+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family reunification - finally a priority!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
basketballfan said:
"Granting immediate permanent residency to new spouses entering Canada, rather than imposing a two-year conditional status that puts spouses – often women – in a position of extreme vulnerability."

I think the plans looks very good - although I'll read more in depth after work. As for conditional PR - I think it is true that some women's husbands threaten them to make them lose their conditional PR (i.e., report to CIC) - I've seen some women posting questions here about that however I am not sure how common that is and conditional PR definitely protects against fraud. I thought there were some provisions for conditional PRs who suffer abuse to be able to leave their partners and remain in Canada. Perhaps similar provisions should be put in place for other vulnerable women threatened by their husbands rather than getting ride of conditional PR all together.
Yes there are provisions to protect the sponsored applicant (women and men) from abuse by their sponsor. There has been already one applicant who left his wife but won his appeal to remain in Canada because of verbal and mental abuse.

chilkootcee

Champion Member
Mar 3, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-Jun-2015
Interview........
None required
LANDED..........
01-Apr-2016
Ponga said:
Just when you think that `the system' couldn't get any worse.

A better plan, IMHO, would be to give all spouses/partners an immediate conditional PR; contingent on CIC verifying the sponsor, applicant and their true relationship with the sponsor. This would allow the foreign national to work, pay taxes, have health care...basically `live' in Canada with their sponsor immediately, while the process is completed. With this, who cares how long it takes CIC to do their job!
Agree condition 51 should not be touched...and conditional PR would be a good interim...and if not PR, at least TRV with multiple entry :)

C.

kangamoose

Jul 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03/08/2015
AOR Received.
02/09/2015
File Transfer...
AOR2 06/10/2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11/07/2015
Passport Req..
DM 10/02/2016 Passport Copy Request 11/02/2016
LANDED..........
03/03/2016
basketballfan said:
"Granting immediate permanent residency to new spouses entering Canada, rather than imposing a two-year conditional status that puts spouses – often women – in a position of extreme vulnerability."

I think the plans looks very good - although I'll read more in depth after work. As for conditional PR - I think it is true that some women's husbands threaten them to make them lose their conditional PR (i.e., report to CIC) - I've seen some women posting questions here about that however I am not sure how common that is and conditional PR definitely protects against fraud. I thought there were some provisions for conditional PRs who suffer abuse to be able to leave their partners and remain in Canada. Perhaps similar provisions should be put in place for other vulnerable women threatened by their husbands rather than getting ride of conditional PR all together.
I feel like this is more a point of the spouse not knowing their rights. It could be remedied by a bit of education at landing, provide each person with something to read and sign that they acknowledge they are aware of their rights, what conditional PR really means and what is considered abuse. Of course I'm not naive enough to think that this will solve spousal abuse but knowing that they are not bound to their abuser for two years could help some people.

chilkootcee said:
Agree condition 51 should not be touched...and conditional PR would be a good interim...and if not PR, at least TRV with multiple entry :)

C.
I agree, if they are so worried about overstay they could put provisions in place. Make the person report to a local police station or something every few months.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
basketballfan said:

The problem is that even those with conditional PR (Condition 51) ARE granted PR immediately...after they wait for CIC to process their applications.

What Mr.Trudeau should have siad was that he will eliminate the conditional PR, since THAT'S what he meant to say.

As soon as a person completes the landing process, they ARE granted immediate PR.

WeeHippieElf

Jul 20, 2015
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2015
Doc's Request.
10-11-2015
AOR Received.
04-06-2015
File Transfer...
06-08-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
DM 13-11-2015!!!
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 09-01-2016!!!!!
LANDED..........
21-05-2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i'd be throwing my vote at Trudeau if he meant he was eliminating processing time. i have no issue at all with condition 51 - heck, if the requirement to live with their spouse for 2 years scares anyone, maybe they should rethink their marriage, let alone their immigration plans. so eliminating that condition really means nothing. eliminating the excessively long processing times, on the other hand.. yep, i'd probably be bribing my friends and family to vote Liberal too ;)