+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"External Security Review" is holding my Citizenship Oath.

victorian

Jun 15, 2015
Hi,

I had a RQ before my citizenship test in January 2014. I had fulfilled all requirements for RQ. Then I was invited to write citizenship test in January 2014. Today I got a call from CIC that my file is under "External Security Review". Yes, I did some work related travelling before my citizenship test (that I had passed). How long it normally takes to complete "External Security Review"?

Please share your experiences. Much appreciated.

Victorian

h3a3j6

Mar 31, 2014
Montréal
An interesting case!

Just out of curiosity, how did you know it was the CIC? Did they ask you for personal information, etc?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
victorian said:
Hi,

I had a RQ before my citizenship test in January 2014. I had fulfilled all requirements for RQ. Then I was invited to write citizenship test in January 2014. Today I got a call from CIC that my file is under "External Security Review". Yes, I did some work related travelling before my citizenship test (that I had passed). How long it normally takes to complete "External Security Review"?

Please share your experiences. Much appreciated.

Victorian
Seems like a CSIS/Intelligence type check - as such all bets are off and there is no timeline on this. Not much you can do other than wait - the actual issue with applicants in your position is that your other checks (immigration/criminal) tend to expire out of sequence with the security check so you end up in a scenario where you don't have all 3 checks concluded and are in a never ending loop.

victorian

Jun 15, 2015
h3a3j6 said:
An interesting case!

Just out of curiosity, how did you know it was the CIC? Did they ask you for personal information, etc?
Yes, they called and asked for some conformation about my file.

longwaitwithrq

Star Member
May 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
victorian said:
Yes, they called and asked for some conformation about my file.
request your Atip to get a clearer picture as to what clearance is pending, most likely it would be your csis clearance, even though the csis clearance information is blanked out the Atip will clealry indicate that the same has been requested from the relevant security agency, in that case unless there are some issues you are on course for your oath ceremony as csis clearance request should mean that your case is almost on the verge of being decided.

Mehwish9

Star Member
Apr 2, 2009
Be careful, sometime some fraud people phone and show themselves as CIC or US embassy and will hack your details. I had personal experience of such calls. they sounds very real but they are fake. I use to report such fake calls to CIC at once.

victorian

Jun 15, 2015
longwaitwithrq said:
request your Atip to get a clearer picture as to what clearance is pending, most likely it would be your csis clearance, even though the csis clearance information is blanked out the Atip will clealry indicate that the same has been requested from the relevant security agency, in that case unless there are some issues you are on course for your oath ceremony as csis clearance request should mean that your case is almost on the verge of being decided.

Thank you for input. Where to get get ATIP? Do you think CSIS takes longer time? I submitted my RQ in Fall 2013. Test was written January 2014. What do you mean by "in that case unless there are some issues"? Sorry I am little dumb on this issue. Yes, i did travel frequently for work after getting PR.

victorian

Jun 15, 2015
Mehwish9 said:
Be careful, sometime some fraud people phone and show themselves as CIC or US embassy and will hack your details. I had personal experience of such calls. they sounds very real but they are fake. I use to report such fake calls to CIC at once.
Thank you dear. that was a wonderful tip.