+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family sponsorship Question

MountainMan256

Jul 31, 2016
Hi, I am applying Outland and my partner is sponsoring me. If for some reason my visitor extension is denied, does that cancel the permanent residency application? I know it will for inland, but I am not sure if that is the case for Outland.

Janii

Mar 11, 2017
You're applying Outland when you are living IN Canada?

It does not cancel the PR application since you have implied status as soon as you send your PR application in. It is a good idea though to get the extension (especially if you don't plan on applying for an open work permit - which would grant you status in Canada) just in case anything happens with your PR application -- it is rare that an extension is denied.

I sponsored my husband, who is from the US, and we did a total of two extensions in the entire process. 1 extension to reach a common-law status and 1 more to overlap in case our PR application was sent back for any reason.

MountainMan256

Jul 31, 2016
You're applying Outland when you are living IN Canada?

It does not cancel the PR application since you have implied status as soon as you send your PR application in. It is a good idea though to get the extension (especially if you don't plan on applying for an open work permit - which would grant you status in Canada) just in case anything happens with your PR application -- it is rare that an extension is denied.

I sponsored my husband, who is from the US, and we did a total of two extensions in the entire process. 1 extension to reach a common-law status and 1 more to overlap in case our PR application was sent back for any reason.
You definetly are NOT on implied status from submitting a PR application.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Hi, I am applying Outland and my partner is sponsoring me. If for some reason my visitor extension is denied, does that cancel the permanent residency application? I know it will for inland, but I am not sure if that is the case for Outland.
If your visitor visa is denied you will be out status.

You could apply for a restoration of status up to 90 days after the visitor refusal. No guarantee that would be approved.

In the unlikely case your visitor app is refused it doesn't make your Outland pr application void.

I really wouldn't worry about it as from previous posts I would gather you submitted proof of pr app with your visitor extension application.

You seem to be overthinking things (which I know is difficult not to do in this process.)

Reactions: MountainMan256

MountainMan256

Jul 31, 2016
If your visitor visa is denied you will be out status.

You could apply for a restoration of status up to 90 days after the visitor refusal. No guarantee that would be approved.

In the unlikely case your visitor app is refused it doesn't make your Outland pr application void.

I really wouldn't worry about it as from previous posts I would gather you submitted proof of pr app with your visitor extension application.

You seem to be overthinking things (which I know is difficult not to do in this process.)
Yes, I submitted a receipt of my PR application, I told them I haven't sent the app yet in my extension but I am going to within the next two weeks.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
You're right, that's for Inland Applicants. Except while you are waiting for an extension to be approved/sent or denied - that is implied status.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/restoration-status.html
Just to be absolutely clear - submitting an inland PR application gives you no status in Canada. It doesn't give you "implied status" or anything else.

It is ONLY the submission of a application for an Open Work Permit along with the inland PR application that provides "implied status", and then only if you are already in status when the OWP application is submitted.

Reactions: Janii and YVR123