+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Failed To Appear For Jury Service

Winnipeg-mb

Aug 15, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello
I am not citizen YET waiting in Canada's famous long RQ line for judge hearing. I am not in Canada right now. I just got/informed by reletive [who's getting my mail] about "notice to appear for jury service" yesterday it was issue on 09/ 13/2013. I even missed 7 day notice to call jury clerk for Exemptions.
-->What should I do now?
--> What is PR card holder obligation on this matter?
Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your mail guy is not doing a very good job missing an important letter for over a month. As a PR, you are generally not allowed to serve on a jury as far as I know. Most likely, you just would have had to x that you are not a citizen and send the thing back. Get your relative to forward you the letter as soon as possible, fill it out and send it back to the court. Include a letter of apology for not returning it sooner, saying that you are overseas and you filled it out and returned it first chance you got.

Winnipeg-mb

Aug 15, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Your mail guy is not doing a very good job missing an important letter for over a month. As a PR, you are generally not allowed to serve on a jury as far as I know. Most likely, you just would have had to x that you are not a citizen and send the thing back. Get your relative to forward you the letter as soon as possible, fill it out and send it back to the court. Include a letter of apology for not returning it sooner, saying that you are overseas and you filled it out and returned it first chance you got.
Thanks Leon for quick reply,
Notice doesn't have any form or any thing. it just plain notice to show up on certain date for jury selection. This is second time I got this, first was a year ago.
--> Do you think its a mistake on their side?
--> What do I do?
Thanks again Leon.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So what did you do a year ago?

From what I can tell, the courts usually send your a questionnaire first to see if you are eligible and if you do not return it, you can be fined.

If you got a letter with an address on it, you could at least write a letter to that address to apologize for not showing up.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Winnipeg-mb said:
Notice doesn't have any form or any thing. it just plain notice to show up on certain date for jury selection. This is second time I got this, first was a year ago.
--> What do I do?
Thanks again Leon.
Its unusual for you to be sent this when not a citizen..either:

1. Someone with the same name and address as you is a citizen.
2. Someone mistakenly recorded you as a citizen e.g. census time.
3. You mistakenly recorded yourself as a citizen e.g. census time.

Write to the address as per Leon - include a copy of your PR card and COPR/IMM1000 as proof you are not a citizen so you are removed from the juror list.

Winnipeg-mb

Aug 15, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
So what did you do a year ago?

From what I can tell, the courts usually send your a questionnaire first to see if you are eligible and if you do not return it, you can be fined.

If you got a letter with an address on it, you could at least write a letter to that address to apologize for not showing up.
Msafiri said:
Its unusual for you to be sent this when not a citizen..either:

1. Someone with the same name and address as you is a citizen.
2. Someone mistakenly recorded you as a citizen e.g. census time.
3. You mistakenly recorded yourself as a citizen e.g. census time.

Write to the address as per Leon - include a copy of your PR card and COPR/IMM1000 as poof you are not a citizen so you are removed from the juror list.
Thanks you both Leon and Msafiri,
I never got any questionnaire or form to filled out my info. Last time I was on 7 day time frame so I called Jury Clerk and explained everything. I am going to take your advise and write them a letter with my PR card copy.
Thanks very much for advise

touché

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg-mb said:
--> What do I do?
Thanks again Leon.
I received a notice for jury duty earlier this year and I am also not yet a citizen (PR only). The notice had a section for providing reasons why you could not serve on the jury. I filled that section with 'Not a Canadian citizen' and mailed it back. I received an acknowledgement letter stating I have been relieved of the jury duty.

As advised earlier, send them a letter clearly stating your current status.