+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Reunification considered essential? I have PR, spouse has visit visa

hibbsdibbs

Oct 4, 2017
I looked through the threads and could not find the answer I was looking for.

Background: I have a valid PR, and my spouse already has a Canadian visit visa, valid until 2022. My husband and I haven't seen each other since the beginning of 2021. We are both fully vaccinated, have relevant supporting documents in order, and want to hopefully take advantage of hotel+federal quarantine exemption post July 21, 2021.

Question: What are his chances to get through? Did anybody have entry issues at the airport/immigration with regards to "family reunification" reason? Is it considered non-essential? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

I got the following result for his eligibility:
You indicated that you are:
• a foreign national
• not showing signs and symptoms consistent with COVID-19
• reuniting with a Canadian citizen, a person registered under the Indian Act, or a permanent resident
• the immediate family member of a Canadian citizen, a person registered under the Indian Act, or a permanent resident
Based on your answers, you will likely be allowed to enter Canada; however, the final determination will be made by a government official at the port of entry.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I looked through the threads and could not find the answer I was looking for.

Background: I have a valid PR, and my spouse already has a Canadian visit visa, valid until 2022. My husband and I haven't seen each other since the beginning of 2021. We are both fully vaccinated, have relevant supporting documents in order, and want to hopefully take advantage of hotel+federal quarantine exemption post July 21, 2021.

Question: What are his chances to get through? Did anybody have entry issues at the airport/immigration with regards to "family reunification" reason? Is it considered non-essential? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

I got the following result for his eligibility:
You indicated that you are:
• a foreign national
• not showing signs and symptoms consistent with COVID-19
• reuniting with a Canadian citizen, a person registered under the Indian Act, or a permanent resident
• the immediate family member of a Canadian citizen, a person registered under the Indian Act, or a permanent resident
Based on your answers, you will likely be allowed to enter Canada; however, the final determination will be made by a government official at the port of entry.
He's allowed to travel to Canada as an immediate family member and has been allowed to travel for quite a long time now.

Reactions: hibbsdibbs

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
At present, he won’t be able to bypass quarantine. Only Canadian citizens and PR have that option available to them.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
At present, he won’t be able to bypass quarantine. Only Canadian citizens and PR have that option available to them.
That's wrong. The rules were clarified when IRCC posted the full details on July 5th. It applies to everyone.

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/news/2021/07/reminder--on-july-5th-fully-vaccinated-travellers-eligible-to-enter-canada-can-benefit-from-reduced-public-health-measures.html

Who is eligible to enter Canada?

These changes are only applicable to fully vaccinated travellers who are currently eligible to enter Canada. This means those who enter by right (Canadian citizens, permanent residents and persons registered under the Indian Act) as well as foreign nationals who are eligible for entry

LJayme

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
That's wrong. The rules were clarified when IRCC posted the full details on July 5th. It applies to everyone.

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/news/2021/07/reminder--on-july-5th-fully-vaccinated-travellers-eligible-to-enter-canada-can-benefit-from-reduced-public-health-measures.html

These changes are only applicable to fully vaccinated travellers who are currently eligible to enter Canada. This means those who enter by right (Canadian citizens, permanent residents and persons registered under the Indian Act) as well as foreign nationals who are eligible for entry
I was not aware of this information, thank you! We have an on going spousal application (January 2020) and have decided to apply for trv (family reunification), does this new measures mean that my husband will be allowed to quarantine at home if he gets approve?

hibbsdibbs

Oct 4, 2017
Thanks for your reply. We are waiting to see how the rules for quarantine change for permitted and fully vaccinated travellers after July 21, 2021. Fingers crossed.

hibbsdibbs

Oct 4, 2017

Wow. Thanks for this link, Scylla! I was under the impression that international travellers get exemption tentatively after July 21, 2021.

harrygill2308

Feb 4, 2019
Hi Guys.. My parents ( from India-fully vaccinated) would like to visit me. I am a Citizen of Canada. With the new travel advisory it states that they can come visit me via a third country where they have to get a PCR done within last 72 hours and MIGHT have to stay in that third country for 14 days. The word might means there are some exceptions to the rule. Does anyone know if they can visit me. They already have their visa so that's not an issue. Has anyone parents recently travelled from India on tourist visa. Quarantine is not an issue with us, as I would rather have them quarantine here rather than in a third country. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was not aware of this information, thank you! We have an on going spousal application (January 2020) and have decided to apply for trv (family reunification), does this new measures mean that my husband will be allowed to quarantine at home if he gets approve?
If he isn’t vaccinated (Canadian approved vaccinations only) he must go to hotel quarantine first and then can quarantine at your home if you have a separate area like a basement where he can remain separate from non-travellers.

LJayme

Star Member
Feb 2, 2021
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
If he isn’t vaccinated (Canadian approved vaccinations only) he must go to hotel quarantine first and then can quarantine at your home if you have a separate area like a basement where he can remain separate from non-travellers.
He already got his first dose and second will be for August, I think by that time they finalized everything he'll be fully vaccinated. So if he does arrive fully vaccinated he can quarantine at home? And the test will be on the 8th day and not at the airport is that right?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He already got his first dose and second will be for August, I think by that time they finalized everything he'll be fully vaccinated. So if he does arrive fully vaccinated he can quarantine at home? And the test will be on the 8th day and not at the airport is that right?
If he gets his second dose and travels 2 weeks after his second dose he can come to Canada and skip quarantine. If not, he has to do hotel quarantine followed by home quarantine in an area like a basement without contact with non-travellers.

• Love
Reactions: LJayme

powereng1982

Jun 4, 2021
Canada
Hi Guys.. My parents ( from India-fully vaccinated) would like to visit me. I am a Citizen of Canada. With the new travel advisory it states that they can come visit me via a third country where they have to get a PCR done within last 72 hours and MIGHT have to stay in that third country for 14 days. The word might means there are some exceptions to the rule. Does anyone know if they can visit me. They already have their visa so that's not an issue. Has anyone parents recently travelled from India on tourist visa. Quarantine is not an issue with us, as I would rather have them quarantine here rather than in a third country. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Requirement of staying of 14 days in third country national is maiinly because of INDIA and is not related to recent vaccination policies and does not apply to others.

So regardless he is exempted from quarantine at Hotel or isolation at home, he would still require to get travel visa from a third national country and spend 14 days there before he can travel to canada.

Feb 7, 2020
Hi there. I am a permanent resident and I want to ask if my sister would be allowed to visit me here with her baby? I know she is considered an extended family member but I am not sure about my niece. She is also 1 year old, I don't know if age is a factor.

hibbsdibbs

Oct 4, 2017

In light of the latest news/situation, is my husband exempt from hotel and federal quarantine now? Reminder: hes fully vaccinated, has valid visit visa, will stay for more than 15 days, and I have a valid PR and relevant supporting documents to prove our relationship. Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In light of the latest news/situation, is my husband exempt from hotel and federal quarantine now? Reminder: hes fully vaccinated, has valid visit visa, will stay for more than 15 days, and I have a valid PR and relevant supporting documents to prove our relationship. Your reply would be greatly appreciated.
Yes he will not have to do any quarantine with the new rules as long as he has has Pfizer, Moderna or AstraZeneca.