+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Sponsorship

canxyz

Star Member
Jun 7, 2010
Hello,
I have a cousin sister in Canada who is a Canadian citizen.Can she sponsor me in order to become a permanent resident?

She is married and lives with her husband.They also have a child who lives with them.She has two brothers who live in India along with their parents.Her dad is suffering from a neurological disease.

Kindly let me know,if she can sponsor me or not for getting permanent residency.

Regards
Canxyz

M

mikeymyke

If you are over 18, then no.

Hang on a second, you were not successful applying as skilled worker?

Wyz

Star Member
Mar 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
Nov 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 2012, tfr to ISL May 2013
Med's Request
July 2014
Med's Done....
July 2014
canxyz said:
Hello,
I have a cousin sister in Canada who is a Canadian citizen.Can she sponsor me in order to become a permanent resident?

She is married and lives with her husband.They also have a child who lives with them.She has two brothers who live in India along with their parents.Her dad is suffering from a neurological disease.

Kindly let me know,if she can sponsor me or not for getting permanent residency.

Regards
Canxyz
No she cannot sponsor you. Sibling sponsorship does not happen, and even at that being cousins. There is no category for that. She can however send you a letter to invite you Canada for a temporary visit visa. That is for 6 months and you can extend this visa once you are in Canada to however much CIC allows you to. Hope this helps

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
What exactly is a "cousin sister"?
To me, they are completely different relationships but I see similar references elsewhere on here. It is not a standard legal definition, so I am curious.

Wyz

Star Member
Mar 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
Nov 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 2012, tfr to ISL May 2013
Med's Request
July 2014
Med's Done....
July 2014
zardoz said:
What exactly is a "cousin sister"?
To me, they are completely different relationships but I see similar references elsewhere on here. It is not a standard legal definition, so I am curious.
Basically, where I come from, sometimes a first cousin is refered to as a cousin sister or a cousin brother.

canxyz

Star Member
Jun 7, 2010
Let me clear the confusion

Her grandfather and my grandfather are real brothers.

Regards
Canxyz

canxyz

Star Member
Jun 7, 2010
Kindly have a look at the following statement and let me know if I qualify for sponsorship or not?

Who can be sponsored

Note: As of November 5, 2011, no new applications to sponsor parents or grandparents will be accepted for processing for up to 24 months. This temporary pause will allow us to focus on those applicants already awaiting a decision and reduce the backlog in the parents and grandparents category. This does not affect sponsorship applications for spouses, partners, dependent or adopted children and other eligible relatives. New applications received on or after November 5, 2011, will be returned to the applicant, including fees.
You can sponsor:

brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below)
accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

Note: You can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
canxyz said:
Kindly have a look at the following statement and let me know if I qualify for sponsorship or not?

Who can be sponsored

Note: As of November 5, 2011, no new applications to sponsor parents or grandparents will be accepted for processing for up to 24 months. This temporary pause will allow us to focus on those applicants already awaiting a decision and reduce the backlog in the parents and grandparents category. This does not affect sponsorship applications for spouses, partners, dependent or adopted children and other eligible relatives. New applications received on or after November 5, 2011, will be returned to the applicant, including fees.
You can sponsor:

brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below)
accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

Note: You can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.
Your cousin is married isn't she

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
canxyz said:
Yes, she is married.
So as the rule says Note: You can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse

You can stop reading after that anyways, this category is only meant if no other relative is present ONLY then you can pick some other relative

Sorry, but you can't be sponsored like that, you can try skilled visa or come here as a student, get a job and then try PR

canxyz

Star Member
Jun 7, 2010
user828 said:
So as the rule says Note: You can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse

You can stop reading after that anyways, this category is only meant if no other relative is present ONLY then you can pick some other relative

Sorry, but you can't be sponsored like that, you can try skilled visa or come here as a student, get a job and then try PR
Can I get 5 points for adaptability if I show her as my relative in FSW application?Kindly let me know.

Regards
Canxyz