+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of post graduate work permit procedure after passport renewal

aman1989

Aug 3, 2019
In this case you can either call cic or fill an application form available on the website. Calling them is a better way as they can provide an update quickly.
Hi,
I have applied for a post-graduation work permit extension because it expires early due to my passport's validity. It has been 4 months, and the application is still in process. My question is, I got married last week and if I update my marital status in my application then will it take more time to get the work permit??
Thanks.

aman1989

Aug 3, 2019
It takes approx. 32-34 working days to link your application online.
Hi,
I have applied for a post-graduation work permit extension because it expires early due to my passport's validity. It has been 4 months, and the application is still in process. My question is, I got married last week and if I update my marital status in my application then will it take more time to get the work permit??
Thanks.

Rajbir_kaur

Oct 12, 2019
I got approval today. I applied online and got 3 year of work permit. But i have problem, when i saw my status, the travel number mentioned there is wrong. The travel number on my passport started with U but they put I

tanzila11

Jul 14, 2016
Which checklist did you submit for the extension? IMM5583 (students applying for work permit) or IMM 5556 (worker)? Or are both okay to use?

Jdunchik

Star Member
Apr 11, 2017
Hello,

PGWP of my Daughter has Conditions

Conditions: Must leave Canada by 2020/05/xx

What does it mean? PGWP is for 33 months (because of passport expiry date). Is it possible to extend PGWP for 3 months with new passport?
Could anybody extend PGWP with above mentioned Conditions?

Thanks

William94

Dec 11, 2018
Hello,

PGWP of my Daughter has Conditions

Conditions: Must leave Canada by 2020/05/xx

What does it mean? PGWP is for 33 months (because of passport expiry date). Is it possible to extend PGWP for 3 months with new passport?
Could anybody extend PGWP with above mentioned Conditions?

Thanks
Most of the threads are for people who only got 1 year, and are supposed to have at least 2 or 3 years. 3 months seems a bit too short, it
would be better to apply for a whole new type of work permit not the post graduate.

basim refat

Apr 16, 2018
Hello all,

My PGWP is valid only for 21 months because of my passport expiry date. Now I got a new passport and I want to apply to extend my work permit. I read other threads regarding PGWP extension but I could not find a clear answer. I would be thankful if you help me with my questions.

1. Can you guys share your experience with PGWP extension and tell me how I have to apply (online or by mail), and how long the process would take? (Some people mentioned that their online application refused because for extension, they were supposed to apply by mail!!!)

2. On the remark section of my work permit, there is nothing but "POST GRADUATE WORK PERMIT". Should my permit contains any other remarks in order to be qualified for extension?

Thanks,
Hello beckham23, did you get the extension of your PGWP?

basim refat

Apr 16, 2018
Hi, you don't need a remark saying "... ISSUED TO PASSPORT VALIDITY" on tour PGWP. You could've applied online cuz it's faster(4 to 6 weeks). Some people will say you can't but actually you can do it but you have to follow the same steps as your initial PGWP.
I studied 2 years and received only one year of PGWP due to my passport validity. I applied online for an extension on 1st of April and still waiting.
Hello kimodz, did you get the extension of your PGWP?

kimodz

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
Hello kimodz, did you get the extension of your PGWP?
PGWP can be renewed only if they gave you less than 3 years due to passport expiry date and i'm assuming that you studied a program of one or more years. After you renew your passport you can apply online (same when as you did it first time) make sure to include a letter of explanation.

Reactions: basim refat

basim refat

Apr 16, 2018
PGWP can be renewed only if they gave you less than 3 years due to passport expiry date and i'm assuming that you studied a program of one or more years. After you renew your passport you can apply online (same when as you did it first time) make sure to include a letter of explanation.
Thank you so much kimodz, for your prompt reply, yes I did my Ph.D. here (about 3yrs and 6mo), I got only 2 yrs PGWP.
There is no remark on my PGWP. Should my permit contain remarks in order to be qualified for the extension?

Thanks,

kimodz

Star Member
Sep 3, 2014
Thank you so much kimodz, for your prompt reply, yes I did my Ph.D. here (about 3yrs and 6mo), I got only 2 yrs PGWP.
There is no remark on my PGWP. Should my permit contain remarks in order to be qualified for the extension?

Thanks,
I didn't have any remark about extinction on my old PGWP. I was in the same situation as you and I got my one year extension no problem. Good luck