AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
My mother is in Canada on supervise. On her arrival she got stamped for a year rather than 2 year. She wants to stay another 3-4 months after 1 year status expires. What is the process to extend her stay?

nanaykopo

Star Member
Apr 24, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Apply – Extend your stay
1. Determine how you will apply
There are two ways you can apply:

Apply online

To apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment. Determine your eligibility and apply online.

Apply on paper

Please follow steps 2 to 4 below.

2. Get the application package
The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Download the application package.

Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. The fee for processing your form is not refundable, so make sure you are eligible to extend your stay before you apply.

The application form contains instructions. Read those instructions, and be sure to provide the required documents. If information or documents are missing, your application may be delayed.

Make sure you explain why you want to extend your visit in Canada. Collect all the documents you need. See the Application Guide for more information.

3. Pay your application fees
The fee is $75.

The fee is payable in Canadian funds only.

To pay your fees online, you must:

have a PDF Reader;
have a printer;
have a valid email address;
pay with a Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express® credit card;
print the “receipt of payment” page and include it with your application; and
pay your fees online when you are ready.
To pay your fees at a financial institution in Canada, you must:

Obtain an original payment receipt form (IMM 5401). Order it online or contact the Call Centre.
Fill the receipt form and bring it with you when you go to pay your fees.
Include the completed payment receipt form (IMM 5401) with your application.
For more detailed instructions, read the “Paying the Fees” section of the application guide.

4. Submit your application
Submit your completed application to the address given in the application package. Make sure you include the fee receipt and all the necessary documents.

Processing times

You can find information on how long it will take to process your application.

If you submitted your application to an office outside Canada, please note that the Call Centre does not have information about your application.

If you submitted your application to an office inside Canada and if it has been longer than the time shown since you applied, please contact the Call Centre. Call Centre agents cannot speed up the process of your application or make decisions on your case.

it's on the CIC website.. just search super visa extend stay

twiggy

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
Excuse my ignorance here but what is the purpose of having a super visa with a supposed maximum stay of 2yrs only to be stamped by CBSA for 1 year? then if you decided to stay longer, you pay a new few for an extension? Seems to me this is cash grabbing.

I thought the whole idea of the super visa was to allow parents stay longer and am sure someone is going to say the validity of your stay depends on your return ticket etc. but i doubt there is any airline return ticket policy out there longer than a year then you wonder, why did the government say the super visa can have up to maximum two years stay? ???

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
twiggy said:
Excuse my ignorance here but what is the purpose of having a super visa with a supposed maximum stay of 2yrs only to be stamped by CBSA for 1 year? then if you decided to stay longer, you pay a new few for an extension? Seems to me this is cash grabbing.

I thought the whole idea of the super visa was to allow parents stay longer and am sure someone is going to say the validity of your stay depends on your return ticket etc. but i doubt there is any airline return ticket policy out there longer than a year then you wonder, why did the government say the super visa can have up to maximum two years stay? ???
Some only got 6 months - stupid system, yes

From what I have seen is that, if officer doesnt see meds in system, he is unlikely to stamp for 2 years

But if you read it carefully, it says "applicant to remain in Canada for up to 24 months at a time without the need for renewal of their status"

So the ultimate authority is the officer who will stamp this

twiggy

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
Its totally ridiculous after going through all the stress and medical, all you get is 6months. I guess a regular visitor visa with an extension inland will suffice

xaideez

Apr 1, 2012
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Hi Guys

I've a question : My parents got super visa for 3 and 4 years respectively. Do they need to buy return ticket or they can come on one way. The reason is maximum allowable stay on super visa is 2 years and no ticket is valid more than a year.

Please reply asap.

Thanks
Xaideez

Gary Goldshmidt

Dec 4, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have client who have faced this situation and it is totally stupid. The visa officer needs to see a return plane ticket the problem is with a super visa people stay for two years however the maximum time the airline will allow the plane ticket to be used is one year. I recommend that you check to make sure you can get a refund on the return airfare. This is where the requirements of Citizenship and Immigration Canada detach from the reality of the marketplace.

I am an insurance broker so this is nothing new to me, I have had client calling me with the same question.

ismailkevin

Nov 27, 2013
hi guys, my seniors went back to home country after 2yrs of stay on super visa. now they wanted to come back. do they have to go with all paper submissions again from zero or they just need to submit their new passports to get new super visa stamp. what will be the duration of next visa stamp again 2yrs or it could be till the passport expiry?
thanks for your prompt feedback

ismailkevin

Nov 27, 2013
ismailkevin said:
hi guys, my seniors went back to home country after 2yrs of stay on super visa. now they wanted to come back. do they have to go with all paper submissions again from zero or they just need to submit their new passports to get new super visa stamp. what will be the duration of next visa stamp again 2yrs or it could be till the passport expiry?
thanks for your prompt feedback
apology im bumping my post here as well im not getting any feedback of above quoted scenario

twiggy

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
Is their super visa still valid? if so all the need is just to return to Canada but remember they must still satisfy the CBSA officer they will be returning at the end of their visit. The duration of the visit will be determined at the point of entry i.e. max 2yrs or less

good luck !!!

ismailkevin

Nov 27, 2013
twiggy said:
Is their super visa still valid? if so all the need is just to return to Canada but remember they must still satisfy the CBSA officer they will be returning at the end of their visit. The duration of the visit will be determined at the point of entry i.e. max 2yrs or less

good luck !!!
super visa stamp/sticker on passport was of 2yrs only which had been already expired?

twiggy

Star Member
Jun 20, 2012
how long was their Visa issued for? a visa has a validity which will determine if they can still enter Canada on the same visa.

The stamp is for their previous permitted duration so assuming their visa valid for X amount of years, they will get a new stamp (permitted duration) on their passport

good luck !!!

ismailkevin

Nov 27, 2013
twiggy said:
how long was their Visa issued for? a visa has a validity which will determine if they can still enter Canada on the same visa.

The stamp is for their previous permitted duration so assuming their visa valid for X amount of years, they will get a new stamp (permitted duration) on their passport

good luck !!!
thanks man will chk papers and should any question comes up will post it down here. appreciate your help

kkim604

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Korea
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
inconsistency between different CBSA officers is just mind ....

I sponsored in-law father/mother.
They got approved and got 1 year visa(exp Dec 2013), renewable until 2022, when they landed.
Last months I went to US trip with my wife and father.
on the drive back to Canada, CBSA officer at the booth, advised that we stop by the office and get father's visa extended if he wants to stay longer.
so we went into the office, and another officer stamped father's passport with 2 years extension, just like that.
he asked, how many years would we like? ummm... 2 year? he went to the office to look up some stuff and came back within 15min with 2 year stamp.
We were like.. dang that was easy.

so today, we drove to US again, with both mother and father.
on the way back we went into the office, thinking same 2 years no problem right?

nope
this time when we ask for extension to the officer in the office, looked at us like are you crazy?
officer said this is not how it's done.

we showed all the papers showing they are approved for super visa
but officer came back saying there is no record of super visa under their names?????
Officer gave mother 1 year extension saying maximum is 2 years and since she stayed for one year, another year is all she can do.
On top of that, officer said previous officer who granted 2 years extension, is completely wrong. she took father's passport and wrote X on top of 2015 and put 2014 next to it....

She said, to extend super visa, we must send extension application to immigration, and they'll decide how long they can stay.
two officers said we get extension at the office, next month, another officer says no no that's wrong?
This is immigration we are talking about here, it's serious business yet rules are so unclear, different officers follow different rules?

I look through CIC website, but there is no clear black/white answer.
There is general how to extend visitor visa, which seems to be for regular visitor visa extension not super visa. also, they require to submit all the papers we already submitted when we applied for supervisa.
Why would they give renewal approval for 10 years yet you have to go through same process every two years? That's ridiculous.

toronto30

May 14, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Parents
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/2009
Doc's Request.
03/2013
File Transfer...
07/30/2013
Med's Request
04 MAR 2015
Med's Done....
May 7, 2015
Interview........
ECAS: Started processing Feb 12, 2015
Passport Req..
August 5, 2015.
VISA ISSUED...
10 August 2015
LANDED..........
24 August 2015
kkim604 said:
inconsistency between different CBSA officers is just mind ....

I sponsored in-law father/mother.
They got approved and got 1 year visa(exp Dec 2013), renewable until 2022, when they landed.
Last months I went to US trip with my wife and father.
on the drive back to Canada, CBSA officer at the booth, advised that we stop by the office and get father's visa extended if he wants to stay longer.
so we went into the office, and another officer stamped father's passport with 2 years extension, just like that.
he asked, how many years would we like? ummm... 2 year? he went to the office to look up some stuff and came back within 15min with 2 year stamp.
We were like.. dang that was easy.

so today, we drove to US again, with both mother and father.
on the way back we went into the office, thinking same 2 years no problem right?

nope
this time when we ask for extension to the officer in the office, looked at us like are you crazy?
officer said this is not how it's done.

we showed all the papers showing they are approved for super visa
but officer came back saying there is no record of super visa under their names?????
Officer gave mother 1 year extension saying maximum is 2 years and since she stayed for one year, another year is all she can do.
On top of that, officer said previous officer who granted 2 years extension, is completely wrong. she took father's passport and wrote X on top of 2015 and put 2014 next to it....

She said, to extend super visa, we must send extension application to immigration, and they'll decide how long they can stay.
two officers said we get extension at the office, next month, another officer says no no that's wrong?
This is immigration we are talking about here, it's serious business yet rules are so unclear, different officers follow different rules?

I look through CIC website, but there is no clear black/white answer.
There is general how to extend visitor visa, which seems to be for regular visitor visa extension not super visa. also, they require to submit all the papers we already submitted when we applied for supervisa.
Why would they give renewal approval for 10 years yet you have to go through same process every two years? That's ridiculous.
Hi kkim604
thank you for the post, very informative. my mother is also here on a visit visa and thinking about extending her stay sending an application end of february rather than crossing US border(she has US multiple visa). Thank you again.
TO30