+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending Visitor`s Visa (more than 6 months stay?)

config-terminal

Jan 26, 2018
Hi, my mother has just arrived on a visitor visa. Her visa expires in 2025. She can only remain in Canada for 6 months at a stretch. I have two questions.

(1) How can I extend her current stay so she can stay with us for more than 6 months? I believe its called getting a visitor record. I am not sure of the process. If someone has gone through this, please let me know briefly what it looks like and what kind of extension is added to the base 6 months.

(2) If we don`t/can`t extend her stay, and she has to leave Canada, when can she return back? Is there a rule/criteria where she has to spend x number of days outside of Canada (in her home country) before returning back to Canada or can she return the next week and have the 6 months stay again?

Thank you in advance and feel free to ask more details if the questions aren`t clear. :)

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1) Apply for a visitor status extension. It will give you a visitor record, if approved.

2) No, there's no rule, but staying a long time in Canada and a short time out of Canada would cause CBSA to be suspicious your mother never intends to leave. A short trip out before returning would be a red flag.