+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Visitor visa rejected - online application. Please guide me

the_batman

Oct 7, 2013
I had applied for my family visitor visa via online application for 6 weeks. The visa application was rejected for 3 reasons.
1. Travel History
2. Current Employment situation
3. Personal assets and finances

Visa Application was applied for Mom and 2 sisters and the application details are follows
I had shown finances of 18,000 CAD in my account.
a. Elder Sister – Primary applicant

1. Job – IT Associate Consultant (4 months exp)
2. Single status
3. Docs
i. Job offer letter
ii. Salary letter
iii. Bank Account balance of 35,000 INR
iv. Letter of explanation for Surname have one different character. i.e. our surname is spelled as “GERI” in my elder sister passport and “GIRI” in my mothers and younger sister’s passport

b. Mom –
1. Job - Govt Employee
2. Widow status
3. Docs – Submitted Letter of explanation for her Parents approximate Date of Birth

c. Younger Sister
1. Job- Health Administrative employee
2. Single Status
3. Docs – Nothing

After reading the refusal reason I understood the balance is low and not strong ties to go back to India.
I have many questions to ask as I am thinking of reapplying and after following the other post I have understood few things but still lot to understand before re-applying
Learning:
1. I think I should re-apply after 3 months.
2. Should reduce the visiting duration to 3 weeks
3. I should show finances in my family members account
a. Elder Sister
i. show balance upto 3 lakh INR
ii. show gold as investment’s
b. Mom
i. Show salary statements
ii. Show bank statements (4 months)
iii. Show approved leave letter
iv. Show Proof of ownership of her own house
v. Show house rent amount
vi. Show pension amount

c. Younger Sister
i. Show balance upto 3 lakh INR
ii. Show fixed deposit.

Questions
4. Should I apply for all 3 members again or is it better I apply individually

5. How much finances I should show in my each members account

6. What documents are acceptable for Proof of Ownership

7. What documents are acceptable for showing the House is rented

8. What documents are acceptable for showing rent amount as income

9. Can the rent be deposited as cash

10. What docs to show that mother receives pension

Also Please let me know more documents to make my application stronger next time. Thank you.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Elder Sister – Primary applicant
1. Her employment of just 4 months is very recent.... and shows weak employment ties

2. Her bank balance of INR 35,000 is inadequate to pay for airfare + the trip

Is this her first job?
Does she have ITRs for 1-2 years?
Does she have professional commitments to return to?
Does she have credit cards? Not as secondary/add-on cards.

Mom - Govt Employee
The letter explaining her approx. date of birth is unnecessary.... her passport will suffice.

You have not submitted any documents for your mom.

Evidence for:
Her employment (employment letter + NOC from the employer stating she will have her job when she returns + 6 months' salary slips + 2 years ITRs + 6 months bank statements (not 4 months) + any benefits that she will lose if she does not return, etc)

Younger Sister - Health Administrative employee
It's a cardinal sin to not submit any documents.... Can your sister provide employment proofs similar to those I have suggested for your mom? How long has she been employed?

To answer your questions:
I think I should re-apply after 3 months.
You can reapply anytime.... even tomorrow, if their individual situations have changed significantly + if they have addressed the reasons for refusal.

Having stated this, I think only your mom has chances of getting a TRV by showing her employment + your two sisters are family ties to return to. Your sisters - and I'm assuming your younger sister has recently started working - have low chances presently/after 3 months.

Should reduce the visiting duration to 3 weeks
Yes, Good idea to reduce it to 3-4 weeks max. otherwise it shows weak employment ties = someone else can do their work in their offices

I should show finances in my family members account
Only if none of these finances were transferred by you or borrowed from someone else for the visa applications

Elder Sister
Is the INR 300,000 from her own savings/earnings.... or deposited just for the visa?
Does she have any FDs, RDs, mutual funds, PPF, etc? Same for your mom and younger sister

For gold, do get it valued by a certified jeweler. However, gold cannot be shown as funds available for her visit.

c. Younger Sister
Same suggestions which I have mentioned for your elder sister

Should I apply for all 3 members again or is it better I apply individually
IMO, only reapply for your mom

How much finances I should show in my each members account
Whatever is their actual earnings and savings.... nothing borrowed or transferred for the visas

What documents are acceptable for Proof of Ownership
Sale Agreement (translated into English by a certified translator, if required) + latest Property Tax receipts + maintenance bills to the housing society + latest utility bills (if it is on your mom/sisters' names)

Also, do a self-assessment for a current indicative market value of the property instead of stating the sale agreement value. Do include any evidence to show the market rates.

What documents are acceptable for showing the House is rented
Rent agreement + 2-3 months rent receipts

Can the rent be deposited as cash
Yes, if it matches the rent agreement amount + rent receipts

What docs to show that mother receives pension
You'll know this better than any of us

You must also draw up a day-by-day itinerary of places your mom will visit like a tourist/spend time with you.... with expense estimates and prove that she has the finances for this itinerary

Cheers

the_batman

Oct 7, 2013
a big Thank you Bryanna :) for reply in detail, and we really appreciate you taking time and consulting me.. Thank you once again

1. Her employment of just 4 months is very recent.... and shows weak employment ties

2. Her bank balance of INR 35,000 is inadequate to pay for airfare + the trip

Is this her first job? - Response: No, She has intotal 7 years of experience and I had attached previous 7 years of work experience.
Does she have ITRs for 1-2 years? Response: No, as her salary was lower she was tax exempted.
Does she have professional commitments to return to? Response: She has professional commitment to go back but what document is required to prove this?
Does she have credit cards? Not as secondary/add-on cards. Response: No she doesn't have a credit card.
Mom - Govt Employee
The letter explaining her approx. date of birth is unnecessary.... her passport will suffice.
Response: This letter of explanation was for her parents Date of Birth. As my grandparent were born in rural part of India their Date of Birth was not captured accurately so we had mentioned approximate DoB and wrote a Letter of Explanation for same.
You have not submitted any documents for your mom. Response: Yes. I will collect all the documents you mentioned below and along with it I will attach he House ownership doc and rent receipts and and rental agreement.

Evidence for:
Her employment (employment letter + NOC from the employer stating she will have her job when she returns + 6 months' salary slips + 2 years ITRs + 6 months bank statements (not 4 months) + any benefits that she will lose if she does not return, etc)
Response: What can be show for any benefits that she will lose if she does not return?
It's a cardinal sin to not submit any documents.... Can your sister provide employment proofs similar to those I have suggested for your mom? How long has she been employed?
Response: Yes she can provide all the documents.

I think I should re-apply after 3 months.
You can reapply anytime.... even tomorrow, if their individual situations have changed significantly + if they have addressed the reasons for refusal.

Having stated this, I think only your mom has chances of getting a TRV by showing her employment + your two sisters are family ties to return to. Your sisters - and I'm assuming your younger sister has recently started working - have low chances presently/after 3 months.

Response: My sister has 4 years of work experience.
If i apply for my mom now and get the visa. In future if my sisters provide all docs, will they get the visa because not sure what can be shown as ties for my sisters.
I should show finances in my family members account
Only if none of these finances were transferred by you or borrowed from someone else for the visa applications

Response: How about if there are cash deposit other than her salary and received rent payment. Will this cause any issue or questions raised?
Elder Sister
Is the INR 300,000 from her own savings/earnings.... or deposited just for the visa? Response: in another 3 months she will have around 1.5 lakh INR. How abt if i deposit 2 lakh cash INR now in her account and after 3-4 months when we apply her visa it will be perceived like as her own amount
Does she have any FDs, RDs, mutual funds, PPF, etc? Same for your mom and younger sister
Response: I think PPF yes

For gold, do get it valued by a certified jeweler. However, gold cannot be shown as funds available for her visit.
c. Younger Sister
Same suggestions which I have mentioned for your elder sister
Response: in another 3 months she will have around 1 lakh INR. How abt if i deposit 2 lakh cash INR now in her account and after 3-4 months when we apply her visa it will be perceived like as her own amount
She has RD's worth 80,000 INR and 30,000 INR mutual funds and PPF
What documents are acceptable for Proof of Ownership
Sale Agreement (translated into English by a certified translator, if required) + latest Property Tax receipts + maintenance bills to the housing society + latest utility bills (if it is on your mom/sisters' names)
Response: I got the sale agreement part.
Also, do a self-assessment for a current indicative market value of the property instead of stating the sale agreement value. Do include any evidence to show the market rates.
Response: Do you mean to say to find out the current market value of the property. If so what evidence to show for the market value.
You must also draw up a day-by-day itinerary of places your mom will visit like a tourist/spend time with you.... with expense estimates and prove that she has the finances for this itinerary
Response: If I am sending invitation letter stating I will bear all her visiting expenses in Canada.
Q: Do I need to give her daily expense estimates?
Q: If mom only shows the flight expenses and insurance expenses and her Property, will it suffice?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

You're most welcome :)

Employment: Employment letters from the current employer and the one before this + 4 months salary slips of current employer + 2-3 months salary slips of the previous employer + leave approval letter stating she will have her job when she returns + ITRs (even if it is a 'Nil Returns')

Professional commitments: For example, project completion/ appraisals/ training, etc that will commence from XX date ie after her visit + evidence like emails/letter issued by her immediate manager or HR

1. What is the source of the INR 150,000 which she will get in 3 months? Will it be a cheque deposit/ bank transfer?

2. Any cash that you deposit or transfer funds to her account will clearly appear as borrowed for the TRV application.... because these additional funds will NOT match her income/earnings. So do not do this.

3. PPF: Has her PPF funds crossed the lock-in period? If yes, then she must submit a PPF statement issued by the bank/post office on official stationery + include an explanation that she is eligible to withdraw XXXX amount as it has crossed the lock-in period

Mom - Govt Employee
As a government employee/ defense services, etc employee, your mom must be eligible for some employment benefits.... subsidized/free housing, medical treatments, etc.... you'll have to tell us what benefits she gets on a monthly basis or otherwise.... or maybe she is eligible for a promotion shortly.

Any deposits in your mom's bank account should match her salary + rental income

Do submit similar employment proofs which I have suggested for your mom and elder sister.

Again, do NOT deposit cash in her bank account.... the visa officer is intelligent to do a simple 2+2 type of math.... and see if it adds up to her bank balance.

So even if you deposit cash in her account now.... it will not match her salary nor her ITRs.... and you will be risking both a 'Personal assets and finances' refusal + another one that she has not been truthful.

She can include her RDs + mutual funds + PPF.... as overall financial situation + whatever amount is available/not locked-in as available finances for her visit

For your mom's property:
You can include indicative market rates for the area where the property is located to do the self-assessment.... you'll have to check MagicBricks/ Times Property supplement papers, etc for this

For the itinerary:
Prepare a day-by-day itinerary showing sightseeing/stay at home on some days/meet relatives and friends.... with expense estimates for entry fees, travel, shopping, incidentals, etc + airfare.... accommodation and living expenses will be taken care by you.... and they must prove they have the finances for the itinerary.

If you plan to reapply for your sisters and mom together.... then you can mention that some expenses will be common to all of them.... nonetheless they individually have the finances for the itinerary.

Your sisters and your mom must prove that they have individual strong ties + individual strong reasons to return to India.... with evidence.

Do you have any siblings/immediate family who live with your mom and your sisters?
Have your sisters and mom traveled abroad earlier?
As for reasons to return: If for example, your sister is getting married then this can be a reason to return.... you'll have to think this one through

Cheers

the_batman

Oct 7, 2013
Thanks Bryanna again for the guidance. I will be working on the docs preparation and re apply shortly in 2-3 months time. Your help is highly appreciated. :)

Elder Sister
Employment: Employment letters from the current employer and the one before this + 4 months salary slips of current employer + 2-3 months salary slips of the previous employer + leave approval letter stating she will have her job when she returns + ITRs (even if it is a 'Nil Returns')

Professional commitments: For example, project completion/ appraisals/ training, etc that will commence from XX date ie after her visit + evidence like emails/letter issued by her immediate manager or HR

1. What is the source of the INR 150,000 which she will get in 3 months? Will it be a cheque deposit/ bank transfer?
Response This will be her salary and her employer will do direct deposit into her bank account
Just confirming that I cannot even transfer the amount in cheque/online bank transfer. Please confirm.

2. Any cash that you deposit or transfer funds to her account will clearly appear as borrowed for the TRV application.... because these additional funds will NOT match her income/earnings. So do not do this.

3. PPF: Has her PPF funds crossed the lock-in period? If yes, then she must submit a PPF statement issued by the bank/post office on official stationery + include an explanation that she is eligible to withdraw XXXX amount as it has crossed the lock-in period
As a government employee/ defense services, etc employee, your mom must be eligible for some employment benefits.... subsidized/free housing, medical treatments, etc.... you'll have to tell us what benefits she gets on a monthly basis or otherwise.... or maybe she is eligible for a promotion shortly.

Any deposits in your mom's bank account should match her salary + rental income
Response Yes, I got both the point.
Younger Sister
Do submit similar employment proofs which I have suggested for your mom and elder sister.

Again, do NOT deposit cash in her bank account.... the visa officer is intelligent to do a simple 2+2 type of math.... and see if it adds up to her bank balance.

So even if you deposit cash in her account now.... it will not match her salary nor her ITRs.... and you will be risking both a 'Personal assets and finances' refusal + another one that she has not been truthful.

She can include her RDs + mutual funds + PPF.... as overall financial situation + whatever amount is available/not locked-in as available finances for her visit

Response I will collect all the docs mentioned.
For your mom's property:
You can include indicative market rates for the area where the property is located to do the self-assessment.... you'll have to check MagicBricks/ Times Property supplement papers, etc for this

Response I undestood

Do you have any siblings/immediate family who live with your mom and your sisters? Response No
Have your sisters and mom traveled abroad earlier? Response No
As for reasons to return: If for example, your sister is getting married then this can be a reason to return.... you'll have to think this one through

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Response This will be her salary and her employer will do direct deposit into her bank account
She must include a letter from the employer stating that the INR 150,000 is her salary for XX period.... do not submit only the bank statement.

Just confirming that I cannot even transfer the amount in cheque/online bank transfer. Please confirm.
No, do not transfer any funds into your sister's bank account.... it will not match her employment letter/ her salary slips/ her ITRs..... and it will appear as borrowed for the TRV.

When you're ready to apply then do post the list of documents for each applicant + if there's any change in their individual situations then.... I will surely advise

Cheers

the_batman

Oct 7, 2013
Hi Bryanna,

Hope you are doing good!.

I will be applying for Mothers visa in a mid of August. At present my mother has 50 thousand INR in her account. To show the balances for visa she is planning to put the house on rent starting this month. She will get 2 lakhs INR has deposit and 30 thousand rent per month. All of these transaction will be in cheque. This way she will have around 3 lakhs INR by mid of August.

My question is will this transaction be questioned by the CIC officer? because we did not show the house for first time application and after rejection we have shown the house and rent agreement and rent receipt.

Thank You! and have a good day!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Good. Thanks. How are you?

My question is will this transaction be questioned by the CIC officer?
Situations change..... and people do look for ways to increase their income.

An aside:
Hope your mom will sign a 11 months' leave-and-license agreement.... registered and stamp duty paid for.... and NOT a rent agreement/lease agreement. A 11 months' Leave-and-License agreement will safeguard your property if a tenant tries to claim possession rights later.

She will get 2 lakhs INR has deposit and 30 thousand rent per month. All of these transaction will be in cheque.
Do remember that the deposit is refundable after the agreement period is over.

You must include a copy of the Leave-and-License agreement + bank statement highlighting the cheque deposits + maybe photocopies of the PDC (Post Dated Cheques) for the balance months + any receipts issued by your mom

Cheers

the_batman

Oct 7, 2013
Hi Bryanna,

I am good too. Thanks for the response!

An aside:
Hope your mom will sign a 11 months' leave-and-license agreement.... registered and stamp duty paid for.... and NOT a rent agreement/lease agreement. A 11 months' Leave-and-License agreement will safeguard your property if a tenant tries to claim possession rights later.
Yes, we will do the legal paperwork formalities.

Do remember that the deposit is refundable after the agreement period is over.
You must include a copy of the Leave-and-License agreement + bank statement highlighting the cheque deposits + maybe photocopies of the PDC (Post Dated Cheques) for the balance months + any receipts issued by your mom
Yes we will collect the Post dated cheques and receipts.

I know I am reiterating it but will the balance of 3 lakh INR be sufficient along with the House evaluation, govt job documents and salary slips?
Good Day!

the_batman

Oct 7, 2013
Apart from the salary + rental income..... does your mom have any FDs, RDs, shares, EPF, PPF, LIC,?
Only LIC.

She has some gold. In one of the previous conversatoin, you had said the following

I guess this will qualify as tie to come back to India but not as available funds.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Perhaps, you should wait until September-October before your mom applies.

Her financial situation will include her salary + pension + rental income + rent deposit + any government benefits

I guess this will qualify as tie to come back to India but not as available funds.
No, this is not a tie to return to.... gold is only a financial investment