July/15/10
Passport Req..
April/14/11
VISA ISSUED...
May/17/11
LANDED..........
May/25/11
Hi all need some advice,

My niece is about to start her 4th and final semester in her 2 year paralegal program at Durham college.

She failed a course in 3rd semester, she was told she cannot retake this course until sep 2024, my question is what will happen now thar student permit will expire in July and if she takes just this one course in September there will be a big gap from july to september and she would not be fulltime anymore.

Can someone please advise me here on what my options are? I am just worried she will lose her status because of this and not be able to graduate in time and apply cot pgwp.

Thanks,

Gary

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all need some advice,

My niece is about to start her 4th and final semester in her 2 year paralegal program at Durham college.

She failed a course in 3rd semester, she was told she cannot retake this course until sep 2024, my question is what will happen now thar student permit will expire in July and if she takes just this one course in September there will be a big gap from july to september and she would not be fulltime anymore.

Can someone please advise me here on what my options are? I am just worried she will lose her status because of this and not be able to graduate in time and apply cot pgwp.

Thanks,

Gary
She needs to extend her study permit. As for PGWP, she may be okay if only last semester is part time. She will only know once PGWP is approved.

garytheoiler

Jun 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec/13/10 App. Rec.........: Dec/15/10
AOR Received.
Feb/01/11
File Transfer...
Jan/17/11
Med's Done....
July/15/10
Passport Req..
April/14/11
VISA ISSUED...
May/17/11
LANDED..........
May/25/11
She needs to extend her study permit. As for PGWP, she may be okay if only last semester is part time. She will only know once PGWP is approved.
Thanks for your response, I guess this means she cannot graduate in at the right time now right? There is no way she can take this course at another college?

Gary

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your response, I guess this means she cannot graduate in at the right time now right? There is no way she can take this course at another college?

Gary
If she failed a course, then she has to wait and graduate when she has passed the course. Can’t just take another course at another college. She needs the college’s approval to take the exact same course at another school and then still get her diploma. Or she looks at transferring and see if new college will accept all her credits.

garytheoiler

Jun 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Feb/01/11
File Transfer...
Jan/17/11
Med's Done....
July/15/10
Passport Req..
April/14/11
VISA ISSUED...
May/17/11
LANDED..........
May/25/11
Will the extention be accepted even if it is for 1 course with a huge gap from april to september? She was going to be done this April, now she has to wait to take one course in September 2024 which is so ridiculous, And the price she will pay is just for the 1 course right? I hope they won't ask her to pay another 8k for semester.

Thanks for everyone's support on this thread.

Gary

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Will the extention be accepted even if it is for 1 course with a huge gap from april to september? She was going to be done this April, now she has to wait to take one course in September 2024 which is so ridiculous, And the price she will pay is just for the 1 course right? I hope they won't ask her to pay another 8k for semester.

Thanks for everyone's support on this thread.

Gary
I assume the extension will be accepted if she shows course registration. She has to talk to the school about how much the course costs.

garytheoiler

Jun 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Feb/01/11
File Transfer...
Jan/17/11
Med's Done....
July/15/10
Passport Req..
April/14/11
VISA ISSUED...
May/17/11
LANDED..........
May/25/11
One more question for whom ever wants to answer, to extend her study permit, how much funds must she prove to have in bank account? I heard it was raised, but is this for extentions as well?

Gary

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
One more question for whom ever wants to answer, to extend her study permit, how much funds must she prove to have in bank account? I heard it was raised, but is this for extentions as well?

Gary
It has been raised to $20k plus tuition. Given there is such a gap between courses, she will want to show as much cash as possible for living expenses.