+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of BOWP while Express Entry is still in Progress

nataimages

Dec 13, 2017
Hi guys,

I need help choosing the correct answers to apply for an extension on BOWP. I applied for PR under Express Entry over a year ago now and it is still in progress due to Background Check. As my bridging work permit is about to expire, I need to apply for an extension of bridging work permit. I am also pregnant from a Canadian citizen and expecting a child in 3 months time (however I applied for PR through express entry and not through my partner). Could you guys help me choose the correct answers to this questionnaire as I seem to give incorrect answers (after spending countless of hours trying different variations).

What would you like to do in Canada?
ANSWER: Work
How long are you planning to stay in Canada? ANSWER: Temporary (less then 6 months), Temporary (more then 6 months), Permanently
Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen?
ANSWER: Yes (here I am not sure as when i applied for PR, I didnt put my partner, Canadian citizen, as my common-law partner)

Whats is your current status in Canada?
ANSWER: Worker

Does one of the following apply to you?

• I am subject of a removal order that is unenforceable
  • I applied for a study or work permit before entering Canada which was approved, but not issued at a port of entry; or
  • I am a primary or secondary student with visitor status in Canada; or
  • I am a visiting or exchange student with visitor status in Canada; or
  • I am a student who has completed a program of study that is a prerequisite to my enrolment at a designated learning institution with visitor status in Canada; or
  • I applied for permanent residence and was found eligible (first stage approval) under one of the following classes:
    • Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada
    • Humanitarian and Compassionate cases
    • Protected Persons in Canada
    • Live-in Caregiver in Canada
ANSWER: NO

Are you a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of a person who:
  • Holds a Work Permit for a job in National Occupation Classification O, A, B;
  • Holds a study permit and is a full-time student at a university, community college, CÉGEP or other authorized educational institution;
  • Holds a Temporary Resident Permit that is valid for six months or more;
  • Applied for Permanent Residence to an office in Canada and was determined to be eligible for Permanent Resident status (first stage approval)
  • Is subject of a removal order that is unenforceable.

Are you a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of a person who is:

• a foreign government officer in Canada on an exchange agreement
  • a military personnel assigned to Canada
  • a participant in professional sports activities or events
  • an employee of a foreign news company
  • a religious worker

Have you been told by an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada?

ANSWER: YES

Have you submitted a permanent resident application in Canada?

Do you have a written job offer?

What is your marital status?
ANSWER: Common-Law

Then it gives two choices Open Work Permit or Work Permit (in Canada). Which one should I choose?

Are you accompanying a family member who has status in Canada?
No

Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
ANSWER: NO (its now been over 12 months since I had it and applied for PR)
If I answer YES (then in the checklist it gives me an option to submit a medical exam but I applied for PR results went straight to the immigration office)

Have you lived in a designated country or territory for more than six months in the last year?

Do you want to submit an application for a family member?
Answer: NO

ON THE CHECKLIST

it asks me to provide the proof of medical exam (required) - What do I do here? It's been over 12 months since I did it for PR and I cant do another one since I am expecting a child

Then they ask for a form 5707 family information form.... I thought I need common-law form here....

Thanks guys! I have been doing rounds and rounds and I cant seem to pick the correct answers. Please help!

Kind Regards,
Natalia

Binabik

Star Member
Aug 15, 2017
Canada
Hi,

• Lying is not an option, therefore you should include your partner in your family information. You should also update your PR application and let CIC know that you are now common-law, via the webform (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp).
Then it gives two choices Open Work Permit or Work Permit (in Canada). Which one should I choose?
  • You should pick Open Work Permit since you want a BOWP.
Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
  • You must answer No since your exam is too old. You can postpone the medical exam (but not avoid it), in that case the application will be delayed as well (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=987&top=4). Check with your panel physician, they will be able to give you an informed answer and explain to you your options.

nataimages

Dec 13, 2017
Hi,

• Lying is not an option, therefore you should include your partner in your family information. You should also update your PR application and let CIC know that you are now common-law, via the webform (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp).
  • You should pick Open Work Permit since you want a BOWP.
  • You must answer No since your exam is too old. You can postpone the medical exam (but not avoid it), in that case the application will be delayed as well (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=987&top=4). Check with your panel physician, they will be able to give you an informed answer and explain to you your options.
Thank you but that means I would have no medical insurance without a work permit to give birth to my baby.... Not very good news... It's an extension on my bridging work permit and I already had to do medical for PR just 1.2 years ago. So I still have to answer No or I could provide a letter of explanation?

Binabik

Star Member
Aug 15, 2017
Canada
I honestly don't know whether CIC will accept a letter of explanation, I suggest you talk to a panel physician and possibly try to call CIC as well.

murthycps

Star Member
Jul 5, 2014
There is also a case of mine. How do I apply for extension of BOWP.
I have graduated in 2014, applied for AINP(alberta) in 2015 March and got Nomination in Dec 2016. As the nomination is not under express entry, I applied on Paper application on Jan 30, 2017 well before expiry of my pgwp work permit as well as AINP nomination validity. My PGWP was originally from July 2014 till July 2017. So, I applied in May 2017 for BOWP as I got acknowledge receipt and Nomination certificate. So, I got BOWP till May 15, 2018. Now the paper processing times is 18 months and will definitely cross May 2018 validity of bowp permit. what are the conditions for BOWP extension. My AINP nomination expired at present, but I applied for PR before it expires, got acknowledge receipt. then applied for BOWP. Now BOWP is about to expire. I need extension of this work permit till I get PR processed.
Can you help me with this please?