+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending visitor visa while waiting for application to go through

Mushroom

Jan 17, 2011
Hi everyone,

To give a little background on our current status, we have submitted a outland spousal/family class sponsorship application back in about April. First stage has passed and approved, now it is at Seoul, South Korea for the 2nd portion of the process, and is currently showing as "received". When my wife came here, she received a visitor visa, and now we're looking to extend it for another 6months/1 year while waiting for the application to finalize.

With that said, what are our options at this point? I know we can extend it through online, but should we be mentioning that she's waiting for our sponsorship application to go through? Reference the client ID or something along that line? Or not mention it at all, and treat it as a regular visitor visa extension?

Thank you in advance for any advice you are able to provide,
Mushroom

Crillz

Star Member
Jul 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/05/2011 (Refiled due to IO mistake)
File Transfer...
12/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
02/08/2011
LANDED..........
04/09/2011
Mushroom said:
Hi everyone,

To give a little background on our current status, we have submitted a outland spousal/family class sponsorship application back in about April. First stage has passed and approved, now it is at Seoul, South Korea for the 2nd portion of the process, and is currently showing as "received". When my wife came here, she received a visitor visa, and now we're looking to extend it for another 6months/1 year while waiting for the application to finalize.

With that said, what are our options at this point? I know we can extend it through online, but should we be mentioning that she's waiting for our sponsorship application to go through? Reference the client ID or something along that line? Or not mention it at all, and treat it as a regular visitor visa extension?

Thank you in advance for any advice you are able to provide,
Mushroom
Definitely mention it, its a valid reason to extend. You should send it by mail as the processing time is much much longer and she will be on implied status for up to 4 months before they look at your application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM1249E.PDF

That is the form you have to fill out and send to extend.

Mushroom

Jan 17, 2011
Thank you Crillz for your informative reply. We were also wondering, since this will be visitor visa extension due to wait time for sponsorship application being in progress...would the bank account balance still play a role? I know through the regular the visitor visa extension, they look at your bank account statement and what not to determine eligibility...but does this also apply in this case as well? Or is it disregarded due to her being with me (the sponsor/husband) for the duration of her stay.

Thank you in advance again for any information regarding our question above.

Crillz

Star Member
Jul 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01/05/2011 (Refiled due to IO mistake)
File Transfer...
12/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
02/08/2011
LANDED..........
04/09/2011
Mushroom said:
Thank you Crillz for your informative reply. We were also wondering, since this will be visitor visa extension due to wait time for sponsorship application being in progress...would the bank account balance still play a role? I know through the regular the visitor visa extension, they look at your bank account statement and what not to determine eligibility...but does this also apply in this case as well? Or is it disregarded due to her being with me (the sponsor/husband) for the duration of her stay.

Thank you in advance again for any information regarding our question above.
I am by no means an expert but I applied last month for an extension in the same situation. We expected to get our PPR well within the 3-4 month wait before they look at our file, so I wasn't that worried. But we included both our bank balances, also the receipt for our PR application and the file number. I included the bank balances just to show I have funds for a flight home should it be rejected and showing my sponsor has a full time job and can support us. You could also include a letter from the sponsor just saying she is paying for everything etc.

At the time I found this thread helpful:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/visa-extension-processing-time-t60269.0.html