+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family name mismatch between passport and diplomas

May 30, 2018
Greetings members,

As i am preparing to apply for the Express Entry i fell in a little predicament ,

In my national ID and Passport my Family Name was written with a mistake , an added space as XX XXXXXX instead of XXXXXXXX ,wich is wrong , but since the day i made my ID and passport i never changed it .

My education documents however, have the true name without a space except for my last diploma (diploma not transcript of grades) , it has also the mistaken added space.

Now i must choose wether :
1 Change my ID and Passport to be convinient with most of my education documents and have my true name
2 Or send the application knowing that it is not a big deal and knowing i can get a birth certificate with the added space as well if needed.

Please let me know according to the way the CIC minister evaluates identity with educational documents, if i can be sure to follow the second choice, please note that MOST of my educational documents are not conform with the name in the passport , that's why i was worried if my application would be rejected.

Thank you and good luck.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
There is a field called 'other names used' in the application. Fill in the alternate spelling over there. Also, explain this in your letter of explanation. The name on Passport is your official name unless you change it.

May 30, 2018
Thank you,

I am aware of these kinds of apologies (LOE....) but i was wandering, according to the experience of people, and the way the CIC evaluates the document , how much chance do i have that my explanation will convince them according to my specific case, and how much chance my file is gonna be rejected(as most of mu study documents are different than passport).

can you please tell me the gravity of the error and its impact on my application according to your previous experience.

Concerning the 'other names used' field i suggest that would have a title like 'Birth name' or 'changed name' 'Alternate name'....,?

May 30, 2018
Thank you all for your advices ,
I solved the problem, i will make a note about the mismatch in the LOE , Hope you all the luck