Extension of a Post Graduation Work Permit after extending the Passport

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hello everyone,

last year I applied for Post graduation work permit and I got it for 1.5 year, till now I can't get any full time job and it's gonna expire in November, my question is , Can I still extend my work permit or it is over for me ?

Thank you
I advise you to apply for extension anyway since you don't want to leave Canada. go for some part-time jobs at least. good luck

In order for you to extend your status as a worker, you need a valid LMIA otherwise PGWP is only given out once to each applicant . If you applied an extension without LMIA, for sure it will be rejected.

lovecanada001

Star Member
Jul 5, 2017
In order for you to extend your status as a worker, you need a valid LMIA otherwise PGWP is only given out once to each applicant. If you applied for an extension without LMIA, for sure it will be rejected.
But if He got his Post graduation Work permit 1.5 year due to his passport expiry, as per Candian Rules and Regulations He is eligible to extend his PGWP (only if the candidate completed their two-year or more of studies in Canada)

At the end only I can say, is all it depends on case to case.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
2 separate people asking questions. Would be best if people would create their own question and note post on others.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
But if He got his Post graduation Work permit 1.5 year due to his passport expiry, as per Candian Rules and Regulations He is eligible to extend his PGWP (only if the candidate completed their two-year or more of studies in Canada)

At the end only I can say, is all it depends on case to case.
Maybe read the posts again :

Roya2201 got a short PGWP due to passport expiry so can apply to extend with a new passport.

Rogerard on the other hand unless I missed it got 1.5 years, had no passport issue so therefore cannot extend.

As per the previous post everyone gets confused when people mix up posts and answers.

Roya2201

Jul 20, 2017
HI
I have a valid work permit until 22/02/2020 and am fulltime worker. my Visa expired. completing IMM5257E I don't know how to answer these:
- Visa Requested. is it visitor or transit?
- Details of visit to Canada
Purpose of My Visit. Do I need to go for other? then what is a proper answer?

Thank you.

nera kassem

Jul 27, 2018
I have a question, my brother received a post grad work permit for 6 months only due to passport expiry date. he was able to find a job after but he was laid off shortly after , after that he had to go to Egypt to renew his passport (note: he was not able to renew his passport in Canada ). now he received a new passport and would like to come back. CIC told me he should be able to get extension for an open work permit. what is the package he needs to fill out? as every time I fill out the questionnaire on CIC website I get the option that he is only eligible to visitor visa and I am very confused and do not want to fill out the wrong package ? also if he applies can he apply for visa at the same time? ir he would have to appl for a visa after receiving the work permit extension

habro

Jul 30, 2018
Hi,

I am eligible for a 3 year PGWP but my PGWP was only issued for 1 year 6 months due to the passport expiry. I have a remark on my PGWP saying that It was issued till passport expiry and that I am eligible for a 3 year PGWP. Meanwhile, I have been working and have applied for PR through express entry (CEC) . I submitted my PR application on July 20th 2018 and my PGWP expires on December 22nd 2018. Now, I am deciding what to do. Should I wait and hopefully my PR will come in time before December 22nd but that is only 5 months from the date I applied and CIC website says that the PR processing time is 6 months and less. So I could get it in time but there is a chance that it might not be approved by the time my PGWP expires. Or should I apply for an extension of PGWP, am I still eligible for a 3 year PGWP ? since my first PGWP wasn't issued for 3 years and has remarks on it. or am I not eligible for a 3 year PGWP anymore since I submitted my PR application. or lastly, should I be looking into getting a bridging work permit? This is the least favorite of mine since it requires getting an LMO which I am not sure if my company would be willing to provide.

Any help and advice in this matter will help me a lot.

Much appreciated.