+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending your work permit with PNP?

Avneesh Mehta

Jan 15, 2019
Hello,

I came to Canada as a student 2012-2016. I got a post graduate work permit that's valid until May 4, 2019. Last year, I applied for permanent residence through the provincial nominee program. This was the paper based (not express entry) application. My stream for the Ontario Nomination was "International student with job offer". Since I'm within 4 months of expiration of my status, I wish to extend my work permit. There was a letter provided to me with my provincial nomination to assist in doing this. While going through the process online, I had a few questions related to the form -

1. Do I check "Applying for work permit with same employer" or "apply for work permit for first time or with new employer"? I have been with the same employer since graduation, but since that was on an open work permit, I'm uncertain of which one of these is appropriate now.

2. What type of work permit are you applying for? What do I enter in this field? Is it "open" or "other" or "LMIA exempt"?

3. There is nothing about an employer compliance in the online requirements, but it is stated in the provincial nominee letter and I read about it online. Does this apply to me? Since I was initially hired for my current position (which is also the basis of my PR application) in June last year, while on an open work permit.

Anyone been through anything similar? Any and all assistance is appreciated.

Thank you,
Avneesh

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Look at your nomination letter first. Is it employer restricted. If yes, you need to apply for a closed work permit and that's where the employer compliance fee comes into play.
If your nomination is not employer restricted, you can apply for an open work permit

Avneesh Mehta

Jan 15, 2019
I believe it is employer restricted. So based on this information, what would I he filling in the form in the categories I was unsure of and what needs to be communicated to my employer?

Thanks,
Avneesh

Mu Mu

Nov 18, 2018
I believe it is employer restricted. So based on this information, what would I he filling in the form in the categories I was unsure of and what needs to be communicated to my employer?

Thanks,
Avneesh
Hi, I am facing with the same problem with you. My post graduate working permit will expire soon, and have been approved with oinp under the internation student stream with job offer. Should I apply for closed working permit? I tried to fill the form, but shows I need to provide employee number. Did you use the employee number for application? Thank you.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Hi guys!
I am on PGWP and waiting on my nomination letter from Ontario but i am in the express entry pool. My work permit is expiring Jan 15,2024. I am hoping my PR will take sometime to process and i might get out of status by then. How can i apply to extend my work permit to work beyond its expiry. I am a bit confused on this.
Thanks for your time

Riyaz01

Aug 26, 2023
Hi guys!
I am on PGWP and waiting on my nomination letter from Ontario but i am in the express entry pool. My work permit is expiring Jan 15,2024. I am hoping my PR will take sometime to process and i might get out of status by then. How can i apply to extend my work permit to work beyond its expiry. I am a bit confused on this.
Thanks for your time

I am facing same problem, my work permit expires in april 2024. and i will be apply my OINP and express entry this week. what should i do ?

Riyaz01

Aug 26, 2023
Hi guys!
Thanks for your time
Hey can we extend our work permit if we are nominated with OINP Employer Job Offer: International Student stream ?

Riyaz01

Aug 26, 2023
I have not received the nomination yet. I will be applying this week.
Can you guide me more on this ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have not received the nomination yet. I will be applying this week.
Can you guide me more on this ?
Do you mean applying for the nomination this week - or applying for the work permit extension this week?

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
In this case you cannot extend your work permit. You need a nomination letter and work support letter from Province to extend it .
Do we get the work support letter from Ontario along with the Nomination or do we have to ask for it separately?
So after we receive provincial nomination we are eligible for BOWP? I heard its only after AOR. Can i also extend my spouse work permit if i get BOWP?