+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family reunification - finally a priority!

basketballfan

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
SW Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2014
AOR Received.
Feb 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 2014
Med's Done....
August 2013 ; September 2015
Passport Req..
November 2015
I think I will stop by the liberal candidates office to show my appreciation for this campaign promise. It means a lot to our family that this is considered a priority.

http://www.liberal.ca/liberals-unveil-new-plan-for-immigration-focused-on-family-reunification-middle-class-growth/?utm_content=buffer1ae18&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
basketballfan said:
I think I will stop by the liberal candidates office to show my appreciation for this campaign promise. It means a lot to our family that this is considered a priority.

http://www.liberal.ca/liberals-unveil-new-plan-for-immigration-focused-on-family-reunification-middle-class-growth/?utm_content=buffer1ae18&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
If only Mr. Trudeau would clarify what he meant by this:
A Liberal government will also change the rules so that spouses immigrating to Canada receive immediate permanent residency, getting rid of the current two-year waiting period.

The only two year waiting period that we all know about, is the conditional PR (Condition 51) that applies to couples that had not been together at least two years on the day that CIC received the sponsorship application. So, is he saying that this will be eliminated...or is he really saying that a spouse or partner will be granted PR immediately upon receipt of their sponsorship application.

Two different things altogether.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If only Mr. Trudeau himself knew what he was talking about, he for sure would clarify his statement...

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016

jamsham12

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/19/2015
AOR Received.
03/16/2015
File Transfer...
04/21/2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 08/06/2015 DM: 10/31/2015
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2015
LANDED..........
12/30/2015

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
Yeah its a shame because a lot of the other policies on that are quite good...

I think he has been misinformed about condition 51, spouses are not left vulnerable, there are provisions already in place to prevent this.

One thing I think is missing is what he will do to prevent sham marriages, what is he going to do to protect Canadian sponsors?

jamsham12

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/19/2015
AOR Received.
03/16/2015
File Transfer...
04/21/2015
Passport Req..
In Process: 08/06/2015 DM: 10/31/2015
VISA ISSUED...
11/16/2015
LANDED..........
12/30/2015
kangamoose said:
Yeah its a shame because a lot of the other policies on that are quite good...

I think he has been misinformed about condition 51, spouses are not left vulnerable, there are provisions already in place to prevent this.

One thing I think is missing is what he will do to prevent sham marriages, what is he going to do to protect Canadian sponsors?
I am all for immigration reform and reducing processing times of family class application but to remove a barrier to prevent sham marriages and immigration fraud is pretty disappointing especially when you have a good amount of people in Canada taking advantage of an already broken system, so you are going to tear down more barriers to get some additional votes from minorities to get elected info office? WTF?

nmclean

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
Doc's Request.
28-01-2016
File Transfer...
28-09-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-2016
LANDED..........
28-06-2016
basketballfan said:
Family reunification - finally a priority!
Like it was a priority when this was published years ago?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/action-plan-fam.asp

Or how about the claim that "family reunification is one of the three pillars of CIC's immigration program" made here?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/evaluation/frp/index.asp

kangamoose said:
He is definitely referring to conditional status:

Taken from the link at the bottom of the page that outlines his policies in more detail

https://www.liberal.ca/files/2015/09/A-new-plan-for-Canadian-immigration-and-economic-opportunity.pdf
Now that I read that, I'm convinced he means condition 51 too (note the "new spouses"). So yeah, he's definitely misinformed... if anything, removing the condition will further support the exploitation of "vulnerable women"...

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just when you think that `the system' couldn't get any worse.

A better plan, IMHO, would be to give all spouses/partners an immediate conditional PR; contingent on CIC verifying the sponsor, applicant and their true relationship with the sponsor. This would allow the foreign national to work, pay taxes, have health care...basically `live' in Canada with their sponsor immediately, while the process is completed. With this, who cares how long it takes CIC to do their job!

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
jamsham12 said:
I am all for immigration reform and reducing processing times of family class application but to remove a barrier to prevent sham marriages and immigration fraud is pretty disappointing especially when you have a good amount of people in Canada taking advantage of an already broken system, so you are going to tear down more barriers to get some additional votes from minorities to get elected info office? WTF?
I completely agree and the additional votes he'd be getting from this would be so small. Its bad policy and this is coming from someone who will likely have condition 51 on my PR.

Ponga said:

A better plan, IMHO, would be to give all spouses/partners an immediate conditional PR; contingent on CIC verifying the sponsor, applicant and their true relationship with the sponsor. This would allow the foreign national to work, pay taxes, have health care...basically `live' in Canada with their sponsor immediately, while the process is completed. With this, who cares how long it takes CIC to do their job!
Australia has something similar to this, you apply for a partner visa which grants you most of the rights as a PR (the only thing you don't get is access to subsidized student fees) for 2 years. PR will then be granted after the 2 years.. I think its our version of conditional permanent residency, its not perfect and there are a LOT of floors but you can be together at least.

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ponga said:

That would be a solution to a problem. Government is not interested to solve a problem, just to show a process of doing it...

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nmclean said:
Like it was a priority when this was published years ago?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/action-plan-fam.asp

Or how about the claim that "family reunification is one of the three pillars of CIC's immigration program" made here?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/evaluation/frp/index.asp
And then there was this, from last year:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2014/ob565.asp

To improve service and processing efficiency, responsibility for processing SCLPC applications was transferred from CPC-V to CPC-M to leverage its expertise in family class processing. These changes will ensure that Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) continues to meet its operational objectives in support of the Department’s ongoing modernization agenda.

Yeah....that worked well. They forgot to mention that this plan included the furloughing of veteran [experienced] staff that were replaced with students and seniors that were given three days of training. :D

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
Ponga said:
And then there was this, from last year:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2014/ob565.asp

To improve service and processing efficiency, responsibility for processing SCLPC applications was transferred from CPC-V to CPC-M to leverage its expertise in family class processing. These changes will ensure that Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) continues to meet its operational objectives in support of the Department's ongoing modernization agenda.

Yeah....that worked well. They forgot to mention that this plan included the furloughing of veteran [experienced] staff that were replaced with students and seniors that were given three days of training. :D
Three days of training isn't enough to perform any job, I was given more training than that during my retail days! ::)

basketballfan

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
SW Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2014
AOR Received.
Feb 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 2014
Med's Done....
August 2013 ; September 2015
Passport Req..
November 2015
"Granting immediate permanent residency to new spouses entering Canada, rather than imposing a two-year conditional status that puts spouses – often women – in a position of extreme vulnerability."

I think the plans looks very good - although I'll read more in depth after work. As for conditional PR - I think it is true that some women's husbands threaten them to make them lose their conditional PR (i.e., report to CIC) - I've seen some women posting questions here about that however I am not sure how common that is and conditional PR definitely protects against fraud. I thought there were some provisions for conditional PRs who suffer abuse to be able to leave their partners and remain in Canada. Perhaps similar provisions should be put in place for other vulnerable women threatened by their husbands rather than getting ride of conditional PR all together.