+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of an open PGWP

Naaz kaur

Star Member
Jul 6, 2015
hello everyone,

i have a question regarding to bridge an open work permit/renew open work permit. Right now i am on open PGWP which is going to expire in March. But my employer already got LMIA approved.I ll be getting my ITA soon. I am bit confused here should i go for extension of my current work permit And how i can do that and how long does it take?
Thanks!

scell

Jan 31, 2011
From what I understand, you can't extend your PGWP (the validity of pgwp corresponds to the duration of study in Canada). In you case since you are confident that you will be getting an ITA, wait till you get an ITA and apply for a Bridging open work permit. This permit is issued to those who have an active PR application in process.

AM198

Star Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scell said:
From what I understand, you can't extend your PGWP (the validity of pgwp corresponds to the duration of study in Canada). In you case since you are confident that you will be getting an ITA, wait till you get an ITA and apply for a Bridging open work permit. This permit is issued to those who have an active PR application in process.
I'm quite sure that someone who has a positive LMIA is not eligible for a bridging open work permit. It's either in the main body of the requirements website for that or somewhere in the bottom.

The best bet would be to apply for the LMIA based work permit before your PGWP expires and then most likely, before they've even finished processing that application, you will get your PR. If you have alrady applied for the work permit and your PGWP expires in the meanwhile, you will be on implied status with all the conditions of your PGWP applying to you until you get a decision on the LMIA work permit.

Elitelove87

Sep 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottowa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-08-2015
Doc's Request.
Celpip
Nomination.....
July-9-2015
AOR Received.
20-08-2015
I think you can apply for a BOWP but it has to be within 4 months before it expires so hopefully by the you will have ITA and at that point you can apply using ypur AOR while your PR app is being processed
Naaz kaur said:
hello everyone,

i have a question regarding to bridge an open work permit/renew open work permit. Right now i am on open PGWP which is going to expire in March. But my employer already got LMIA approved.I ll be getting my ITA soon. I am bit confused here should i go for extension of my current work permit And how i can do that and how long does it take?
Thanks!

anarsoul

Jul 12, 2014
Naaz kaur said:
hello everyone,

Thanks!
I'd suggest applying for LMIA-based WP first and then for EE. Assuming that PGWP holders can't benefit from implied status (PGWP can't be extended => no implied status), it's the safest way for you to stay in Canada. If you apply for EE and then for BOWP, you'll have to change your status to visitor or leave Canada as soon as your PGWP expires.

bc_canada

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can't extend your PGWP
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=676&t=29