Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
December 2012
Hi everyone, I applied for citizenship for myself, my wife and child (8 years old) in December 2017 together (application sent in 1 envelope) and at the 1st written citizenship test, I passed the test but my wife failed the test. The CIC official during our interview after the test told us that my wife will get a letter in 4 to 8 weeks to appear for the citizenship test again and also requested some additional documents (document translation) from both of us in-relation to our expired passports. I had submitted the additional documents they requested and recently my status changed to "Decision Made" and my wife appeared for the citizenship test and failed the test the second time as well (14/20).

According to the information mentioned on CIC's website is "If you do not pass the second test, we will send you a notice telling you to appear for a hearing with a citizenship officer. During this hearing, the citizenship officer may assess whether you meet all the requirements for citizenship. During an oral interview, the citizenship officer may:
  • test your knowledge of Canada and the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship;
  • ask questions about your residency in Canada; and/or
  • assess if you have adequate knowledge of English or French."
I have 2 questions and would appreciate your inputs:
(1) what happens to my application and my child's application in this scenario?
(2) Does anyone have any experience in this situation with a hearing with a citizenship officer and what to expect?
Thank you for your help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi everyone, I applied for citizenship for myself, my wife and child (8 years old) in December 2017 together (application sent in 1 envelope) and at the 1st written citizenship test, I passed the test but my wife failed the test. The CIC official during our interview after the test told us that my wife will get a letter in 4 to 8 weeks to appear for the citizenship test again and also requested some additional documents (document translation) from both of us in-relation to our expired passports. I had submitted the additional documents they requested and recently my status changed to "Decision Made" and my wife appeared for the citizenship test and failed the test the second time as well (14/20).

According to the information mentioned on CIC's website is "If you do not pass the second test, we will send you a notice telling you to appear for a hearing with a citizenship officer. During this hearing, the citizenship officer may assess whether you meet all the requirements for citizenship. During an oral interview, the citizenship officer may:
  • test your knowledge of Canada and the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship;
(2) Does anyone have any experience in this situation with a hearing with a citizenship officer and what to expect?
Thank you for your help.
1. If you submitted your applications as a family, then you and your daughter will not get your citizenship until your spouse is approved, Unless IRCC decides to separate the applications.. That is why I recommend that family's don't apply together. Although they won't have (usually) the same test date or oath date.

What happens to my family’s applications for citizenship if there is a problem with one of our applications?
You and your family can apply for citizenship together by including your applications in one envelope. Your applications will be processed together. If one or more of the applications are missing necessary information or documents, all of the applications in the envelope will be returned.

If we receive the necessary information and documents, applicants 18 to 54 years of age when they signed their application will be invited to write the citizenship test.

After the test, you or a family member may be asked to:

If this happens, we may process the other family members’ applications separately. This process might mean that they will attend an earlier citizenship ceremony and become citizens faster than the one re-writing the test or attending the interview.

We will tell you before we process your family’s applications separately. We will also send you a form that you can use to ask us to process the applications together. If you want the applications processed together, we will pause the other family members’ applications until after the second test or interview.

If citizenship is then granted after the second test/interview, all family members will attend the same ceremony.

What happens after the hearing with a citizenship officer to test my knowledge of Canada?
The hearing will last 30 to 90 minutes. At the hearing, the citizenship officer will ask you questions orally to see if you meet the conditions of citizenship, including knowledge of Canada. After your hearing, we will send you a letter with the results.

If you passed the interview, the letter will tell you the date of your citizenship ceremony.

Not passing the interview will cause your application for citizenship to be refused.

Wicked Blues

Mar 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
December 2012
Hi

1. If you submitted your applications as a family, then you and your daughter will not get your citizenship until your spouse is approved, Unless IRCC decides to separate the applications.. That is why I recommend that family's don't apply together. Although they won't have (usually) the same test date or oath date.

What happens to my family’s applications for citizenship if there is a problem with one of our applications?
You and your family can apply for citizenship together by including your applications in one envelope. Your applications will be processed together. If one or more of the applications are missing necessary information or documents, all of the applications in the envelope will be returned.

If we receive the necessary information and documents, applicants 18 to 54 years of age when they signed their application will be invited to write the citizenship test.

After the test, you or a family member may be asked to:

If this happens, we may process the other family members’ applications separately. This process might mean that they will attend an earlier citizenship ceremony and become citizens faster than the one re-writing the test or attending the interview.

We will tell you before we process your family’s applications separately. We will also send you a form that you can use to ask us to process the applications together. If you want the applications processed together, we will pause the other family members’ applications until after the second test or interview.

If citizenship is then granted after the second test/interview, all family members will attend the same ceremony.

What happens after the hearing with a citizenship officer to test my knowledge of Canada?
The hearing will last 30 to 90 minutes. At the hearing, the citizenship officer will ask you questions orally to see if you meet the conditions of citizenship, including knowledge of Canada. After your hearing, we will send you a letter with the results.

If you passed the interview, the letter will tell you the date of your citizenship ceremony.

Not passing the interview will cause your application for citizenship to be refused.

Thank you so much for your detailed input :)

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016

Thank you for your help.
Any updates ?

Reactions: Little Yellow

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Yes same here my wife has failed twice what happen about your case?can u share me plz your experience?
The second time was online, or with an officer? Before the pandemic it was two in-person tests and one with officer, but during the pandemic they seem to do one online test and then with an officer. I am not sure what happens if you fail the test with an officer, though. I couldn't find official info on this.

Reactions: Doyin alex