+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family reunion: Do we need written authorization or not?

Elijah120293

Nov 24, 2020
Hello,

I live in Canada as a temporary worker (work permit) and my wife is suppose to come join me here. She is a US citizen traveling from the US and to my understanding she doesn't need a written authorization to travel based on what is being written on IRCC website (link below). However, she has been refused to board her plane and has been asked to provide a proof of my permanent residency wich is not needed based on IRCC. Can somebody please tell me what is the best way for her to come join me?

Thank you for your help.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html

santzapaul

Aug 8, 2016
According to the link you have posted, written authorization is not necessary for her to enter Canada. But, she has to provide proof of her relationship with you and proof that you are a permanent resident.

Elijah120293

Nov 24, 2020
Also, according to the same link she can reunite with me as long i am a temporary resident. I just had a confirmation from an IRCC agent for that. However, she has troubles with the flying company (Delta) that is asking my permanent residency proof, which i am not because I am in Canada with a work permit.

Meg678

Nov 24, 2020
Also, according to the same link she can reunite with me as long i am a temporary resident. I just had a confirmation from an IRCC agent for that. However, she has troubles with the flying company (Delta) that is asking my permanent residency proof, which i am not because I am in Canada with a work permit.
I experienced something similar and I was not allowed to board the flight to Toronto, even though I had a written authorization letter (not required if traveling from US) for family reunification as my partner is a temporary resident in Canada.

Harry3048

Dec 10, 2020
Hi Elijah120293, I am also in same situation. My wife is in Canada on work permit And I am currently in USA (Work permit). I am planing to travel to Canada on my visitor visa to meet my wife( 1 month). I sent email to IRCC for travel authorization and they replied its not required to travel from US to Canada.
I see as you mention airline refused your wife to board flight . Could you please let me know if she traveled once you get confirmation from IRCC. if yes which airline she traveled and did they ask any documents. Also please IRCC contact info how did you contact to IRCC. Thanks.

Harry3048

Dec 10, 2020
I experienced something similar and I was not allowed to board the flight to Toronto, even though I had a written authorization letter (not required if traveling from US) for family reunification as my partner is a temporary resident in Canada.
Hi Meg678, Did you check with IRCC regarding this. Are you able to travel or not ? As per IRCC website its mention person can travel for family reunification.
Just checking as I am also in same situation and want to ravel from USA to Canada my wife is on Work visa.

Harry3048

Dec 10, 2020
According to the link you have posted, written authorization is not necessary for her to enter Canada. But, she has to provide proof of her relationship with you and proof that you are a permanent resident.
Hi Santzapaul, I am planing to travel to Canada on visitor visa for family reunification. My partner is on work permit and my brother is Citizen. Can I show my brother citizenships proof to travel. Any advice will be helpful. thanks.

Glenflame

Apr 6, 2020
It is because of covid restriction so any US citizen is not allowed to come to Canada unless there is a direct relationship between a pr and their spouse as per the travel restriction policy.

I suspect the spouses of temporary residents in Canada are not allowed to enter Canada due to the same issue. Not too sure so let any senior member to answer correctly.

santzapaul

Aug 8, 2016
Hi Santzapaul, I am planing to travel to Canada on visitor visa for family reunification. My partner is on work permit and my brother is Citizen. Can I show my brother citizenships proof to travel. Any advice will be helpful. thanks.
If you want to use your brother, a Canadian citizen, as the reason for you to visit Canada, you will have to apply for Authorization to travel.

The easier way for you is to say that you are visiting your wife for at least a month. Even though she is a temporary resident in Canada living on a work permit, you can travel to Canada from the US without getting written authorization. The documents that you can use to try and make sure you are allowed to board your flight to Canada are:
1. Marriage certificate - to establish your relationship with your wife
2. Your wife's work permit
3. A print out of the IRCC web page that mentions that you don't need written authorization to travel to Canada from the US (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html)
4. A return ticket that is dated after a month - to show that you will be staying for more than 15 days

Mayoo4sam

Star Member
Jun 14, 2020
I'm wondering if I may be able to enter Canada right now or get my application fasttracked under extended family member reunification with temp resident.

My girlfriend is living in canada on a LMIA and has PR in process .

We lived together in Canada for 8 months before I left as my IEC had expired.we're together 2 years.

When I left I had always planned to return asap on a 2nd IEC.

I now have another new iec application awaiting processing .

I am using a recognised organisation for a 2nd IEC participation and have submitted a job offer with my application.

It's been 9 weeks since I submitted biometrics ircc told the RO it could take upto 8 weeks , and they also confirmed that Ircc have given poe's to RO IEC candidates with job offers in the last 2/3 weeks.

santzapaul

Aug 8, 2016
I'm wondering if I may be able to enter Canada right now or get my application fasttracked under extended family member reunification with temp resident.

My girlfriend is living in canada on a LMIA and has PR in process .

We lived together in Canada for 8 months before I left as my IEC had expired.we're together 2 years.

When I left I had always planned to return asap on a 2nd IEC.

I now have another new iec application awaiting processing .

I am using a recognised organisation for a 2nd IEC participation and have submitted a job offer with my application.

It's been 9 weeks since I submitted biometrics ircc told the RO it could take upto 8 weeks , and they also confirmed that Ircc have given poe's to RO IEC candidates with job offers in the last 2/3 weeks.
Extended family member reunification does not apply to temporary residents. Only immediate family members of temporary residents are eligible for it. And if I am not wrong, to be considered common-law partners (immediate family member), you both need to have lived together for at least one year. So, even that might not apply to you.

Your scenario seems a bit complex, so the best option would be to contact IRCC client services and ask for their advice. They can only be contacted from inside Canada, so your girlfriend can make the call, and you can join as a conference call and discuss with the agent. You can find their number in the link below:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/client-support-centre.html

Mayoo4sam

Star Member
Jun 14, 2020
Extended family member reunification does not apply to temporary residents. Only immediate family members of temporary residents are eligible for it. And if I am not wrong, to be considered common-law partners (immediate family member), you both need to have lived together for at least one year. So, even that might not apply to you.

Your scenario seems a bit complex, so the best option would be to contact IRCC client services and ask for their advice. They can only be contacted from inside Canada, so your girlfriend can make the call, and you can join as a conference call and discuss with the agent. You can find their number in the link below:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/client-support-centre.html
Thanks for the reply , it is most helpful

Reactions: santzapaul

Harry3048

Dec 10, 2020
If you want to use your brother, a Canadian citizen, as the reason for you to visit Canada, you will have to apply for Authorization to travel.

The easier way for you is to say that you are visiting your wife for at least a month. Even though she is a temporary resident in Canada living on a work permit, you can travel to Canada from the US without getting written authorization. The documents that you can use to try and make sure you are allowed to board your flight to Canada are:
1. Marriage certificate - to establish your relationship with your wife
2. Your wife's work permit
3. A print out of the IRCC web page that mentions that you don't need written authorization to travel to Canada from the US (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html)
4. A return ticket that is dated after a month - to show that you will be staying for more than 15 days
Thank you for your response. This information is helpful. I am just wondering "Elijah120293" (Original poster)also had same case then why airline stop her wife to board.

Reactions: santzapaul