+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FAQ: All you need to know about applying for PR with NOC 4012 (RA/TA) work experience.

AshT

Sep 20, 2020
So glad I found this page.. at least related to my issue...
I'm a doctor by profession. I completed med school earlier and then worked for a year before doing a three years Masters program during which I was paid and did the same work as my NOC...Does this qualify under foreign work experience in FSW?
This did give me an additional licences but I was already qualified to do the work I did.
would be great if someone could post a logical answer... Been through a hell of a time

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
Hello everyone! I need another piece of advice from you all on NOC 4012 reference letter :) My department says they can provide me with letters in two ways:
1) My PhD advisor (and I TAd for him) could write me a letter stating my duties, and our department administrator would write the letter stating the hours/salaries/other info, or
2) Our department administrator can write one letter stating everything from duties to administrative information.
Which do you think is better? Thanks to you all again for advice!

willapp

Mar 20, 2020
Hello everyone! I need another piece of advice from you all on NOC 4012 reference letter :) My department says they can provide me with letters in two ways:
1) My PhD advisor (and I TAd for him) could write me a letter stating my duties, and our department administrator would write the letter stating the hours/salaries/other info, or
2) Our department administrator can write one letter stating everything from duties to administrative information.
Which do you think is better? Thanks to you all again for advice!
You need to follow the guide on IRCC website and try to provide all the information they ask.
(2) is not an option because without duties and responsibilities, IRCC cannot determine your NOC therefore cannot give you any points.

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
You need to follow the guide on IRCC website and try to provide all the information they ask.
(2) is not an option because without duties and responsibilities, IRCC cannot determine your NOC therefore cannot give you any points.
Oh I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant that option 2 will include everything in one letter but it won't be from my research advisor who directly supervises my work. But it would include the hours, duties and salary information, it would just come from the department administrator.
My research advisor cannot be writing about my salary and hours, because he isn't the one setting that for the whole department. Which is why option 1 is on the table - where there would be two letters - one showing my duties from my research advisor, and another from department administrator who can talk about my hours/salary

willapp

Mar 20, 2020
Oh I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant that option 2 will include everything in one letter but it won't be from my research advisor who directly supervises my work. But it would include the hours, duties and salary information, it would just come from the department administrator.
My research advisor cannot be writing about my salary and hours, because he isn't the one setting that for the whole department. Which is why option 1 is on the table - where there would be two letters - one showing my duties from my research advisor, and another from department administrator who can talk about my hours/salary
Okay. i read 2 wrong. Either is fine then. I chose the 2nd way myself.

Reactions: Linalin

Fluorescent98

Sep 28, 2020
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate some advice. I have recently graduated from University of Canada (have worked as a part-time RA for the last 8 months but as I understand from here it does not count towards EE application). I have applied for a Work Permit and got a contract for full time RA at a non-profit medical research institute. Is my understanding correct - that does not qualify me for EE through NOC 4012?

Reactions: eastgwzh

willapp

Mar 20, 2020
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate some advice. I have recently graduated from University of Canada (have worked as a part-time RA for the last 8 months but as I understand from here it does not count towards EE application). I have applied for a Work Permit and got a contract for full time RA at a non-profit medical research institute. Is my understanding correct - that does not qualify me for EE through NOC 4012?
You can use it for FSW or CEC if it's not on a study permit in Canada.

Sulail

Sep 21, 2019
Hi everyone,
I worked as TA during my PhD in Iran from 15st October 2013 to 10th February 2018. During this time, I worked for 75 hours/month and was paid 80,000 Iranian Rials/hour. I have a letter from my supervisor stating my duties too. Can I apply in express entry as FSW under NOC 4012?

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
Hi everyone,
I worked as TA during my PhD in Iran from 15st October 2013 to 10th February 2018. During this time, I worked for 75 hours/month and was paid 80,000 Iranian Rials/hour. I have a letter from my supervisor stating my duties too. Can I apply in express entry as FSW under NOC 4012?
Convert your hours/month to hours/week (this is what you need to enter in the application), and calculate your score. You need 67 for FSW. IELTS/ECA is needed too.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

Sulail

Sep 21, 2019
Convert your hours/month to hours/week (this is what you need to enter in the application), and calculate your score. You need 67 for FSW. IELTS/ECA is needed too.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html
Thank you so much. That would be 18h/wk. Making it part-time so it will be equivalent to 2.5 years I am guessing.
Do you have any idea if we can score for 2 NOC my 4012 has 2.5 year experience and NOC 4011 has 1 year experience. I am wondering if I can score for the later too? As my CRS is roughly 462 with just NOC 4011

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
Thank you so much. That would be 18h/wk. Making it part-time so it will be equivalent to 2.5 years I am guessing.
Do you have any idea if we can score for 2 NOC my 4012 has 2.5 year experience and NOC 4011 has 1 year experience. I am wondering if I can score for the later too? As my CRS is roughly 462 with just NOC 4011
I may be wrong, but I think as long as each of your NOCs has at least a year, both will count towards points