+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Sponsor Class, New Baby, and odd PPR situation!

kayto82

Oct 24, 2017
Hi all,

I have a bit of an odd question and was wondering if anyone had experience with this. I've reached out to the Ottawa VO regarding it, but it's all very time sensitive so I thought I'd reach out here as well.

My husband (Canadian citizen) has sponsored me for PR under the Family Class. Since the process started I've given birth to our son. My husband sent in our little one's birth certificate with my husband's sponsor information back in July and immediately began the process for my son to get his Citizen Certificate. Last night I received my PPR. It said to send my passport and any dependents' passports for stamping UNLESS "you've given birth since our last correspondence." It states that if I've given birth I have to send in my son's birth certificate ONLY instead so that he can now be processed. I have no idea if he's already been processed or if he needs to be due to his current application for citizenship certification.

Does anyone have experience with this? Immigration has had my son's birth certificate since July, but I don't know if he's gone through any processing. My son does have his own application number and UCI number, but this is tied to his citizenship certificate application being processed. I'm trying to figure out if I have to
A) include his passport with mine for Visa purposes
B) Not send any passports, and resend his information so he can be processed (if he hasn't been already?)
or C) None of the above because he's currently going through his own application for citizenship certification.

Unfortunately, I have 30 days to get in his birth certificate or the passports back for the final request and the Ottawa email address states it can take 20 days for a response. My son's citizenship certificate process won't be completed by that time either. And the PPR states that if this step is done incorrectly, my application will be cancelled, and I'll have to start from scratch including paying all the fees all over again. If anyone has had experience with this, I would love to hear about it!

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A and PCC: 01-09-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1: 01-09-2017, AOR2: 19-09-2017
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
I think that sending your passport along with a letter explaining all of this will be okay. Your son would have Canadian citizenship, so I don't think he would need to be added to the application, get medical exams, etc. The problem with these scenarios is when the baby can't get citizenship through one of his/her parents. Someone else got this reply from a VO regarding her new baby:
Important: Note that if your child was born in Canada or if one parent is a Canadian citizen, then the child might be eligible to be a Canadian citizen. If that is the case, you do not need to add the child to your application, and no medical examination or fee is required. You must, however, send us a copy of the child’s birth certificate. You should also contact the Consular section of the High Commission of Canada to make sure the child has the appropriate travel document.

kayto82

Oct 24, 2017
I think that sending your passport along with a letter explaining all of this will be okay. Your son would have Canadian citizenship, so I don't think he would need to be added to the application, get medical exams, etc. The problem with these scenarios is when the baby can't get citizenship through one of his/her parents. Someone else got this reply from a VO regarding her new baby:
Important: Note that if your child was born in Canada or if one parent is a Canadian citizen, then the child might be eligible to be a Canadian citizen. If that is the case, you do not need to add the child to your application, and no medical examination or fee is required. You must, however, send us a copy of the child’s birth certificate. You should also contact the Consular section of the High Commission of Canada to make sure the child has the appropriate travel document.
Thank you so much, JulianaAndrew! That's certainly peace of mind. Hopefully, the Ottawa Visa Office will confirm the same, but if they do not respond within a timely manner, I think it's worth taking the risk of doing just what you've noted here.