+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of stay in Canada

siesta

Mar 26, 2009
Hello there! I am a Singaporean married to a Canadian born citizen and am planning on joining my hubby in Canada next month. Our wedding was registered and conducted according to laws in Singapore. I do not require a TVR or visa to enter Canada. As I am planning on a stay for 6 or more months, how do I go about applying for extension of stay in Canada? My hubby is working there. What is the correct procedure in approaching this matter? What documents/evidences are required to be submitted? Please advise on this matter. Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no procedure except 30 days before your visitor status expires, you need to send in a form to extend it. The processing of that takes 2-3 months and in between you have pending status even though your visa is expired because you have already sent in to extend.

Do you want to work or study in Canada? If you might be staying more than 6 months and actually want to be able to do something, it might be a good idea for your husband to sponsor you for PR (permanent residency). If you file an outland application (with you officially living in Singapore), it would be processed in Singapore and you would have your PR in 5 to 10 months. You would have to go to Singapore though if they want to interview you. Even if you and your husband decide not to live in Canada, you keep your PR as long as you are living with him.

siesta

Mar 26, 2009
Hi Leon
Thank u for ur reply. We have considered spouse sponsorship. However, I was told at the Canadian embassy office that I would hv to be in Singapore when my hubby applies for that on my behalf. I think it wld also take a certain amt of time.
In my case, I wld just like to enter Canada as a visitor and extend my stay for about 6 months. I work in Singapore and have taken a year off from work just to join my hubby for that period of time. My hubby will be joining me in Singapore after that as his PR is under processing in Singapore at the moment.
You mentioned that the extension of stay could take 2-3 mths to be processed and in the meantime the visitor status is pending. In that event, will I be able to remain in Canada when the status is pending?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do not have to be in Singapore for your husband to apply to sponsor you. You always have the right to have your file processed in your homeland, no matter where you are living. You should consider it. Even if your plan is to only stay for a year and you don't really have to work, if you were to get PR for example after 6 or 8 months, you could work a little if you wanted to and since you don't lose PR with a Canadian spouse, you never know when it could be good to have, say if he decided to go work in Canada again, but of course it's up to you. Another pro with the PR is that you would have health coverage which you don't get as a visitor.

While your status is pending waiting for visit visa extension, you can still stay in Canada.

siesta

Mar 26, 2009
Hi again,
Does it mean that my husband can sponsor me while i am visiting him in Canada? The information I received at the Canadian embassy in Singapore told me otherwise. What I was told was tht I have to remain in Singapore at the point of application of PR ( sponsor by my hubby ) and that I need to send him the application form which he would need to submit with the relevant documents at immigration in Canada. Please clarify.
As for the extension of stay as a visitor in Canada after 30 days, would they require me to attend an interview? Are there any documents that need to be submitted for the extension of stay?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, your husband can sponsor you while you are visiting him in Canada. You can fill out the applications together. You will need a police certificate from Singapore though but you can probably get one before you go.

You do not have to file a visit visa extension after 30 days but 30 days before your visit visa expires. Say you have a visit visa for 6 months, you would file extension after 5. You would not have to submit any documents for that except the filled out application form but if you want to prove that you have money etc. you can send something for that. It will help your case if your husband is making money in Canada and can support you.