+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family class sponsorship - Notarized documents?

undisclosed

Mar 2, 2020
Hi,

Me and my Canadian common-law partner (not residing in Canada) are currently preparing our Family class sponsorship application. I did not find any information on the application package regarding notarized letters/documents.

We were not planning on having any letters notarized, but I am now having second thoughts.

The letters I was thinking might need to be notarized are:
- letter from my partner's Canadian relative, stating we can live with them on arrival until we are settled in (also proving my partner's intent on living in Canada once I obtain PR)
- letters from our relatives and friends proving the legitimacy of our relationship

Can anyone provide any useful information please? Are there any letters which MUST be notarized? Or should be, as a best practice?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

canadan_

Jan 26, 2020
Hi,

Me and my Canadian common-law partner (not residing in Canada) are currently preparing our Family class sponsorship application. I did not find any information on the application package regarding notarized letters/documents.

We were not planning on having any letters notarized, but I am now having second thoughts.

The letters I was thinking might need to be notarized are:
- letter from my partner's Canadian relative, stating we can live with them on arrival until we are settled in (also proving my partner's intent on living in Canada once I obtain PR)
- letters from our relatives and friends proving the legitimacy of our relationship

Can anyone provide any useful information please? Are there any letters which MUST be notarized? Or should be, as a best practice?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
No letters need to be notarized. They did in the past, but no longer necessary.

We happened to have a letter notarized that my partner’s parents wrote for us (she’s the Canadian citizen and sponsor) as they were also offering to assist us in settling when we arrive and to reinforce the fact my partner intends to return to Canada when I’m approved as PR, but strictly speaking we didn’t have to get this letter notarized.

Reactions: undisclosed

Alexn

May 15, 2020
Portugal
Category........
FAM
I sent 3 letters, none of them notarised. I just made sure all letters had name, address and at leasts two forms of contact of the person who wrote them. This way they can check and contact them if needed :)