans complete the entire process in ~ 8-10 months. The caveat is that the Open Work Permit is not available, but being stuck in Canada for 2 years +, while an Inland application is processed is crazy.

To answer your question...Just include a note with the application that the FBI IHSR has been ordered and that you will provide it once you receive it. CIC is well aware of the FBI delays.

Good luck!

Jun 10, 2015
Posted by: Ponga
You should seriously consider submitting an Outland application

Ponga, I don't know how to tell if what I'm doing is inland or outland? I'm just filling out whatever's on this site:
www dot cic.gc.ca /english/information/applications/fc dot asp

Is that outland?

Guys.. all this info they're asking for is 10X more than what I was asked for to get my green card. Why is Canada so damn difficult? I have a toddler, I don't have time to fill out these forms and I'm sleep deprived ;) Excuses excuses I know..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The right forms for applying outland are here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

If you don't have the time to complete the application well on your own, hire a lawyer or consultant to assist you. This is not the time to take short cuts or do half a job of something.

The reason why so much information is asked is because there has unfortunately been too much immigration fraud in the past. So relationships are now much more closely scrutinized. Green cards are also much more easily revoked than Canadian PR status.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
scylla said:
If you don't have the time to complete the application well on your own, hire a lawyer or consultant to assist you. This is not the time to take short cuts or do half a job of something.
Agreed.

Also to the OP - don't make up information if you don't know. Better to say you don't know. CIC will hammer you if they ever find out you made up information.