+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family sponsorship vs Supervisa confusion

alexb

Nov 17, 2012
Hello all,

I am a recent permanent resident that would like to bring his family over, but I am a bit confused with the sponsorship vs supervisa. As I understand it:

* The family sponsorship class has very limited size and is filled up quickly at the beginning of the year, supervisa doesn't have this.
* In both cases you have to show stable income. For family class sponsorship, they look at the past three years (at least that what I saw last year, but this year I can't find this requirement), while supervisa is just one year. Is this correct?
* Could I use the notice of assessment to show my income? Would it hinder my chances if I currently have contract work, so not a stable income?
* Does anything change if I'm located in Quebec?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
alexb said:
Hello all,

I am a recent permanent resident that would like to bring his family over, but I am a bit confused with the sponsorship vs supervisa. As I understand it:

* The family sponsorship class has very limited size and is filled up quickly at the beginning of the year, supervisa doesn't have this.
* In both cases you have to show stable income. For family class sponsorship, they look at the past three years (at least that what I saw last year, but this year I can't find this requirement), while supervisa is just one year. Is this correct?
* Could I use the notice of assessment to show my income? Would it hinder my chances if I currently have contract work, so not a stable income?

Your understanding is correct in all aspects. There are no official limits to the number of supervisas issued each year. You do need to prove that you meet the Low Income Cutoff (LICO) in both cases, but for a supervisa, one year (or even less) will suffice. The NOA is sufficient proof of income, and the source of income doesn't matter so long as it is Canadian income. I don't think being located in Quebec makes any difference.

Nyhiraba

Star Member
Mar 11, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 9, 2015
AOR Received.
Oct 23, 2015
File Transfer...
Nov 10, 2015
Med's Done....
May 2015, redone Nov 9, 2016
Interview........
Nov 8, 2016
Passport Req..
Nov 8, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 21, 2016
LANDED..........
March 14, 2017
alexb said:
Hello all,

* The family sponsorship class has very limited size and is filled up quickly at the beginning of the year
, supervisa doesn't have this.

Where did you get this information from? :eek:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Nyhiraba said:
Where did you get this information from? :eek:
Parent and grandparent sponsorship applications have an annual cap that fills by very early January. This is a well known fact: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/sponsor-parents.asp

Nyhiraba

Star Member
Mar 11, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sep 9, 2015
AOR Received.
Oct 23, 2015
File Transfer...
Nov 10, 2015
Med's Done....
May 2015, redone Nov 9, 2016
Interview........
Nov 8, 2016
Passport Req..
Nov 8, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 21, 2016
LANDED..........
March 14, 2017
scylla said:
Parent and grandparent sponsorship applications have an annual cap that fills by very early January. This is a well known fact: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/sponsor-parents.asp
Aaahhh that makes sense. I thought by family he meant nuclear not extended.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
alexb said:
Yes, for sponsoring parents Quebec did not adopt the new rules of requiring 3 years income to qualify as sponsor. As far as I know they are still just using past 12 months of income to qualify.

Of course this may change at any time.