+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fastest and hassel free way for spouse to go to Canada

ak172

Feb 15, 2013
I'm Indian girl and will be getting married to an Indian guy working in Canada in November. He is currently on work permit. He has a PNP nomination which will expire in May, so he will be applying for PR before that and get his work permit extended. Now we have two options :

1st. He applies for his PR now, and after our marriage in Nov, applies for my PR. How much time will the complete process take? When can i expect to get my PR and be able to move to Canada with work permit? Will applying for my PR just after he getting his PR make my case weak?

2nd. We go for court marriage now and then he applies for a PR for both of us. How strong the case would be? Do we need to show marriage photographs, etc in this case? How long will this process take? Will i be able to move to Canada with work permit after marriage, even if my PR is not finalized as he will be on work permit?

Which out of the above option is faster and better?

Kindly help.

Thanks

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
1) Chances are he will need to include you on his PR application. If you get married before he lands and he doesn't include you, he can never sponsor you. On the documents for PR he will sign, he promises to inform CIC if he gets married.

2) New Delhi was 9 months last time I checked. That means 80% of applications were done by 9 months, based on a complete package.

3) To make your case strong, its best to have a tradition Indian wedding. Pictures are good. You don't need tons, just ones that show both of you with a variety of guests and family, plus the person who does the wedding. The traditional wedding isn't required, but be prepared to explain why you decided on a court wedding instead.

4) It depends as far as the work permit. If his job is NOC code A, B, or 0, then you can apply for a spousal open work permit once you have your marriage certificate (with a copy of his work permit and information on his NOC code). If you're on his PR application, you will get PR at the same time. If he lands before the wedding, then sponsors you, it will depend. You can try to ask your employer for a LMO to continue working, look for a new employer to give you a LMO, or try to get a visitor visa. There's no guarantee, however, you will get a new visa. (Him getting his PR will cancel your open work permit.)

ak172

Feb 15, 2013
@amikety Thanks for this..much appreciated!

I have few more questions but before that, here is some more information for you to help me better:

1. I am currently in India and not Canada (and so I think that an LMO does not come into picture unless I get a job in Canada prior to arriving there)
2. He is working in a mid-management position with Royal Bank of Canada and comes under skill level A and so I guess that I will be able to apply for an open work permit.
3. His current work permit will expire on Aug 09 2013. He has spoken to PNP office in Toronto and they have confirmed that they will issue a support letter for him to get his work permit extended by 18 months.

My questions are:

1. Assume that we go for a court marriage, and he applies for PR for both of us in Canada before the expiry of his PNP certificate (expiry date for PNP nomination is May 27, 2013). After that, he gets an extension on his work permit by 18 months (this extension would be an open work permit for him). Will I be able to apply for an open work permit on the basis of this extended work permit?

2. This extension in work permit would be granted to him only because he would have already filed for a PR. Will adding my name to it complicate the process of getting extension on his work permit?

Thanks a ton!!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
You won't complicate his OWP. No worries there.

I'm not 100% sure on the other question, sorry. :(

ak172

Feb 15, 2013
So we are thinking of going with getting married in temple in India first in April, and then he will apply for PR for both of us. We will have the complete wedding ceremony and functions later in Nov. Assuming the PR process will be done by then, i'll be able to go to Canada just after marriage.
My question is :
1) In this case do we need to show photographs of wedding and honeymoon as proof for applying for PR? Or will the marriage certificate suffice?
2) Since i'll be in India and he in Canada, and he'll be applying for PR for both of us together, will this not make the case weak?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
ak172 said:
So we are thinking of going with getting married in temple in India first in April, and then he will apply for PR for both of us. We will have the complete wedding ceremony and functions later in Nov. Assuming the PR process will be done by then, i'll be able to go to Canada just after marriage.
My question is :
1) In this case do we need to show photographs of wedding and honeymoon as proof for applying for PR? Or will the marriage certificate suffice?
2) Since i'll be in India and he in Canada, and he'll be applying for PR for both of us together, will this not make the case weak?
You should really be posting your questions to the PNP section of this forum. You will get more responses there from people who are in your situation.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/provincial-nomination-program-immigration-b6.0/

This section of the forum is for Canadians who are sponsoring their spouses.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
ak172 said:
My question is :
1) Yes, at least a few pictures from both would be good. I only included 1 honeymoon and a handful from the wedding (mainly us with friends and signing our marriage license.)

2) It's actually quite normal, because spouses can't get a visitor visa into Canada. It's very normal among students and foreign workers to marry someone from their home country and bring them to Canada versus finding a wife here.