Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2010
AOR Received.
20-01-2011
Med's Done....
25-10-2010
Hello,

I was married this past july, and all my close friends attended my wedding however no one from my immediate family came. This is becuase they don't truly support my husband and I and our decision to be together.

Is anyone in the same positions as I am?? Doesn't it look bad on the application if no one from my family attended our wedding?? Most of my family has already met my husband in previous occasions, however I'm scared the IO will think our relationship is not genuine becuase my family did not attend.

Some advise, or just kind words encouragement would go a long way!! :(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am sure that immigration has seen relationships before where the family does not approve. Basically try your best to prove your relationship and write a letter explaining that your family did not attend the wedding because they do not approve of your choice of husband, whatever their reasons.

confusednscared

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Outland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2009 CPC-M
Doc's Request.
NONE
Med's Request
2009, 2010
Interview........
14-09-2010
Passport Req..
02-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-08-2011
LANDED..........
14-09-2011
vvargas said:
Hello,

I was married this past july, and all my close friends attended my wedding however no one from my immediate family came. This is becuase they don't truly support my husband and I and our decision to be together.

Is anyone in the same positions as I am?? Doesn't it look bad on the application if no one from my family attended our wedding?? Most of my family has already met my husband in previous occasions, however I'm scared the IO will think our relationship is not genuine becuase my family did not attend.

Some advise, or just kind words encouragement would go a long way!! :(
This can and will raise a red flag on your application for CIC and they may well ask for an interview. However, their decision is not only based on the fact that your family couldn't attend your wedding.

I know in filling out the Spousal Questionnaire of the application package there are a few repetitive questions that ask about Family members in attendance at your wedding and which ones your spouse has met, etc. Be sure to explain why your family weren't at your wedding. Give as much details as possible and don't lie about it. You can well state that they were cool with the rship all this time until you both decided to get married.

In addition to all this, gather as much evidence you can think of to prove that your rship is genuine and wasn't put in for convenience for the IO. It's all about the evidence and building on more evidence of on going contact and communication between both parties.

IMHO, it wouldn't be a biggie. It may just add a few more months to processing because they may well put you up for an interview to verify this minor issue.

Best wishes!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
VOs want to see family support, but if the family doesn't support the marriage you can still get accepted. Just increase the amount of proof you send that your relationship is genuine, and explain that your family doesn't approve and why. If it is a 'bad' reason such as racism, it will help your case to explain why they disapprove.
Try to get some letters of support from your side - do any more distant relatives approve of the marriage? Or get some letters from friends stating how much in love you two seem and how you're perfect for each other.

ambar

Star Member
Dec 1, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2010
Doc's Request.
15-06-2010
File Transfer...
03-03-2010
Med's Done....
10-11-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
I wrote this on someone else's post above, but from my own experience my family didn't attend my wedding either and my husband was approved for PR last week. So I would say don't stress over it! I'm sure it won't be a problem for you as long as you guys include everything from your relationship, like letters, phone bills, emails, chat logs, etc.

Whoever does support your relationship and can vouch that you guys are in love, maybe have them write a letter for you guys and sign it with their information on it, like contact number. That's what we did as well. Our wedding was a bit complicated as well b/c my husband and I are different religions and we met abroad. At first my family was also not supportive (now they've come around thank God) but it was difficult b/c I was afraid to write all that in the application but I did anyways and it worked out for us. So I'm sure if you are honest and write down how you feel for each other and the circumstances for no one in your family attending, it should not be a big deal.

It might make you feel better to know that at my wedding, it was just me, my hubby and our close friends as witnesses. Neither of us had our immediate families there, but CIC still saw that we love each other and that our relationship is genuine. So it is possible. Just be positive and I'm sure everything will work out :)

vvargas

Sep 22, 2010
Dominican Republic
Category........
Visa Office......
Dominican Republic - Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2010
AOR Received.
20-01-2011
Med's Done....
25-10-2010
Thank you all for your replies!!!! at this point i'm really nervous, but whatever happens is ment to be.

I really appreciate your kind words :)

Glogirl68

Nov 27, 2009
Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would go with Ambar "don't stress" My family didn't attend our wedding for varouis reasons. My husband is here now. NO questions asked at all.

Poetic

Star Member
Sep 22, 2009
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
12-06-2010
Interview........
No Interview!!!
Passport Req..
25-10-2010
Same here, nobody was at our wedding except my husbands buddy and wife. But we did explain that we cut off all ties with family due to personal reasons and them not wanting us to be together. It was fine.