+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extent my stay

takz

Star Member
May 28, 2015
Hey all;

I've applied for pr and open work permit bavk in February 2018 and I did not hear anything so far from CIC.
My 6 month period will be finished on june and I want to exrebt my stay here at least for next 6 month to recieve my PR.
I wonder does CIC need an detailed reasons for this extent or just telling them that I am on PR process would be enough?

Another question is, after my extent get approved and if I decide to go back to home country and wait my process there, is it ok? I dont want, CIC questioning me later.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hey all;

I've applied for pr and open work permit bavk in February 2018 and I did not hear anything so far from CIC.
My 6 month period will be finished on june and I want to exrebt my stay here at least for next 6 month to recieve my PR.
I wonder does CIC need an detailed reasons for this extent or just telling them that I am on PR process would be enough?

Another question is, after my extent get approved and if I decide to go back to home country and wait my process there, is it ok? I dont want, CIC questioning me later.
It you are being sponsored via the "inland" process, which is the only way to apply for an OWP, you don't need to extend your status if the OWP application was submitted while you had valid status. See "implied status".
If you leave Canada for any significant length of time while an "inland" sponsorship application is in progress, your application will be cancelled as "abandoned", as you would no longer be eligible.

takz

Star Member
May 28, 2015
It you are being sponsored via the "inland" process, which is the only way to apply for an OWP, you don't need to extend your status if the OWP application was submitted while you had valid status. See "implied status".
If you leave Canada for any significant length of time while an "inland" sponsorship application is in progress, your application will be cancelled as "abandoned", as you would no longer be eligible.
Omg I did not know that at all, so what should I do after 6 months to stay as legal status here.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Hi there, read what the pre ious poster told you: your legal status will be ok because when yiu apply for OWP yiu have implied status, that means you have legal status until a decision is made.

But the main thing here I think is the fact that you haven't heard from cic since applying ? Is that so ?
But did you get an email form them saying they received your application ??

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Also, although it ismtrue that you are supposed to remain in Canada while application in process, once yiu get yiur work permit, which should be arriving around 3 months after you apply, you can travel out and back for a reasonable period of time.

takz

Star Member
May 28, 2015
Hi there, read what the pre ious poster told you: your legal status will be ok because when yiu apply for OWP yiu have implied status, that means you have legal status until a decision is made.
But the main thing here I think is the fact that you haven't heard from cic since applying ? Is that so ?
But did you get an email form them saying they received your application ??
Yes, I recieved the recieval email from CIC back in February and didnot hear from them after.

End of june my 6 month period will be completed and I'm not sure what should I do now to be in legal status after that. Can you please tell me where can I have accurate information about it?

takz

Star Member
May 28, 2015
Thank you, Where can I find this time limit?

takz

Star Member
May 28, 2015
I just found the link about extending my stay in canada and I shared below :

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=248&top=28

Correct me if I'm wrong please. From what I understand by reading that. I have the right to leave the country as far as I meet all the admissibility rules, which is having a valid visitor visa in my case and I granted with multiple entry visitor visa till 2028.

So,visiting my family for 2 months would not make a problem I belive.right?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you, Where can I find this time limit?
Two to three weeks is considered a reasonable maximum amount of time. That is a "visit". More than that is likely to be considered as taking up residence. For inland sponsorship you MUST be residing with the sponsor. Two months is definitely likely to be a problem.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
It's better to wait for your work permit to arrive before traveling.

The first thing to do is call the cic centre to see what's up, and then go from there.

I don't know when are planning to travel, but if in the meantime they request police checks or other docs it could be a problem.
It's better to plan yiur activities depending onwhere yiur application is at the moment.

Call them and let us know what's up.

takz

Star Member
May 28, 2015
It's better to wait for your work permit to arrive before traveling.

The first thing to do is call the cic centre to see what's up, and then go from there.

I don't know when are planning to travel, but if in the meantime they request police checks or other docs it could be a problem.
It's better to plan yiur activities depending onwhere yiur application is at the moment.

Call them and let us know what's up.
This what exactly I did but unfortunatrly its impossible to talk with a real person. machine directs you ,which informed me about very general issues.
any idea?

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Did you call 1st thing in the morning . Like 7:59am ? Choose the options yiu need and then when the machine is talking press 0 zero. It should direct you to an agent. Be preared for wait times of course.

Also, did you check your status online ? Have you linked your account online ?

takz

Star Member
May 28, 2015
Did you call 1st thing in the morning . Like 7:59am ? Choose the options yiu need and then when the machine is talking press 0 zero. It should direct you to an agent. Be preared for wait times of course.

Also, did you check your status online ? Have you linked your account online ?
yes I checking it regularly and its says ``under process`` and nothing change since I linked my applications ( OWP and PR) online.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Ok so try calling pressing zero after you chose your option, in order to get an agent.
But in any case if you applied in Feb the timeline is not that bad. It also depends on the country you're from and the case.

Did you have a valid status at the time you applied ?