+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family class sponsorhip- I am clueless!

npierce

Jun 25, 2007
Hello there-

I am U.S. citizen married to a wonderful Canadian man. We have been married for a year and a half and together for over three years. We currently live in Chicago. We are planning on moving to the Calgary area eventually, but I am pretty dumbfounded by all the requirements I need to be able to live and work in Canada. The whole process seems very daunting. I have a few questions I hope someone would be willing to help me out with:

1. We were married in Grand Cayman, will that still be recognized by Canada?
2. Do I have to stay in the U.S. until our application is completed and approved?
3. Can my husband sponsor me while we still live in the U.S.?
4. Should we plan on waiting at least a year before I can work in Canada?
5. For those of you who have gone through this process, have you used an immigration lawyer? If so, was it helpful?
6. If we stay in the U.S. and have a child here, is that child technically a dual citizen of Canada and U.S.?

Thanks so much for any help- I am thoroughly confused!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

npierce said:
Hello there-

I am U.S. citizen married to a wonderful Canadian man. We have been married for a year and a half and together for over three years. We currently live in Chicago. We are planning on moving to the Calgary area eventually, but I am pretty dumbfounded by all the requirements I need to be able to live and work in Canada. The whole process seems very daunting. I have a few questions I hope someone would be willing to help me out with:

1. We were married in Grand Cayman, will that still be recognized by Canada?
2. Do I have to stay in the U.S. until our application is completed and approved?
3. Can my husband sponsor me while we still live in the U.S.?
4. Should we plan on waiting at least a year before I can work in Canada?
5. For those of you who have gone through this process, have you used an immigration lawyer? If so, was it helpful?
6. If we stay in the U.S. and have a child here, is that child technically a dual citizen of Canada and U.S.?

Thanks so much for any help- I am thoroughly confused!
1. Yes, as long as you met the requirements for marriage in the Caymans.
2. No.
3. As he is a Canadian he can sponsor you while residing in the US, he must include a statement with the sponsorship to Mississauga that once you are issued the COPR he will be returning to Canada. It should outline your plans for accommodation work etc.
4. If you start processing the application about 1 year prior to going Canada (the medical is valid for a year) you should have your COPR in about 3-16 months from Buffalo. YOu can start working the day you "land"
5. Unless you cannot follow instructions precisely or their is a criminal record, then you probably don't need a lawyer.
6. The child would be a dual citizen.

PMM