+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

extension of Confirmation of Permanent Residence

Cypher

Feb 7, 2012
My wife had just received the COPR from the visa office in Seoul.
However, the COPR is only valid until the end of this year. Currently, she is 32 weeks pregnant; so she can't fly now. In addition, if we wait until the last few days before COPR expired; the baby will be just couple of months old, which personally I think is too young to fly.
Although, the visa office sent an information sheet along with COPR saying no extension of COPR is allowed, I would still like to try.
Has any extended their COPR before?
Any input is appreciated.

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
I dont know if they will extend it or not. usually they dont
but it doesnt hurt to call and ask them, explain your situation and problem. and see if there is anything they can do about it.
its worth a try

Cypher

Feb 7, 2012
thanks for the reply
I tried to call the embassy numerous times; however, no one has ever picked up the phone. :mad:
I tried email and fax; they have not got back to me yet :'(

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
Cypher said:
thanks for the reply
I tried to call the embassy numerous times; however, no one has ever picked up the phone. :mad:
I tried email and fax; they have not got back to me yet :'(
Yeah its always hard to get ahold of them
just keep trying and try at different times of the day
like early in the mornings, late in the afternoon, before and after lunch

someone is bound to pick up!

good luck :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Cypher said:
However, the COPR is only valid until the end of this year. Currently, she is 32 weeks pregnant; so she can't fly now. In addition, if we wait until the last few days before COPR expired; the baby will be just couple of months old, which personally I think is too young to fly.
Although, the visa office sent an information sheet along with COPR saying no extension of COPR is allowed, I would still like to try.
You have already been told that it can't be extended, so what is the point. She can travel up to the 36th week on Air Canada. So she either uses the COPR or you will end up re-applying for her. Your choice.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cypher said:
If you want to try, you can send them a case specific enquiry from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/seoul.asp .

I haven't heard of anyone extending status once the CoPR is issued. In contrast, I have heard of people reapplying for sponsorship after they let one CoPR/visa expire (starting from scratch the second time around).

A couple other thoughts:
- If your wife feels up to it, you could fly to Canada, land, and then go back to Korea for the birth before actually moving. If you are a Canadian citizen, you could get a temporary passport for your baby while you get the citizenship certificate for the move. If you are a PR, the situation will be much more complicated:
- FWIW, most airlines allow unrestricted travel for the first 8 months so she could technically fly for for at least the next 4 weeks or so (e.g., Air Canada allows: "A woman with a normal pregnancy and no previous history of premature labour may travel up to and including her 36th week on Air Canada and Jazz."; Korean Air also allows travel through the 36th week with a physician's note within 72 hours of travel for passengers with single pregnancies and no complications) and I know of infants flying for several hours as young as a couple days old. Not suggesting you should do something you are uncomfortable with - just giving you perspective that the VO may have from a broader audience.

Cypher

Feb 7, 2012
OhCanadiana said:
If you want to try, you can send them a case specific enquiry from http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/seoul.asp .

I haven't heard of anyone extending status once the CoPR is issued. In contrast, I have heard of people reapplying for sponsorship after they let one CoPR/visa expire (starting from scratch the second time around).

A couple other thoughts:
- If your wife feels up to it, you could fly to Canada, land, and then go back to Korea for the birth before actually moving. If you are a Canadian citizen, you could get a temporary passport for your baby while you get the citizenship certificate for the move. If you are a PR, the situation will be much more complicated:
- FWIW, most airlines allow unrestricted travel for the first 8 months so she could technically fly for for at least the next 4 weeks or so (e.g., Air Canada allows: "A woman with a normal pregnancy and no previous history of premature labour may travel up to and including her 36th week on Air Canada and Jazz."; Korean Air also allows travel through the 36th week with a physician's note within 72 hours of travel for passengers with single pregnancies and no complications) and I know of infants flying for several hours as young as a couple days old. Not suggesting you should do something you are uncomfortable with - just giving you perspective that the VO may have from a broader audience.

Thanks for your thoughtful input. ;)