+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family separating during PR app

Dnas17

Apr 19, 2019
Hello

current situation is we have a family of 5 a wife and a husband with 2 minor children 1 adult 22 year old. The family is submitting their PR app after being accepted as protected persons and currently all live together.

the mother and father are looking in the next 3-4 months at moving out and seperating each taking a child with them while the adult moves out on their own.

they intend on submitting the PR application as a family before all this, how does or will this affect the application? Who will need to be notified of the changes with regards to 3 different adresses?

would it be better to submit mutiple different PR applications? Is this even possible? I understand its a complex situation.

thank you

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello

current situation is we have a family of 5 a wife and a husband with 2 minor children 1 adult 22 year old. The family is submitting their PR app after being accepted as protected persons and currently all live together.

the mother and father are looking in the next 3-4 months at moving out and seperating each taking a child with them while the adult moves out on their own.

they intend on submitting the PR application as a family before all this, how does or will this affect the application? Who will need to be notified of the changes with regards to 3 different adresses?

would it be better to submit mutiple different PR applications? Is this even possible? I understand its a complex situation.

thank you
They will need separate applications, as there will not be a single principal applicant + multiple dependants if they are separating.

Dnas17

Apr 19, 2019
They will need separate applications, as there will not be a single principal applicant + multiple dependants if they are separating.

What if the application goes in before they seperate? Keep in mind they have no intention of legally divorcing at this time just separating.

Last edited:

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
What if the application goes in after they seperate? Keep in mind they have no intention of legally divorcing at this time just separating.
It does not matter that you are not divorcing. A separation is a separation. 3 separate applications will need to be done. OR you can go ahead and lie to IRCC by not telling them about the separation and see what happens when IRCC finds out.

Dnas17

Apr 19, 2019
It does not matter that you are not divorcing. A separation is a separation. 3 separate applications will need to be done. OR you can go ahead and lie to IRCC by not telling them about the separation and see what happens when IRCC finds out.

No one said anything about lying or intending to lie. This is a complex and difficult procedure to go through and we are just looking for clarification..thanks though. Separate applications it is.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
No one said anything about lying or intending to lie. This is a complex and difficult procedure to go through and we are just looking for clarification..thanks though. Separate applications it is.
Applying for PR after being accepted as refugees is not complex nor difficult. You follow the instructions. If the instructions are not clear, you ask. You look at the IRCC definition of what separated means and you will see they do not require an official divorce to consider you separated. My point is, sending in one application as a family when the husband and wife are separated is a lie.

Dnas17

Apr 19, 2019
Applying for PR after being accepted as refugees is not complex nor difficult. You follow the instructions. If the instructions are not clear, you ask. You look at the IRCC definition of what separated means and you will see they do not require an official divorce to consider you separated. My point is, sending in one application as a family when the husband and wife are separated is a lie.
sorry I know see where the confusion may have been, in my second post i meant to ask what happens if the application is sent in before they separate (its since been edited) and what happens if we need to change the marital status while the app is in processing

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
sorry I know see where the confusion may have been, in my second post i meant to ask what happens if the application is sent in before they separate (its since been edited) and what happens if we need to change the marital status while the app is in processing
I would use the webform and attach a letter explaining the new family composition if the application has already been submitted and processing has started.

Edit: if the application has not started and the separation is 100% sure, send in separate applications to prevent further delays.