+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FAQ: All you need to know about applying for PR with NOC 4012 (RA/TA) work experience.

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
What I did is to put them together as I can claim 3 years however the hours are calculated.
I think either way it works so it's up to you. Check with your department and see what kind of letter they are willing to give you and you can fill out your application to match the letter. Even though you don't need the letter to enter the pool, it makes it much easier after you get the ITA.

No need to worry about different duties in different periods because the NOC 4012 is for both RA and TA, you can go check this out yourself on the website with the NOC descriptions.
Thanks so much! That's exactly what I'm trying to do while I'm waiting on my ECA and IELTS scores, to make sure everything is consistent with how the department is going to present it in the letter too. I really appreciate your advice!!!

DavehM

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
Thank you! Yes, I'm getting my PhD in the US, and all of my experience comes from the same university. I am kind of concerned about combining all of them in one entry as I have different hours/week for TA-ship and RA-ship, and I have these odd 9 months when I'm half-TA/half-RA. Should I be specifying for each period (however many my department puts in the letter) what this position is? As in - should I be putting what I have in brackets now for the time periods?
Since your hours vary, I wouldn't recommend combining them (unless you can find a way to clearly articulate your hours during each pay period). Regardless, your work experience is indeed continuous and counts!

Reactions: Linalin

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
Since your hours vary, I wouldn't recommend combining them (unless you can find a way to clearly articulate your hours during each pay period). Regardless, your work experience is indeed continuous and counts!
Thanks so much, I feel relieved that I can count those all in one long work experience! I appreciate your help!

faisal06

Sep 21, 2020
Hi guys, I worked 2 semesters as a RA (separated by summer break) and 1 semester as a TA while rest of my PhD studies were converted by my scholarship. The hours vary for each TA/RA position but my college gave me a letter stating that I was employed for 1.5 years.
So my question is that can I use the 1.5 years stated in the experience letter or do I have to calculate the total hours I worked for the 3 semesters? If so then how do I calculate the total hours?
I'd appreciate any help in this regard.

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
Hi guys, I worked 2 semesters as a RA (separated by summer break) and 1 semester as a TA while rest of my PhD studies were converted by my scholarship. The hours vary for each TA/RA position but my college gave me a letter stating that I was employed for 1.5 years.
So my question is that can I use the 1.5 years stated in the experience letter or do I have to calculate the total hours I worked for the 3 semesters? If so then how do I calculate the total hours?
I'd appreciate any help in this regard.
From what I understand, you should be using the hours that the letter is showing. The letter from your universityshould specify the hours, not how many years you've worked.

faisal06

Sep 21, 2020
From what I understand, you should be using the hours that the letter is showing. The letter from your universityshould specify the hours, not how many years you've worked.
So basically I should convert hrs/week into total months or years I've worked?

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
So basically I should convert hrs/week into total months or years I've worked?
You just provide dates with hours/week, you don't need to calculate total hours/weeks/months/years in the letter. If your number of hours/week changes during your tenure, you provide certain date range for X hours/week, and another date range for Y hours/week. Everything in your EE application should match the letter, so try to get the letter before you fill out the application.

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
Last edited:

faisal06

Sep 21, 2020
You just provide dates with hours/week, you don't need to calculate total hours/weeks/months/years in the letter. If your number of hours/week changes during your tenure, you provide certain date range for X hours/week, and another date range for Y hours/week. Everything in your EE application should match the letter, so try to get the letter before you fill out the application.
One more thing, I have less than 3 years of experience at the moment, my current job will eventually help me in getting the overall 3 years preferably required for EE
So just to be on the safe side how much (duration) should I consider my RA/TA experience?

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
One more thing, I have less than 3 years of experience at the moment, my current job will eventually help me in getting the overall 3 years preferably required for EE
So just to be on the safe side how much (duration) should I consider my RA/TA experience?
I have it this way in my letter:

September 15, 2014 – June 14, 2015: 17.5 hours/week (as a Teaching Assistant)
June 15, 2015 – January 3, 2016: 15 hours/week (as a Research Assistant)
January 4, 2016 – March 20, 2016: 17.5 hours/week (as a Teaching Assistant)
March 21, 2016 – September 25, 2016: 15 hours/week (as a Research Assistant)
September 26, 2016 – June 10, 2017: 16.25 hours/week (as half-TA/half-RA)
June 11, 2017 – Ongoing: 15 hours/week (as a Research Assistant)

I think you should put exactly how much you worked so that your RA/TA letter supports it. I think this would be the safest. Especially if you know your current job will get you to 3 years at some point within a year from when you apply. Basically, your hours will keep adding up throughout the waiting time until ITA, so at some point your CRS score will rise because you hit the 3 year milestone.
Did that answer your question? Cause I'm not sure if I understood it correctly.

faisal06

Sep 21, 2020
I have it this way in my letter:

September 15, 2014 – June 14, 2015: 17.5 hours/week (as a Teaching Assistant)
June 15, 2015 – January 3, 2016: 15 hours/week (as a Research Assistant)
January 4, 2016 – March 20, 2016: 17.5 hours/week (as a Teaching Assistant)
March 21, 2016 – September 25, 2016: 15 hours/week (as a Research Assistant)
September 26, 2016 – June 10, 2017: 16.25 hours/week (as half-TA/half-RA)
June 11, 2017 – Ongoing: 15 hours/week (as a Research Assistant)

I think you should put exactly how much you worked so that your RA/TA letter supports it. I think this would be the safest. Especially if you know your current job will get you to 3 years at some point within a year from when you apply. Basically, your hours will keep adding up throughout the waiting time until ITA, so at some point your CRS score will rise because you hit the 3 year milestone.
Did that answer your question? Cause I'm not sure if I understood it correctly.
Your response does help and I have a letter from my university stating the various dates of my RA/TA work, salary, and responsibilities. I plan to create my EE profile by the start of Janurary so my current job will have more than a year and the rest will be from RA/TA so I'm confused about the total duration of work it will be considered as and I'm aware that while I wait for the ITA my work experience will increase.
So for the EE profile will I just enter the various dates of RA/TA and current job timeline or will I mention that I work experience of 2 years?
Sorry for the trouble.

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
Your response does help and I have a letter from my university stating the various dates of my RA/TA work, salary, and responsibilities. I plan to create my EE profile by the start of Janurary so my current job will have more than a year and the rest will be from RA/TA so I'm confused about the total duration of work it will be considered as and I'm aware that while I wait for the ITA my work experience will increase.
So for the EE profile will I just enter the various dates of RA/TA and current job timeline or will I mention that I work experience of 2 years?
Sorry for the trouble.
Oh I see, I'm sorry I misunderstood. You just mention the dates, they calculate your experience internally.
Let's see what other people say, but this is how I understand it.