+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family count - Parents Sponsorship

br0ek

Oct 26, 2016
I and my wife are eligible to sponsor our parents this year. While going through all the requirements I found that there will be filed in "Intent to submit" form for the family count. And I find the following information from the CIC site. Still, I have some doubt pint#4&5. I am planning to be co-signer in my wife's application.
So, what will be family count for me and my wife?
1) 4 (I,wife,mom&dad)
2) 6 (I,wife,mom,dad,m-in-law&f-in-law)

How to calculate the family size?
The size of the family determines the amount of income you need to make to sponsor. Use this table below to assist you in calculating the size of your family:

1. Count:Note: Children who meet the definition of a dependent child must be included in the calculation, even if you as a sponsor do not have custody nor provide child support.

2. Count:
    • the number of persons you are now sponsoring and
    • all dependent family members of that person, whether or not they are accompanying.
  3. Count the number of persons covered by other valid undertakings you have made or co-signed in the past.
  4. If you have a co-signer, count all persons covered by still valid undertakings made or co-signed by your co-signer.
  5. Calculate the number of persons covered in steps 1 to 4. The total represents the family size
  6. Look at the Federal Income Table for Parents and Grandparents Sponsorship in this guide to help you decide if you have the financial ability to meet sponsorship requirements. Note that your calculations will only be an estimate.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html#undertaking

br0ek

Oct 26, 2016
It's 2)
6 for both of your applications.
Thanks for your reply.

I just got confused by the term "valid undertakings ". #3 says about the member I co-signed in the past. Which I never did but I am planning to co-signed my wife application. So, I thought for myself family count will be 4 and for her 6.
Let me know if I am incorrect.

[EDIT]
I am not planning to make my wife co-signer in my application as I can meet all the criteria without her.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for your reply.

I just got confused by the term "valid undertakings ". #3 says about the member I co-signed in the past. Which I never did but I am planning to co-signed my wife application. So, I thought for myself family count will be 4 and for her 6.
Let me know if I am incorrect.

[EDIT]
I am not planning to make my wife co-signer in my application as I can meet all the criteria without her.
If you are not making her a cosigner, then it's only 4 for you.

And it's going to be 6 for her.

Reactions: br0ek

br0ek

Oct 26, 2016
Also, there will be following 2 things asked in intent to submit form.
  1. the number of family members in your family unit
  2. the total number of persons you want to sponsor, including their dependants (spouse, partner and children)
What will be number for both if we will be co-signer in each other's application?
I thought
1) 6
2) 2

Please let me know if I am correct.

Meri.Poppins

Dec 6, 2016
Also, there will be following 2 things asked in intent to submit form.
  1. the number of family members in your family unit
  2. the total number of persons you want to sponsor, including their dependants (spouse, partner and children)
What will be number for both if we will be co-signer in each other's application?
I thought
1) 6
2) 2

Please let me know if I am correct.
I'm actually in similar situation and posted my question today in Parents Sponsorship 2019 tread, still nobody reply. After carefully checking how to calculate family unit size in cic guideline, I believe for each of you #1 question should be 4 and number #2 is 2. In my situation we have a family of four (me, my spouse and 2 kids), I'm sponsoring my mom while my husband simultaneously will apply for his two parents. Since in the explanation how to calculate family size there is no information to include those you are intended to co-sign, I believe in our case my family size will be 5 and my spouse's is 6.

Meri.Poppins

Dec 6, 2016
If both your applications will be selected, in the financial form (I checked one from the previous year) you can add people in the undertaking you co-signed but is not in effect yet and provide the explanation on the back side of the form. However in the EOI there is no such field, so you probably should only count your actual family members and those you're trying to sponsor, but no co-signing, since it's only the intention to co-sign and it could happen that only one of your application will be selected, either yours or your spouse's. That's my guess on this.

Meri.Poppins

Dec 6, 2016
Based on CIC explanation below, the answers in your and mine situation for questions #3 and 4 should be 0 since neither me nor my spouse didn't made or co-signed ANY undertakings in the past, so I can't count my intention to co-sign for in-laws in the EOI since it's only INTENTION. However, if we will be chosen to apply, in this case I HAVE TO calculate both my mom and in-laws since I'm co-signing for them at this moment. Quite frustrating that CIC didn't post any clarifications for couples who apply simultaneously.
  1. Count:
  2. yourself,
  1. Note: Children who meet the definition of a dependent child must be included in the calculation, even if you as a sponsor do not have custody nor provide child support.
    1. Count:
    2. the number of persons you are now sponsoring and
  • all dependent family members of that person, whether or not they are accompanying.
  1. Count the number of persons covered by other valid undertakings you have made or co-signed in the past.
  2. If you have a co-signer, count all persons covered by still valid undertakings made or co-signed by your co-signer.
  3. Calculate the number of persons covered in steps 1 to 4. The total represents the family size

br0ek

Oct 26, 2016
Thanks every one.
I am planning to go with the following numbers

1. the number of family members in your family unit = 4(Me, spouse, mom & dad)
  2. the total number of persons you want to sponsor, including their dependants (spouse, partner and children) = 2 (Mom & Dad)

Last edited:

Meri.Poppins

Dec 6, 2016
Thanks every one.
I am planning to go with the following numbers

1. the number of family members in your family unit = 4(Me, spouse, mom & dad)
  2. the total number of persons you want to sponsor, including their dependants (spouse, partner and children) = 2 (Me & Spouse)
the total number of persons you want to sponsor is 2, but it's not you and your spouse, it's your mom and your dad cause you are sponsoring them.