+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension approved and no Visa

siddharth1101

Star Member
May 3, 2018
NOC Code......
URGENT!!!
Hello All, my wife's visitor visa extension was approved while she was in Canada. The passport has an old stamp with the expired visa, we only recd a Visitor record. Time went by and we completely forgot about it until she went to India and was stopped at the airport while coming back. Since the Visitor record cannot be used to reenter Canada. She is now in India and I was thinking what would be the best course of action? Please Help!

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
URGENT!!!
Hello All, my wife's visitor visa extension was approved while she was in Canada. The passport has an old stamp with the expired visa, we only recd a Visitor record. Time went by and we completely forgot about it until she went to India and was stopped at the airport while coming back. Since the Visitor record cannot be used to reenter Canada. She is now in India and I was thinking what would be the best course of action? Please Help!
so the extension is of your stay in Canada not of your actual visa. Once you leave your stay is over and then to come back to the country you would need a valid visa.
How long was she in Canada for? what is your status in Canada?

Reactions: k.h.p.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
URGENT!!!
This is because a visitor extension does not extend a visa, it only gives you a visitor record.

If she is not in Canada, she needs to apply for a new visa.

siddharth1101

Star Member
May 3, 2018
NOC Code......
so the extension is of your stay in Canada not of your actual visa. Once you leave your stay is over and then to come back to the country you would need a valid visa.
How long was she in Canada for? what is your status in Canada?
Just got off the call with IRCC. She will need to apply for a TRV from India, that can be a 2 week process.

I am here on a Work Visa. She was granted only a 6 month visa earlier because her passport was expiring, we applied for a new passport after coming to Canada and then reapplied for her Visitor visa. She got approved and we recd the visitor record but nowhere did it mention that there is a next step to the process and a complete oversite on our part that we did not notice that the visitor record is not valid for reentry. What a bummer

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Just got off the call with IRCC. She will need to apply for a TRV from India, that can be a 2 week process.

I am here on a Work Visa. She was granted only a 6 month visa earlier because her passport was expiring, we applied for a new passport after coming to Canada and then reapplied for her Visitor visa. She got approved and we recd the visitor record but nowhere did it mention that there is a next step to the process and a complete oversite on our part that we did not notice that the visitor record is not valid for reentry. What a bummer
Two weeks is optimistic, it can take longer.

You didn't re-apply for a visitor visa, sadly. You applied for a status extension.

Wish you luck for the visa application.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Not sure if spouses of work permit holders also qualify for inland TRV applications; that process is usually reserved for those with valid work or study permits, and visitors usually can't apply for TRVs inside Canada. That may have led to the hiccup in the application, if you used the online questionnaire.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Not sure if spouses of work permit holders also qualify for inland TRV applications; that process is usually reserved for those with valid work or study permits, and visitors usually can't apply for TRVs inside Canada. That may have led to the hiccup in the application, if you used the online questionnaire.

1. You are correct only students and workers can apply for TRVs in Canada. Though she could have applied on line "out of Canada' while visiting Canada.