+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of Open Work Permit for Spouse

upmanit

Star Member
Jul 19, 2015
Need Experts Advice here, My Work permit is expiring on 05th April and my company has already filed for Permit Extension. My Spouse Open Permit is expiring on 5th April as well and I have applied for her extension too based on receipt I got from IRCC for my extension. Can she continue to work after 5th April while my/her permit is in extension process.

abhishekool143

Star Member
Oct 4, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-11-2016
AOR Received.
29-11-2016
Med's Done....
Medical Passed 18th Jan
Passport Req..
13 Feb 2017
She can not work till she get her new Open Work Permit. But you should get her work permit by that time if that is an online application. I am afraid if the application is paper though.

bbjoshi

Jul 8, 2016
upmanit said:
Need Experts Advice here, My Work permit is expiring on 05th April and my company has already filed for Permit Extension. My Spouse Open Permit is expiring on 5th April as well and I have applied for her extension too based on receipt I got from IRCC for my extension. Can she continue to work after 5th April while my/her permit is in extension process.
she will be in implied status and can work until get her result

nrc1978

Sep 10, 2014
upmanit said:
Hi,

Yes both can work untill the decision of Work permit is made. And you both will be under Implied status post 05th April to the date decision is made.
As per the current timelines Online WP processing takes around 30 days whereas Paper based takes around 100 days.

Good luck

Cheers
Ravi

upmanit

Star Member
Jul 19, 2015
Thanks. Both of applications are online.One More question. Do we need to renew our health Cards as well as SIN post 05th April.

nrc1978

Sep 10, 2014
upmanit said:
Thanks. Both of applications are online.One More question. Do we need to renew our health Cards as well as SIN post 05th April.
Yes...you can renew OHIP and SIN with the new Work permits.

upmanit

Star Member
Jul 19, 2015
Its hypothetical question. What if her Work Permit doesnt come before 05th April. Do we need to renew SIN? Can we renew SIN for her based on the fact that we have filed for extension

nrc1978

Sep 10, 2014
upmanit said:
Its hypothetical question. What if her Work Permit doesnt come before 05th April. Do we need to renew SIN? Can we renew SIN for her based on the fact that we have filed for extension
No OHIP and SIN can be renewed only after receiving new Work permits.