+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of a Tourist Visa passed the “30 days before expiration” (Italian in Canada)

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Hi, I briefly explain my situation.

- I arrived in Canada last May 5 (2017) with the plan to complete a year of cohabitation with my boyfriend and then fly back to Italy and proceed with the application from there (Common Law Outland application)

- In september 2017 I extended my Tourist Visa which will be expire on May 1st of this year

- In May 5th I will complete 1 year

- On May 10th I have my flight back to Italy

Now, I am uncovered for just 10 days. I tried yesterday with my boyfriend to go to the border and ask for an extension but the officer, although was very nice and very kind, couldn’t do that for me as my current tourist visa is still on going.

I don’t have other choice than apply online (even if 100 CAD fee for just 10 extra days is quite of a waste of money but that’s ok).

My current visa cover me until May 1st am I too late to extend it?

Please, please help me if you can!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I briefly explain my situation.

- I arrived in Canada last May 5 (2017) with the plan to complete a year of cohabitation with my boyfriend and then fly back to Italy and proceed with the application from there (Common Law Outland application)

- In september 2017 I extended my Tourist Visa which will be expire on May 1st of this year

- In May 5th I will complete 1 year

- On May 10th I have my flight back to Italy

Now, I am uncovered for just 10 days. I tried yesterday with my boyfriend to go to the border and ask for an extension but the officer, although was very nice and very kind, couldn’t do that for me as my current tourist visa is still on going.

I don’t have other choice than apply online (even if 100 CAD fee for just 10 extra days is quite of a waste of money but that’s ok).

My current visa cover me until May 1st am I too late to extend it?

Please, please help me if you can!
Hi

The 30 days is just a suggestion, not a requirement. You can apply up until your status actually expires.

Do you have definitive common-law proofs starting from May 5th, 2017?

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Hi

The 30 days is just a suggestion, not a requirement. You can apply up until your status actually expires.

Do you have definitive common-law proofs starting from May 5th, 2017?
Oh ok thanks, you are confirming what the agent just said to me on the phone.
As for CL proofs starting on my arrival day I have flying ticket, tons of pictures and actually my name is on my bf rent agreement since 2016 as well as a joint account. As personal proofs I have all the expenses done with my own credit cards (which I can print out and add as documents), online shopping delivered to our address and other mail delivered to our address. As I live on my savings I obviously couldn’t contribute to the rent. Do you thing that may be not enough?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Oh ok thanks, you are confirming what the agent just said to me on the phone.
As for CL proofs starting on my arrival day I have flying ticket, tons of pictures and actually my name is on my bf rent agreement since 2016 as well as a joint account. As personal proofs I have all the expenses done with my own credit cards (which I can print out and add as documents), online shopping delivered to our address and other mail delivered to our address. As I live on my savings I obviously couldn’t contribute to the rent. Do you thing that may be not enough?
Your flight ticket and pictures are not common-law proofs.

Were you living with him in 2016? If you were already on the lease and have joint bank statements from at least March 2017, you should be fine.

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Your flight ticket and pictures are not common-law proofs.

Were you living with him in 2016? If you were already on the lease and have joint bank statements from at least March 2017, you should be fine.
No, before May 2017 we had a long distance relationship that means me going back and forth Italy - Canada and this since mid 2014.

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
Are letters from friends common law proofs? What else if not me showing living at the same address would be?
Thanks for your answer :)

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
By the way we signed a joint bank account sometime in late 2016. I never needed to use the card related to it because I can provide myself my personal expenses and shopping (I have some savings). Obviously since I can’t and couldn’t work I could not contribute to rent.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Are letters from friends common law proofs? What else if not me showing living at the same address would be?
Thanks for your answer :)
They are supporting proofs. Proving common-law means proving you lived at the same address.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
By the way we signed a joint bank account sometime in late 2016. I never needed to use the card related to it because I can provide myself my personal expenses and shopping (I have some savings). Obviously since I can’t and couldn’t work I could not contribute to rent.
You only need to submit the statement page showing your names and address.

marnot

Star Member
May 19, 2014
One more question:

Am I required to start the application right away when I get to Italy?

Thanks!