+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FAQ: All you need to know about applying for PR with NOC 4012 (RA/TA) work experience.

mandy15leo

Mar 11, 2019
Hi everyone I need help. I am About to finish my Masters in US. I have been TA/RA for 4.5 years which makes up to 4680 work hours. It's equivalent to 4680/1560 = 3 years. Can I select foreign work experience of 3 years or more to calculate my CRS score?
was it a full time or part time? i can send you IRCC link. there is a minimum hours requirement and as far as i know , in US it's part time and 20hrs/week. so 6 years needed to claim 3 years work experience.
you can email me
mandakini15leo@gmail.com

Freda B

Jul 1, 2020
Hi,

I've been doing my PhD in Canada since 2016 (on study permit) and have TA'd and been assigned as instructor for several courses in lieu of my TA. I was just wondering if I could include those in my work history for my EE profile and HOW.

Do I include my TA in the Work History section of the application (+ answer YES to legally working in Canada + indicate that my work doesn't require a work permit)? If I do so, will the system just choose to not include points like it was stated or is there another step? Just wanted to make sure so as to not have any confusion with VO and risk getting declined an invitation.

Thank you so much!
Hi Mmda,

Have you been able to figure this out? I am currently stuck here. I am trying to use my RA experience to apply for PR under the FSW package, however, I am unsure of how to proceed with the part where it asks to indicate if the work was done under a work permit with Lmia, without one or work permit exempt. How did you proceed with this part, assuming you have. Thank you

DavehM

Star Member
Dec 24, 2019
Hi Mmda,

Have you been able to figure this out? I am currently stuck here. I am trying to use my RA experience to apply for PR under the FSW package, however, I am unsure of how to proceed with the part where it asks to indicate if the work was done under a work permit with Lmia, without one or work permit exempt. How did you proceed with this part, assuming you have. Thank you
RA/TA in Canada while you are on a student visa does not count

frz077

May 23, 2020
Hi All,

I've completed my masters (thesis based) from a Canadian University. The program length was two years. I also worked as a TA (part time) for the entire duration of my study (1427 hours in total).

My thesis was my only research. Does it count as RA experience? I have T4As as I was getting stipend as a MS student and T4 as I worked as TA. I did not do RA separately. Please answer; it's urgent.

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
Hello all,
Thank you for a helpful discussion on this matter! I am completing my PhD in the US, and I was wondering if anyone had an example of job reference letter? From what I understand it should be a letter from an advisor, but I read in some threads that it would be helpful to add a letter from HR at the University. Does anyone have successful experience with either letter?
Also, if, for instance, my EE ends up in the pool, and doesn't get selected in the first drawing, would it stay in the pool for next drawings?
Thanks to you all!

MARYKE4NNY

Nov 1, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-08-2019
AOR Received.
16-08-2019
Passport Req..
12-05-2021
Hello all,
Thank you for a helpful discussion on this matter! I am completing my PhD in the US, and I was wondering if anyone had an example of job reference letter? From what I understand it should be a letter from an advisor, but I read in some threads that it would be helpful to add a letter from HR at the University. Does anyone have successful experience with either letter?
Also, if, for instance, my EE ends up in the pool, and doesn't get selected in the first drawing, would it stay in the pool for next drawings?
Thanks to you all!
You can get a letter from your supervisor (lecturer you worked for) or your research advisor whichever is the case stating your entire duties which should tally with the job description for NOC 4012 (avoid using the exact sentences used by IRCC when describing your duties. You should also collect a letter from HR stating your job title, annual salary, hours worked per week and duration of employment (date started to ended).

Your EE profile will remain in the pool until you are selected or until your profile expires which is usually 1 year from the day it was created. All the best.

Last edited:

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
You can get a letter from your supervisor (lecturer you worked for) or your research advisor whichever is the case stating your entire duties Which should tally with the job description for NOC 4012 (avoid using the exact sentences used by IRCC when descr. You should also collect a letter from HR stating your job title, annual salary, hours worked per week and duration of employment (date started to ended).

Your EE profile will remain in the pool until you are selected or until your profile expires which is usually 1 year from the day it was created. All the best.
Thank you! This is very helpful!
If I haven't finished working yet and applying while I'm working as an RA, what would go for "date ended" in the HR letter?
Also, I saw mixed things in different threads - so just to be sure - since TA and RA experiences fall under the same NOC, I can just combine the hours in the letters from advisor and HR?

Thanks again, I appreciate the advice and support!

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
It does. I put it under my work history and while it gave me no points for work experience, I was considered for the foreign work experience stream. Now I am in the pool.
Can you elaborate as to how does it count if it doesn't give you any points?

MARYKE4NNY

Nov 1, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-08-2019
AOR Received.
16-08-2019
Passport Req..
12-05-2021
Thank you! This is very helpful!
If I haven't finished working yet and applying while I'm working as an RA, what would go for "date ended" in the HR letter?
Also, I saw mixed things in different threads - so just to be sure - since TA and RA experiences fall under the same NOC, I can just combine the hours in the letters from advisor and HR?

Thanks again, I appreciate the advice and support!
The date ended would be: Ongoing. Your total number of years for work experience would be calculated the day you received your ITA and the day you officially submit your application.
Yes you can combine the hours as long as you have a letter stating your duties and total hours per week, you should be fine. Sorry for the late reply.

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
The date ended would be: Ongoing. Your total number of years for work experience would be calculated the day you received your ITA and the day you officially submit your application.
Yes you can combine the hours as long as you have a letter stating your duties and total hours per week, you should be fine. Sorry for the late reply.
Thanks so much!
If you successfully applied for EE, would you be comfortable sharing the reference letter with me? I am trying to explain to HR at my university on how to structure it, and I am having hard time myself with how it is supposed to look like.

MARYKE4NNY

Nov 1, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-08-2019
AOR Received.
16-08-2019
Passport Req..
12-05-2021
Thanks so much!
If you successfully applied for EE, would you be comfortable sharing the reference letter with me? I am trying to explain to HR at my university on how to structure it, and I am having hard time myself with how it is supposed to look like.
I sent you a message.