+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family income for parents’ sponsorship

dsyleven

Dec 21, 2015
Hi everyone,
I’m new to this forum and I wish I could get some help from you guys. Thanks :)

My wife and I want to sponsor my parents to Canada and we know family income is very important to sponsorship. However my case is a bit special here.

In 2013, my family size was 5 people (my wife, me, my first kid and my parents). In 2014 my family size became 6 people as we got our newborn baby (my wife, me, my two kids and my parents)

I know that my family size is definitely considered as 6 people for year 2014 and after. My questions are:
1. Would CIC consider my family size as 5 people or 6 people for year 2013, although we didn’t even have our second kid yet?
2. I receive regular EI every year as I work seasonally (between Mar and Nov), does regular EI consider as a part of family income for parents sponsorship?
3. My wife was also taking Maternity and Parental EI for last 52 weeks, do they consider as a part of family income for parents sponsorship?
4. We receive Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB) and Canada Child Tax Benefit (CCTB), do they consider as a part of family income for parents sponsorship?

Thanks very much for any help. :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your family size will be 6 for all three years (2014, 2013 and 2012).

M

mikeymyke

Unfortunately your family size will be 6 for all previous years. However the good news is both spouses are able to combine their income to sponsor

dsyleven

Dec 21, 2015
scylla said:
Your family size will be 6 for all three years (2014, 2013 and 2012).

Thanks for replying, I have checked it with some immigration consultants, some of them said 5, some of them said 6. Therefore I'm very confused now. Do you have any related link from CIC about this? Thanks again

dsyleven

Dec 21, 2015
mikeymyke said:
Unfortunately your family size will be 6 for all previous years. However the good news is both spouses are able to combine their income to sponsor
Thanks for replying, I have checked it with some immigration consultants, some of them said 5, some of them said 6. Therefore I'm very confused now. Do you have any related link from CIC about this? Thanks again

M

mikeymyke

No, it's definitely 6. Any new additions to your family will work against your previous years. The good news is that once you've submitted the app, any future additions to your family size won't affect the application, provided your app doesn't get refused or returned back to you of course. Also, you cannot do something like sponsor just one parent to reduce the family size. BOTH parents must be included in the sponsorship and in the family size calculation

dsyleven

Dec 21, 2015
mikeymyke said:
No, it's definitely 6. Any new additions to your family will work against your previous years. The good news is that once you've submitted the app, any future additions to your family size won't affect the application, provided your app doesn't get refused or returned back to you of course. Also, you cannot do something like sponsor just one parent to reduce the family size. BOTH parents must be included in the sponsorship and in the family size calculation
Thanks for that, would you be able to answer questions 2-4 please. Thank you :)

jask

Star Member
May 24, 2013
Surrey, BC Canada
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2014
Doc's Request.
30-09-2014
AOR Received.
15-05-2014
File Transfer...
14-06-2014
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
28-10-2015
Your EI benefits and your wife's maternity benefits and children's universal benefits are considered as your income. CCTB is not your income because you don't pay tax on that amount.
When I sponsored my parents, I was not married. So, we were only three family members. Later on when I got married, immigration did ask for my income according to 4 family members.
Then last year when my daughter was born, they asked for my income according to 5 family members and I again sent my income proofs to them in May 2015. Good thing is that they sent me an email last month that they are satisfied that I am continuing to meet the income requirements regardless to increase in family size.
I hope this information will help you.

dsyleven said:
Thanks for that, would you be able to answer questions 2-4 please. Thank you :)

dsyleven

Dec 21, 2015
jask said:
Your EI benefits and your wife's maternity benefits and children's universal benefits are considered as your income. CCTB is not your income because you don't pay tax on that amount.
When I sponsored my parents, I was not married. So, we were only three family members. Later on when I got married, immigration did ask for my income according to 4 family members.
Then last year when my daughter was born, they asked for my income according to 5 family members and I again sent my income proofs to them in May 2015. Good thing is that they sent me an email last month that they are satisfied that I am continuing to meet the income requirements regardless to increase in family size.
I hope this information will help you.
Many thanks for your replying. Before you submitted your application, did you always have the same family size (you and your parents) for all 3 years by the way? Did CIC ask your income again for more members after they started to proccess your application or during the 3 years before you submitted your application? Thank you.

jask

Star Member
May 24, 2013
Surrey, BC Canada
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2014
Doc's Request.
30-09-2014
AOR Received.
15-05-2014
File Transfer...
14-06-2014
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
28-10-2015
That time the system was different. They were looking at previous year's income only. Now you have to show income for last three years.
They asked for proofs of increased income after I submitted the application. At first they asked in August 2014 for income of 2012 and 2013. Then they asked for income for year 2014 in May 2015.

dsyleven said:
Many thanks for your replying. Before you submitted your application, did you always have the same family size (you and your parents) for all 3 years by the way? Did CIC ask your income again for more members after they started to proccess your application or during the 3 years before you submitted your application? Thank you.

Ben0101

Star Member
Oct 11, 2013
Hi guys, i am in a similar situation. I meet income requirements for the past 3 years. I submitted my mom's application in may 2016 but now that my baby is due soon and my mom's application is not finalized. With addition of baby my income in one of the year is a little short. Do you think they will reevaluate as of my current income or as of those same 3 years?
Ny idea?

immigiration1

Star Member
Jul 13, 2014
Good evening All,

I have received the invitation today and honestly i wasn't expecting it to come. I applied for it last year as my friend was applying for his parents. I know its late but i have a questions in terms of income requirement. For the year 2018 my income was $66k and i have a family of four. Since i will be applying for my parents visa do i need to consider them in my 2018 income as well which will make my family to 6 or should i only consider them for the 2020 income as i am applying for them in 2021. The only reason i am asking this question is because if i consider my parents in 2018 then i donot meet the income requirement however my income was high in 2019 and 2020 ? what are your thoughts .. do you think it is worth applying as CIC may show some flexibility ?