+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Failed to keep a travel log

Lacklustre

Aug 17, 2009
My PR card has just expired and when I went to renew it, I noticed the question regarding visits outside of Canada. I honestly never gave any thought to tracking visits so this seems to be a problem with filling in the application. I am a US citizen and own a house in Buffalo. In the last five years i've probably spent maybe 25 days outside Canada. I'm well insude any residency requirement but I can't give dates. How do I explain this on the form?

Any advice (other than the obvious to keep a log going forward!) would be greatfully appreciated

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Try the following CBP website
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

Click View Travel History. I believe there are a couple of websites like this, but it's the first one I've found. It will show you customs data on every time you crossed the border into the US, they'll have your dates for you.

Lacklustre

Aug 17, 2009
Thanks, I had tried that site but it tells me there is no record of my trips. It is based on passport number and i used Nexus, not sure if that makes a difference? I suppose if they don't have a record, then they can't prove me wrong!

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
They will surely have a record of your crossings. I would recommend you to request for a copy of your crossing data from either CBP or Nexus, I am sure you can get what you're looking for. I would not recommend you make dates up and hope for the best as the US and Canada share this information and it would be incredibly easy for them to check.

Lacklustre

Aug 17, 2009
I tried to find the Canadian equivalent, and stumbled on this

Applying for a Permanent Resident card

If you are renewing or applying for a Permanent Resident Card you do not need to request your Traveller History Report from the CBSA. Checking "Yes" on page 3, Question 23 (section E) of the application form allows IRCC to collect the report on your behalf.

I think I am good to go !

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
They will surely have a record of your crossings. I would recommend you to request for a copy of your crossing data from either CBP or Nexus, I am sure you can get what you're looking for. I would not recommend you make dates up and hope for the best as the US and Canada share this information and it would be incredibly easy for them to check.
OP is a US citizen and therefore would not be issued I94.