+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Father's name

donjos65

Apr 15, 2018
I am just about to submit my e-APR and have a query regarding the names of my Parents.

My Full name as per my passport and all other documents is Don Jos,
Name of my father as per my Passport is Jose.
Name of my mother as per my Passport is Mary.

First of all, I have a discrepancy in my father's name (Jose) and my surname (Jos). Would this be an issue in front of the Visa officer while they evaluate? If yes, how do we mitigate this before we submit the application?

Secondly. while we fill in the e-APR, the system would ask for the Given name and surname of my parents. Since they only have a given name in my passport, I couldn't update the Surname portion which keeps my application as Incomplete. However, in their own respective passports, they have a given name (Joese) and surname (Thomas). In this case, If I go forward to provide their given name and surname as per their passport details, it would mismatch with the details of father and mother in my own passport. It would be difficult and not possible to amend my passport details neither of my parents given that I only have 7 more days to submit the application. How would you advise me to proceed in this situation?

Your help would be highly appreciated. I have tried my best to see if a similar situation is discussed in this forum before, however, I couldn't able to find one.

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
I am just about to submit my e-APR and have a query regarding the names of my Parents.

My Full name as per my passport and all other documents is Don Jos,
Name of my father as per my Passport is Jose.
Name of my mother as per my Passport is Mary.

First of all, I have a discrepancy in my father's name (Jose) and my surname (Jos). Would this be an issue in front of the Visa officer while they evaluate? If yes, how do we mitigate this before we submit the application?

Secondly. while we fill in the e-APR, the system would ask for the Given name and surname of my parents. Since they only have a given name in my passport, I couldn't update the Surname portion which keeps my application as Incomplete. However, in their own respective passports, they have a given name (Joese) and surname (Thomas). In this case, If I go forward to provide their given name and surname as per their passport details, it would mismatch with the details of father and mother in my own passport. It would be difficult and not possible to amend my passport details neither of my parents given that I only have 7 more days to submit the application. How would you advise me to proceed in this situation?

Your help would be highly appreciated. I have tried my best to see if a similar situation is discussed in this forum before, however, I couldn't able to find one.
Hi Don,

I was also in a similar position and submitted with my Dad's given name in both given name /surname field and included an LOE. I'm still waiting for my approval. Can you please let me know what you did and if it was accepted by IRCC? Thank you!

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
Hello @alexross, considering the name discrepancy did your PR get approved?
Yes, I am happy to say my PR got approved, I live in Ontario now :) No questions raised about my father's name during the process. If you have the same problem just enter the firstname in both fields and explain in a letter.

Manmohan77

Mar 21, 2019
Thank you for the response @alexross :)

I don't have exact same issue but a similar one.

My passport doesn’t include my parents middle name (just first and last names) in “Name of Father/Mother” section, but on my parents passport they have their middle name along with first name included in the given name section.

So I am confused whether I should include my parents name as per mentioned in my passport (without their middle names) or should I include my parents name in the application as per what is mentioned in their passports (with middle names).

alexross

Jan 11, 2018
Thank you for the response @alexross :)

I don't have exact same issue but a similar one.

My passport doesn’t include my parents middle name (just first and last names) in “Name of Father/Mother” section, but on my parents passport they have their middle name along with first name included in the given name section.

So I am confused whether I should include my parents name as per mentioned in my passport (without their middle names) or should I include my parents name in the application as per what is mentioned in their passports (with middle names).
I think either way is ok. From your PR point of view the best way with which you can avoid complications is to enter their name as mentioned in YOUR passport. right now it is only your documents they will verify against. For your parents names they will check only your passport, so if you give their name as per YOUR passport it will be the smoothest process. How it is entered in their passport does not matter for your PR approval.

But later, when you sponsor their visa's they will check if their name matches in their passport and your passport biographical page. So that is when you will have to explain the discrepancy in their names. But middle name missing is not a big deal here in Canada. They are aware of issues like this in other countries and they are flexible to a certain extent.

Reactions: Manmohan77

srirajesh01

Mar 3, 2021
Yes, I am happy to say my PR got approved, I live in Ontario now :) No questions raised about my father's name during the process. If you have the same problem just enter the firstname in both fields and explain in a letter.
@alexross do you have sample LOE? I have the same situation.... A sample LOE will be very helpful.... I have same issue with my wife's passport as well