+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of Work Permit

shangi

Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there..really need an advice!

My work permit will expire this November 2010. I wasn't given an exact length of stay because my passport will expire this December 02, 2010. Now, I want to ask for an extension of my work permit since I was able to renew my passport in my country of origin when I had my vacation last April.
Here are my questions:
1. When is the right time for me to apply for an extension? Can I apply this August? (pls. note that my wp will expire on November 30 this year)
2. I have read the requirements in the cic website but I'm a bit confused on the LMO thing. I am still working with my present employer and was told that they would still hire me. Do I need to get another LMO or just the original one? (pls. note that I am not changing my employer)
3. There is this question in the application form about " I want to extend my stay in Canada until..." what will be the basis for this? I understand that a work permit has a validity of 39 months or depending on the passport's expiration. Is it 39 months from the date of my first entry or the date on my LMO? My first entry was Feb 9, 2009 and the date on my LMO was August 14, 2008. If I will extend my stay in Canada, is it up to May 9, 2012 0r November 14, 2011?

Please help me out...Thank you and God bless!!!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
shangi said:

My work permit will expire this November 2010. I wasn't given an exact length of stay because my passport will expire this December 02, 2010. Now, I want to ask for an extension of my work permit since I was able to renew my passport in my country of origin when I had my vacation last April.
Here are my questions:
1. When is the right time for me to apply for an extension? Can I apply this August? (pls. note that my wp will expire on November 30 this year)
2. I have read the requirements in the cic website but I'm a bit confused on the LMO thing. I am still working with my present employer and was told that they would still hire me. Do I need to get another LMO or just the original one? (pls. note that I am not changing my employer)
3. There is this question in the application form about " I want to extend my stay in Canada until..." what will be the basis for this? I understand that a work permit has a validity of 39 months or depending on the passport's expiration. Is it 39 months from the date of my first entry or the date on my LMO? My first entry was Feb 9, 2009 and the date on my LMO was August 14, 2008. If I will extend my stay in Canada, is it up to May 9, 2012 0r November 14, 2011?

Hi,

Are you finally back in Canada? You don't need a new LMO if you are working for the same employer and you are working as a live in caregiver.

1. Yes. It takes 61 days (more than 2 months) to process WP for same employer.
2. No need for a new LMO but may need new contract.
3. The length of the new contract will dictate your response to this question. (Two years if you're being hired for another two years)

loida86

Star Member
Apr 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shangi said:

Here are my questions:

hi shangi,

we have d same situation. my employer wil renew our contract this August, but my WP expires on January 2011. Iplan to apply for PR on Oct or Nov, and I read from the guideline that if d caregiiver shall still work for the same employer, wp doesnt have to be renewed but could apply for OWP. I originally planned to do that. But after going thru my documents, i found out that my SIN and health card are both concurrent with the expiration of my old passport (i renewed it last Dec) and WP. So, i am thinking of renewing my WP since it will take 6-7 months before d OWP is issued.

Could anyone in the forum advised us the best thing to do? For those whohave successfully applied for PR, what did you do when your SIN and health card expire while your PR was still under processing?

Thanks a lot!

edong

Jan 4, 2011
Hi guys,

Were you able to extend your work permits? I am currently on these situation, MY WP will end May 2011, I am a foreign worker and is still on the same employer though I am not a caregiver.

Also I just applied for my PR through FSW2 and just received my 1st AOR DEc17,2011.

Please any expert advice would be appreciated.