+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of Visitor Visa Record

prcanada

Star Member
Oct 28, 2009
Hi All,

My parents Visitor visa 6 months validity is expiring. We went to the USA and returned after 24 hours, but the border officer did not extend and asked us to apply online. He mentioned that the reason of 'extending stay to stay with kids' is not good enough

What reason can my parents give on the online application to guarantee an extension of the 6 months?

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All,

My parents Visitor visa 6 months validity is expiring. We went to the USA and returned after 24 hours, but the border officer did not extend and asked us to apply online. He mentioned that the reason of 'extending stay to stay with kids' is not good enough

What reason can my parents give on the online application to guarantee an extension of the 6 months?

Thanks
Did they receive a Visitor Record or a stamp in their passport when they entered from the US trip?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No nothing.
I requested but didnt get
Then they have 6 months from the new entry. If CBSA wanted to limit them to the original stay, they needed to either issue a VR stating that or write the date with the passport stamp.

prcanada

Star Member
Oct 28, 2009
If you are a citizen of a country or territory that requires a temporary resident visa (TRV) or an eTA to travel to Canada, you will also need to be in possession of a valid entry visa or an eTA to return, unless:

• you are returning to Canada following a visit only to the United States or St-Pierre and Miquelon; and
  • you return before the expiry of the period initially authorized for your entry or any extension to it, either as a visitor, student or worker.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you are a citizen of a country or territory that requires a temporary resident visa (TRV) or an eTA to travel to Canada, you will also need to be in possession of a valid entry visa or an eTA to return, unless:

• you are returning to Canada following a visit only to the United States or St-Pierre and Miquelon; and
  • you return before the expiry of the period initially authorized for your entry or any extension to it, either as a visitor, student or worker.
That refers to coming to Canada with an expired TRV. It does not refer to visitor status in Canada, which is the topic of the thread.

prcanada

Star Member
Oct 28, 2009
Hmm..
But the office kept saying that you would have to apply online to extend your visitor record. He said I cannot extend as the reason is not enough.
So I thought the trip to USA and reenter is not valid

That refers to coming to Canada with an expired TRV. It does not refer to visitor status in Canada, which is the topic of the thread.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12